Various hockey concepts...

elliott

Penguins concept=awesome! I love that penguin, it's 1000% better than the cartoon they have now. Yours is more fitting for the NHL. It's tough, streamlined, and sharp. As chestnutz said, there's too much white in the logo though. Add some more black to the bird, particularly around his belly and his wings. I would also like to see bigger fists because it's a logo and you're taking liberties, right? To cut down on the white, you could also make the triangle all yellow. I, at one time, thought of doing a secondary of an igloo. I think you pulled it off better that I could. It's really gutsy to add yellow to an igloo without making it look like it was made with yellow snow. I think I would try making the word penguins bigger and arc Pittsburgh around the top curve of the igloo. I believe it would add a dynamic element instead of all the straight wordmarks with an object that has no straight edges. I don't really care for the numbers, unfortunately.

I always love when you come out with a new concept, Elliott. They're all clean and well thought out. You have extraordinary talent. I would also like to comment on your C+C. You take the time to try to help people develop their concepts and we need more of that around here.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to like the Penguins concept, but I can't quite get there.

I do like the colors and the jersey striping, good job there. I admire the effort on the numbers, but I don't really think they look very good (the black and yellow create a very hard edge, which is jarring), especially the 4.

I admire trying a fairly original look for the primary logo, but there are too many quirks to allow me to really like it. First, the "flippers" ("wings"?) look odd, especially due to all the yellow and white highlights and the strange club-like shapes at the tips (almost like he has tiny little fists). Along the same vein, the feet seem to be slightly off, though it's harder to put my finger on the exact cause. Lastly, I think his general size/positioning/pose is bothering me. First, he's mostly big white belly with symmetric highlights, and the first thing I see continues to be an egg (his body) instead of having my eye drawn to the face. I'd say refine that full-body logo (especially look at how to balance shadows and highlights instead of just reflecting the same ones on each half) and use it for the alternate logo, while using a mostly head-and-beak logo for the primary. To me, it would be simpler and more effective.

Finally, I'm really not feeling the igloo logo. I think it's a good idea conceptually, but right now, it feels like a very basic shape with two lines of type slapped on, with the whole thing pasted over a triangle. It all just seems a little too forced together and arbitrary. I'd love to see you keep the igloo idea, but it just needs some refinement.

I hope all that didn't seem overly negative, because I think you've actually got a fairly solid start. Keep working at it.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Update, logos:

-simplified chest detail near the bottom

-Removed neck detail, I'm rethinking it, and it might be better without it

-made triangle all yellow (not sure if I like this)

-changed the arms, more black

-the secondary is tweaked, wordmark on top is bigger and white, the igloo has more white to stand out against the all yellow triangle

Jerseys:

-not much here, just updated logos accordingly, and I dropped the bevel for now, I made the black jersey have yellow numbers and the white has black, but the c and a patches are opposite

Alt update is coming. I still am iffy about the new all yellow triangle.

PensRebrand_update.gif

PensRebrand_h2.gif

PensRebrand_a2.gif

Capitals on the way...

I think the primary logo is growing on me. At first I didnt like it, because it looked like the penguin was trying to say " look at me, I can sit on an egg ^_^ "

but it is really starting to look better, and I really like it. Way better than what they have now. The Igloo logo is an interesting idea, and the update is near perfect. I really like the jerseys to, especially the alternate. Great Job on the Pens, can't wait to see if you did something entirely different with the caps.

Well, I watched a little of the Sharks game last night, and on the players thumbnail pictures on my tv screen the jerseys looked rather light blue as opposed to teal, which was the basic inspiration behind this concept. I went with a sky blue, I guess you could call it that, black, and a small amount of medium-tone silver, dropping yellow for a color scheme much more like their last one. As you can see, I tweaked the logo, getting rid of the triple outline on the triangle, some of the bits of stick flying off, and also editing the stick to make it less cartoony. The striping scheme is based off a shark fin, hopefully you see it because that is what I was concentrating on. Then I just got a little crazy, so it might be my most interesting template of the thread. The road features some unexpected color substitutions, adding some gray, which is sort of reminiscent of the pre edge jerseys. The font for the numbers I believe is called alexandria, and the NOB font is called aldo semibold, I think. The sleeves were already somewhat cluttered so I elected to leave off a shoulder logo.

Comments are appreciated. Also a few more comments would be nice for the Blackhawks; when it was posted all of the interest seemed to be on one of patsox's crappy concepts, and I think this one merits a few more. I am going to make a few edits to it in the coming days, possibly dropping yellow from the jersey striping.

Thanks for viewing guys.

Sharks2009.gif

I like this sharks concept better

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

The igloo is not readily apparent as an igloo.

I had to really look at it--so maybe that could be cleaned up a bit, but overall--nice work

Front images work well for hockey jerseys.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

It's moving in the right direction. Make the feet yellow and add more black to the sides of the belly and you may have it. When we think of penguins, we think of tuxedos, which are black. When I look at you penguin, I think white. In the current penguins logo, they have a yellow triangle because the bird is just black and white.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Ok, I've actually finished the Pens update, but it's kinda...minor, so here are the Capitals instead.

This is kinda different. I decided to update the old crest logo, not the eagle one of course. The first difference you will notice is the new wordmark. It's completely custom and I actually enjoyed making this font, the Penguins one was much more tedious. The capital building itself is tweaked in it's highlight color and in the way it curves with the wordmark. The sticks and puck are the same, the stars have a similar placement, but they have a different outline design. The secondary is the current patch logo, one of the most genius logos I have ever seen, honestly. So it had to stay.

Colors are the current navy (the previous identity used a much lighter blue and black) and the previous gold color. My reasoning: Red and blue is very very obvious for a team in DC, and the Nationals use it, while going with the old color scheme is far too close to the Wizards. So the middle ground was taking a little from each, and it's a scheme that ties in with the Nats and Wiz, but is still different.

The jerseys also have the diagonal stripes for a specific reason. You will remember that the blue/black/gold unis from the earlier part of this decade had two different templates for home and away. The dark jersey had diagonal sleeves but a straight hem, white uni had the opposite angle of diagonal sleeve striping and a weird "checkmark" design on the hem. So once again I found middle ground, taking a simplified diagonal pattern from the hem of the old roads and the basic shape of the pattern from the old home sleeves.

The striping on the home is meant to make white dominant over the gold, making a design that focuses on the sharp contrast between navy and the lighter colors. But the gold is still visible. On the roads I attempted to make the two colors more evenly divided, and I wanted both navy and gold to be very visible.

So, comments are appreciated, I love the red and blue that the Caps wear now but I was just trying something different!

Capitals2009.gif

Capitals2009_h.gif

Capitals2009_a.gif

Nothing absolutely groundbreaking, but it's nice. The crest is nice, and the font is pretty cool. I think the weagle looks good in pretty much any colors, so it works here. The unis are pretty cool, the only thing bugging me is that the back numbers look too close to the striping, but that's just me. Nice job.

Hey Elliott

I was never a big fan of this logo. I much prefer the original logo that they are using now. I must say though that I really like the choice of jersey you went with and the colour scheme. The diagonal striping looks good for Washington.

Limerick

The Caps set is nice. I like the updates to the bugsplat logo, but I don't think it fits well with the eagle logo. And while I understand why you took them back to blue and gold, and it looks good, when I think the caps anymore I think of lots of red.

I know its cliche', but they're Washington, and they're the Capitals. Its so fitting, that the cliche' of red white and blue is almost forgotten.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived