Edmonton Capitals Unveil New Logo & Unis

Burmy

http://www.capsbaseball.ca/web/guest/0424-logo-unveiling

Edmonton Capitals Unveil New Uniforms & Logo

Edmonton, AB - A little blast of winter in early spring didn't stop the boys of summer from an exciting unveiling of the Edmonton Capitals new uniform and logo. The Caps rolled out their new look by rolling up to Churchill Square and a baseball game broke out in front of hundreds of curious onlookers in the downtown core. The new jerseys decked out in white, Edmonton Oilers blue and Vintage Oilers orange have a traditional look to them while creating an appeal for the younger fan.

"One of the most exciting aspects of launching a new brand is to give it an identity and see that identity come to life." said Edmonton Oilers President & CEO and Capitals Governor Patrick LaForge.

"You can tell this team belongs in the Oilers' family and the kids will have fun with a new character that will really make its mark on the Edmonton sports scene."

The secondary logo on the shoulder patch features the new Edmonton Capitals super hero character whom fans will have a chance to name in an upcoming contest. He appears standing with his arms crossed, holding a baseball with Edmonton's downtown horizon in the background all framed with a cape and set in front of a spectacular, signature Edmonton River Valley sun set.

The players are going to love it." exclaimed Capitals Manager Brent Bowers. "Any professional ball player should take a lot of pride when they put that jersey on every day. Our new jersey is definitely something to be proud of. The new logo and colors have a fresh, clean look that this ball team needs. It's very classy."

Edmonton native Sheehan May is the winner of the ' Capitals Design The Logo Contest and will receive 2 Edmonton Capitals Season Seats in the reserved grandstand plus a plaque displayed at Telus Field recognizing his contribution to the team.

Keep checking www.capsbaseball.ca for details on the Capitals upcoming 'Name The Mascot' contest.

Club Seats, Season Seats, the Telus Field famous BBQ area packages and group seats are all on sale now. Season seats are available for less than $9 per game. Call (780) 414-GOAL (4625) to purchase tickets today.

Uniform description is on the website...but here's the logo for y'all (img code won't work there for some reason): http://www.capsbaseball.ca/image/image_gal...t=1240549149893

Captain Ed (that's what I'd call him) is here to save the day! (not in the "relief pitcher" sense either)

bYhYmxh.png

Oh my head ...

Welp, I guess there's no harm in putting this out there now ... this is what I had submitted ...

edmontoncapitals3.gif

I had done another one with the Boston Truckstyle font that I thought looked sharp, but in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't submit that one, as the Tijuana team is using that same font.

Once upon a time (when Simon/Bosack created the original GBL team logos), the GBL was the toast of the town from a branding perspective.

With this new look, they have morphed into the ABA, and that, my friends, is not a compliment.

Cards.png

Glenn, your idea is much better than what they went with, but nobody needs to point that out, it is obvious. I do like the colors a lot, and the jerseys sound nice...but that logo is odd to me. I feel that the super-hero theme can work well if done right(could pull in kids and adults alike), but this logo makes it look like a joke IMO. I hope their secondary logo is boss, and since it seems like a nice organization I'll pray that their logo and theme pulls in every child in the area.

When I looked at it, the 1st thing that came out of my mind was "SPACE GHOST COAST TO COAST!"

SGC2Cv2-1.jpg

Agreed.

Another thing I'd like to point out: with the addition of Tiujana and with Edmonton changing their colors, there are now 4, count 'em, 4 GBL teams with some sort of navy blue/orange color scheme: Orange County, St. George (though the orange is more of a burnt orange/copper), Tiujana, and now Edmonton. I was really hoping that they'd use another color scheme, but oh well. Aside from Space Ghost, the logo looks pretty good.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

*Sigh* I miss the Trappers.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's a good look ... like a mash-up between the Mets and Oilers.

Of course, practically anything would be an improvement over the "Cracker Cats", which was one of the lamest, most contrived names ever. (It was derived from catalytic cracking, which is a step in the oil refining process. Apparently this somehow made it "relevant" to Edmonton.)

I agree with Sodboy, though. The Trappers had a great name and logo, especially the last green-and-gold version when they were owned by the Eskimos. (What is it with sports teams owning other sports teams in Edmonton?)

Perhaps "Edmonton" should be stitched individually and directly to the jersey. The big white field seems too noticeable up close, but no doubt wont be visible from the stands...

Just my 2 cents...

Archived