Various hockey concepts...

elliott

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I've had a lot of free time this weekend, so I completed some more stuff.

Flyers Alternate: Besides the numbers, there isn't much white here, so I just used a VERY simple striping scheme to accent the contrast between black and orange.

Flyers2009Alt.gif

Blue Jackets:

This single star motif was inspired by the bug mascot guy they used to have, he just had a single star on each part of his collar, I don't know, I just used that as the main idea and it evolved from there. The blue jersey is inspired from the simplicity of Columbus' old home jersey. Obviously in a much more modern format. I included much more gray than they use currently because the logo package features gray, and I didn't want it to only be in the logos. Much like the old aways, the white jersey has blue in unexpected places, just coming out of nowhere, kinda, which seems random, but that's what I was going for. Number font is custom, nameplate font is an (slightly) altered version of Agency. The breezers continue the single star theme and they are meant to have the jersey design continue down slightly.

Shoot me some comments.

BlueJackets2009-2.gif

I'm surprised that, on a concept as good as this one, there have been ZERO comments. I guess it's just that Easter lull, huh? Anyways, this is really, really nice. The Flyers alt compliments the home and road perfectly- nice and simple, but looks great. I'm also a big fan of the Blue Jackets set. Really clean, no extraneous stuff. I like your hockey concepts; they're all fairly traditional, but not bland. The star motif and the red striping do a lot. There are a couple issues though, in my opinion. First, the logo feels like it's too complicated to go well with the jerseys. I'm usually a proponent of the intricate logo=simple jersey (or vice versa), but in this case I feel that the logo just doesn't fit in. Also, for an identity that is almost totally silver-free, the silver typography on the home set feels out of place. I'd make it white, but you know best. Great work.

scotland_fifasig.png

The road for the Jackets looks amazing, the home just needs white underneath the red/star and should be just as good

Like what you did with Philly, different, not too different, not the same stuff I usually would see (which is great)

torontotcap.png

Canadiens | Blue Jays | Alouettes | Nets | Expos

Facebook

Thrashers- I really like that you decided to go with the "blue" route. You've managed to simplify the look yet keep it modern. I really like what you've done with the logos. They look much better without the needless colour clutter.

I do prefer your original powder blue alt to the later one though. It seemed separate enough from the primary set to really stick out, while still being true to the overall look of the other two sweaters. The later one looks to much like the home and roads. Plus I really like how the yellow/gold pattern looks against the white. That would look amazing in person.

Flyers- Very bold, very Flyers-like. It's not a traditional Flyers design, but it does work with the logo. The striping pattern and colours are different enough from the Canadiens that it works. I also like the minimalist black alt. It goes perfectly with home and roads.

Blue Jackets- I would lose the grey name/numbers on the home sweater. For one thing those would be difficult to read IRL (well more so then white would be anyway). Also, the Blue Jackets reference the Union soldiers of the Civil War, who fought the grey-clad Confederates. Call it red Patriots jersey syndrome if you must, but I think grey's a colour the Blue Jackets need to keep to a minimum.

Other then that though, I really like what you've done, merging the modern Edge styling with a Blue Jackets-like striping pattern. I'm not sure how well those pants stripes will work though, I think they'll mostly be obscured by the sweaters. Maybe make them a tad longer?

I really like the white Jackets jersey. Agree with some people though that the grey has to go, like the Patriots red as mentioned. Why not make the blue jersey's numbers white with red trim? Also, a third jersey with the kepi hat seal as the main logo? I personally would like to see the Jackets go to a darker blue and used with a lighter blue with red only used as trim. Not many Civil War unis in the north has red except for the few Zouave units from New York. All in all great designs. Really think Columbus should have chosen a different name as the Buffalo Sabres pretty much have this logo design niche locked up.

wingssuck.jpg

Courtesy of PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

What up? I'm back with another one, it's hard to mess with the Blackhawks but I decided to do it. First of all, the logo package is updated, I got rid of all of the different colored feathers, tweaked the facial features, and also tweaked other small things like outlines and feather detail. The secondary is changed accordingly. I left the orangey-yellow alone in the face, but decided to use it in the uniforms. Each uniforms' general idea is based on their current home, but on the home and away I extended the arm stripes to the end to match the hem. The alt shifts away from this a little. I used a very small amount of yellow on the striping on the home and away to keep it as an accent. It ends up having a pretty similar home jersey to the norm, a very different away jersey, and a pretty different alt although the average fan might not notice. But you guys will, of course.

I also made the edit of white numbers on the home for the blue jackets. It is updated in the original post in place of the old one.

Thanks for viewing. Comments are welcome and appreciated.

Blackhawks2009.gif

Blackhawks2009Alt.gif

Cant say that Im a fan of the Hawks concept. When I look at them I think Calgary Flames, not Chicago Blackhawks. Im not a fan of the striping pattern and I think the Hawks logo is perfect as is.

Make the name white on the black jersey as well, red name and numbers doesnt look that good in my opinion.

beLEAF

Pretty good. The thing about that crest, though, is that though the version of the logo since 2000 has yellow-orange skin, the one stitched on the front has a much darker, almost metallic brown.

toews-blackhawks-392.jpg

Unless you wanted a consistent yellow-orange, of course.

I think the magic of the Blackhawks uniform, the reason so many people rank it as one of the best, is the aesthetically pleasing alternating of contrasting colors. If you go head to toe, not only does it go black helmet, red sweater, black shorts, red socks, black skates, but within the sweater/shorts/socks, you have repeating black and white stripes (white and red on the shorts). Every color is represented well and "broken up" well. Not only that, but the greens, yellows, and blues of the crest that don't appear anywhere else really make that pop. By taking away some of those things, you take away some of what makes it so popular. There's now too much red on the white set, whereas black and red got close to equal time. There's less striping on the reds, which leaves those big white spots on the sleeves looking a little blank. The black sweater, which is my least favorite part of the real set, is actually pretty good here, except you can't be sure red numbers outlined in white will work, and you can be sure plain red letters on black won't.

It's hard to go after untouchables, but I still think you did a good job independent of whatever cache the originals have acquired.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, I watched a little of the Sharks game last night, and on the players thumbnail pictures on my tv screen the jerseys looked rather light blue as opposed to teal, which was the basic inspiration behind this concept. I went with a sky blue, I guess you could call it that, black, and a small amount of medium-tone silver, dropping yellow for a color scheme much more like their last one. As you can see, I tweaked the logo, getting rid of the triple outline on the triangle, some of the bits of stick flying off, and also editing the stick to make it less cartoony. The striping scheme is based off a shark fin, hopefully you see it because that is what I was concentrating on. Then I just got a little crazy, so it might be my most interesting template of the thread. The road features some unexpected color substitutions, adding some gray, which is sort of reminiscent of the pre edge jerseys. The font for the numbers I believe is called alexandria, and the NOB font is called aldo semibold, I think. The sleeves were already somewhat cluttered so I elected to leave off a shoulder logo.

Comments are appreciated. Also a few more comments would be nice for the Blackhawks; when it was posted all of the interest seemed to be on one of patsox's crappy concepts, and I think this one merits a few more. I am going to make a few edits to it in the coming days, possibly dropping yellow from the jersey striping.

Thanks for viewing guys.

Sharks2009.gif

This is a really nice concept for the Sharks because I have never really liked the shade of teal that they use and I feel their jerseys are very bland for what they could be. The template works very well, although it might be a little too busy. Why is gray used on the roads? I think you should ever us it on the home jersey also or leave it out altogether. Or you could change the colors so they go like this:

-black changed to teal

-teal changed to white

-gray changed to black

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Sorry Elliot but this is a huge downgrade. The striping pattern is really modern and the numbers look terrible with no outline. The logo doesnt suit the new colours you chose and the whole concept doesnt fit the Sharks.

beLEAF

wow, these are excellent. i really love the flyers, i dont think you could have done any better. The Sharks is also good. I think the lettering on the back looks a little strange (particularly the N), but really, these are still coming out really well. keep up the good work!

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

Archived