Back In The Game?

Linus

It also keeps Detroit from bitching if another Western team moves East.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the Divisional Alignments, why would they not just do it like this:

Eastern

Northeast:

Toronto

Hamilton

Buffalo

Ottawa

Montreal

Atlantic:

Boston

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey

Philidelphia

Southeast:

Florida

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Washington

Atlanta

Western:

Pacific:

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Jose

Dallas

Nashville

Northwest:

Colorado

Calgary

Vancouver

Edmonton

Minnesota

Central:

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Columbus

St. Louis

Chicago

This would create the potential for a Crosby vs Ovechkin final. A Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia final. It makes the owners in the west shut up about not being able to see Crobsy or Ovechkin every year. And it keeps all the Canadian teams in two divisions like they currently are.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

The PA in the past has stated their desire for a team in Southern Ontario to increase league revenues, therefore increasing the salary cap.

...but not a week before the season was slated to start...

You really think that would be enough of a reason for the PA to turn down an increased cap and an owner who likes to spend?

Players get traded all the time, the union isn't going to be up in arms because 23 players all get "traded" from Arizona to Ontario in September.

Well it'd be an entire team, not just a couple of players. I could see some complaints about that.

Furthermore, I could see everyone having problems with travel. Any team on a hypothetical Dallas/Colorado/Phoenix/LA trip let's say now has to fly from Denver to Hamilton and back to LA...and how about back-to-backers with San Jose or something like that? It's not just "trading" 23 players.

The union would absolutely LOVE to have the team in Hamilton, I would just think at this point they wouldn't mind waiting until 2010-11...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Eastern

Northeast:

Toronto

Hamilton

Buffalo

Ottawa

Montreal

Atlantic:

Boston

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey

Philidelphia

Southeast:

Florida

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Washington

Atlanta

Western:

Pacific:

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Jose

Dallas

Nashville

Northwest:

Colorado

Calgary

Vancouver

Edmonton

Minnesota

Central:

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Columbus

St. Louis

Chicago

This would create the potential for a Crosby vs Ovechkin final. A Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia final. It makes the owners in the west shut up about not being able to see Crobsy or Ovechkin every year. And it keeps all the Canadian teams in two divisions like they currently are.

See, now that's far and away the best realignment proposal I've seen. I know you'll lose Pittsburgh's ties to the east and Boston/Montreal, so that may be unwanted by many, but geographically it's the best one yet here...

And Nashville I guess is your obligatory "Braves in the NL West" sacrificial lamb...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Hamilton is the western most team of the 'Ontario three.' Why would Toronto move when another Eastern team is further west?

Precedent. They were in a division with Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis for years.

EDIT: then against so were the Hamilton Blackberries when they were the Winnipeg Jets. G'hey!

EDIT 2: Haha, "then against," that was a Freudian slip. My trepidation regarding the way this is gonna screw over the Sabres and OHL is manifesting itself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Eastern

Northeast:

Toronto

Hamilton

Buffalo

Ottawa

Montreal

Atlantic:

Boston

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey

Philidelphia

Southeast:

Florida

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Washington

Atlanta

Western:

Pacific:

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Jose

Dallas

Nashville

Northwest:

Colorado

Calgary

Vancouver

Edmonton

Minnesota

Central:

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Columbus

St. Louis

Chicago

So we shoot a bunch of rivalries in the face on the off chance of a Stanley Cup final.

BRILLIANT!!

Here's an idea that minimizes disruption and makes everyone happy. Except for possibly Balsillie. And we're not really concerned about his happiness.

Eastern Conference: Same Alignment

Western Conference

Central

Detroit

Columbus

St. Louis

Chicago

Nashville

Pacific

Colorado

Dallas

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Jose

Northwest

Hamilton

Edmonton

Calgary

Vancouver

Winnipeg

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sweet!!!

A Realignment thread!!! So much for info regarding the sale - soon every post will be someone's not-thought-out plan to realign divisions based on moves that may never happen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's all a moot point if the NHL has their way.

Just playing Devil's advocate... what would happen if Balsillie wins and says, "it's my team, I'm moving it", and flips off the NHL? I think that revoking a franchise under any circumstances would be a bad thing, so maybe JB can force their hand?

philly.png

Just playing Devil's advocate... what would happen if Balsillie wins and says, "it's my team, I'm moving it", and flips off the NHL? I think that revoking a franchise under any circumstances would be a bad thing, so maybe JB can force their hand?

I'm also curious about that. How can the league dissolve a team if the owner has not relinquished its control over to the league?

I found this on the HFBoards: NHL Constitution . This is available since it had to be admitted in court and all legal documents are made public. The document is the declaration from Bill Daly. Exhibit A contains the NHL Constitution (p.25).

The interesting part is #3 - Membership (starting at page 27 of the PDF), especially section 3.5 onwards.

• NHL Constitution - 26-56
  • NHL ByLaw 35 (Transfer of Franchise Ownership): 58-59
  • NHL and NHL Enterprises licensing agreement: 61-77
  • NHL ByLaw 36 (Transfer of Franchise Location): 79-83

Information found here: NHL Constitution (and more) is now available for reading

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Hamilton

Edmonton

Calgary

Vancouver

Winnipeg

I didn't think you of all people would Make It Eight.

Minnesota's practically in Manitoba anyway.

Today, we are all otaku.

Sweet!!!

A Realignment thread!!! So much for info regarding the sale - soon every post will be someone's not-thought-out plan to realign divisions based on moves that may never happen.

Meh....information of the sale gets drowned out in propagandizing anyway. It's not about the sale, it's about humiliating teh evol B3ttm4n!!!!1111one

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm also curious about that. How can the league dissolve a team if the owner has not relinquished its control over to the league?

I found this on the HFBoards: NHL Constitution . This is available since it had to be admitted in court and all legal documents are made public. The document is the declaration from Bill Daly. Exhibit A contains the NHL Constitution (p.25).

The interesting part is #3 - Membership (starting at page 27 of the PDF), especially section 3.5 onwards.

• NHL Constitution - 26-56
  • NHL ByLaw 35 (Transfer of Franchise Ownership): 58-59
  • NHL and NHL Enterprises licensing agreement: 61-77
  • NHL ByLaw 36 (Transfer of Franchise Location): 79-83

Information found here: NHL Constitution (and more) is now available for reading

More particularly, read section 3.9 b x (pg 33) and section 4.2 (pg 36). It pretty much says in plain language that if Balsillie attempts to move to Hamilton against league will, they will start franchise termination procedures. Section 3.10 (pg 33), BTW, covers that. Also section 3.13 (pg 35) says that Balsillie suing over a franchise termination is against the bylaws

Also...I'm not a legal scholar, but I think Section 3.10 (h) says that Bettman can simply put the Coyotes under league control in such a situation without necessarily having a vote prior to that action. Better yet, Balsillie gets the bill for running the team.

Today, we are all otaku.

The NHL would take the cake as the most inept league ever if they moved the Pens to the Western Conference.

More inept than MLB who had the Braves in the NL West?

It only sounds strange because the conference is named "Western". If they did away with the geographic thing, it would be fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

you were think the nhl would like to have someone pay more for a team (the $242 Million to $140 Million).

Only reason why it's $100 Million more is the NHL does not count Jerry Moyes or Wayne Gretzky as creditors

Archived