Back In The Game?

Linus

I'm just not ready to give up on ____. The fans didn't fail to support their team, the team failed to support their fans. The league can't give up on a team just because they can't sell tickets to perennially awful hockey inconveniently located in the suburbs. If this team had been good like ______ up the road, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Wasn't that (mostly) a quote from this very thread?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really understand why that was posted at all. It's pretty well true, whether it becomes redundant or not.

Success in a new market simply won't be found in less than one generation. And certainly not with the path this organization has took. It requires time (a generation plus) and success, two things the franchise has not had.

But then, the first 20+ pages were devoted to that argument, and I thought we had let is pass, but I suppose not.

I don't think I'm ready for Florida Panthers apologists. I'll suffer the excusemongers for the Coyotes, because their arena is newer. The Panthers aren't even relevant enough to incite an epic ownership apocalypse. What a staggeringly worthless sports franchise.

http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/index.php/2009/03/florida-panthers-fan-exposes-herself-on-live-tv/

Case in point: this happened. How did I not know until now? Because it happened at a Panthers game, that's why. Usually, I keep abreast of such stories. G'HOY.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/118554-owners-may-dump-panthers

Don't look now, but there is another Phoenix Coyotes situation on the National Hockey League horizon. The Florida Panthers were supposed to be sold this summer, but quietly no deal was ever agreed to with the difficult owner Alan Cohen, and those who know the situation best wonder what comes next. The current owners clearly want out. They didn't even bother to replace Jacques Martin as general manager this summer. They are operating on a shoestring budget and rumblings are the owners may consider abson is about to begin, especially considering what this summer in bankruptcy court has been like for the league. Make no mistake, the trouble is there, even if commissioner Gary Bettman won't readily admit it.

Concerning the bolded, how does that happen in ANY major pro sport? I mean, training camps have started up and they don't have a GM and haven't been looking. They've basically said ":censored: it." That's just terrible ownership, and it's sad that it seems like nobody wants the team either.

I gotta agree with admiral here...the Florida Panthers are easily the most "meh" franchise in the Big 4 sports right now. They seriously haven't been relevant since they won the Eastern Conference a decade and a half ago.

And while my tendency is always towards preserving franchises in their current city, I don't think I'd have much to say about the Panthers. The franchise has been around a bit longer than Phoenix (though not really long enough), and Miami has just shown itself to be a very lukewarm to hockey and their baseball franchise. The region wouldn't be left for dead as the Lightning do fine. And where as I feel the Coyotes have a solid base if they could just get some worthwhile leadership to push them through, I don't see that in the Florida franchise.

Ideally you'd find a way to make it work in Miami, but I won't go scratching tooth and nail on that one.

Works good for everyone?

Not quite. You're ignoring the fact that the manner in which Balsillie has, to date, gone about trying to acquire an NHL franchise has rankled a majority of the league's current owners. As a result, said current owners aren't inclined to want Mr. Balsillie joining their ranks. Perhaps the spectre of a messy resolution to the Florida Panthers' sale will soften their opposition to Mr. Balsillie acquiring an NHL team... but, I wouldn't bank on it.

Bottom line? Balsillie's burned bridges with the NHL's franchise owners. That doesn't bode well for his being allowed to join their "private club".

Works good for everyone?

Not quite. You're ignoring the fact that the manner in which Balsillie has, to date, gone about trying to acquire an NHL franchise has rankled a majority of the league's current owners. As a result, said current owners aren't inclined to want Mr. Balsillie joining their ranks. Perhaps the spectre of a messy resolution to the Florida Panthers' sale will soften their opposition to Mr. Balsillie acquiring an NHL team... but, I wouldn't bank on it.

Bottom line? Balsillie's burned bridges with the NHL's franchise owners. That doesn't bode well for his being allowed to join their "private club".

I still get the feeling, however, that should he have a spare $300 million lying around if/when they decide to expand, they'll welcome him in with open arms, considering they'll each pocket about $9.7 million in the deal.

If they let him buy an existing team, they get nothing. If he buys an expansion team, side by side with Bruckheimer, then everyone goes home happy.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You make an excellent point, but they will get something if Bassillie buys the team - they'll split his relocation fee, which IIRC will end up being about half what an expansion fee would be.

I'm still stunned that the league has let two franchises degrade so far.

I'm willing to let the Coyotes and Panthers move if it makes them--and the league--better. I know it's been a beaten dead horse, but there are cities--in both the U.S. and Canada--that would be more interested in hockey than it seems Miami and Phoenix are at this point.

Works good for everyone?

I still get the feeling, however, that should he have a spare $300 million lying around if/when they decide to expand, they'll welcome him in with open arms, considering they'll each pocket about $9.7 million in the deal.

If they let him buy an existing team, they get nothing. If he buys an expansion team, side by side with Bruckheimer, then everyone goes home happy.

The league could also fold the team following the 09-10 season (should they not find a buyer and assuming they win the auction) then award an expansion team to whomever to pocket more revenue.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If I am Jim Balsillie right now, I say "Ok creditors, Glendale, and the NHL, how much money do I have to pay so that you guys are all :censored:ing happy, how much money do I have to pay so that the lease agreement is done, and how much money do I have to pay the NHL to buy this team and move it to Hamilton. I don't care how much it is cause I'll make it all back anyway, I'll pay however much I need to pay. And if it makes you happy I'll play in Phoenix this year to prove to you that the team can't make money here. Then next year I'll play in Hamilton." Can you imagine Gary's reaction to that?!?!

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

If I am Jim Balsillie right now, I say "Ok creditors, Glendale, and the NHL, how much money do I have to pay so that you guys are all :censored:ing happy, how much money do I have to pay so that the lease agreement is done, and how much money do I have to pay the NHL to buy this team and move it to Hamilton. I don't care how much it is cause I'll make it all back anyway, I'll pay however much I need to pay. And if it makes you happy I'll play in Phoenix this year to prove to you that the team can't make money here. Then next year I'll play in Hamilton." Can you imagine Gary's reaction to that?!?!

Yeah, I can. He'll just sit there and say "no thanks."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Works good for everyone?

The league could also fold the team following the 09-10 season (should they not find a buyer and assuming they win the auction) then award an expansion team to whomever to pocket more revenue.

As much as I would not like to see this happen, I wouldn't be surprised if the league did this.

baltimoreravens.png

Works good for everyone?

As much as I would not like to see this happen, I wouldn't be surprised if the league did this.

Same feelings here. Pulling an Indiana Firebirds does not bode well for the state of the league.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Works good for everyone?

Same feelings here. Pulling an Indiana Firebirds does not bode well for the state of the league.

At this point, what does bode well for the league?

Works good for everyone?

At this point, what does bode well for the league?

A quick and decisive plan to correct the Phoenix and Miami situations. Hell, merge these two teams, put them in Kansas City, and sell an expansion team to Bruckheimer for Vegas. The league sees one (theoretically) stronger team emerge, and $10 million into the coffers of the other teams' and league's coffers.

However, the NHL has a track record of doing the wrong thing, and not bothering with due diligence. They're the CFL on a continental level. In the last 10 years, the only thing they've gotten right is the Winter Classic, and even then, they're on the high road to flurking that one up, too.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

He'd repeat that money is not the problem, but if Jimbo were to literally offer his own head on a silver platter as a good-faith offering, Bettman might reconsider. After receiving the head, of course.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Works good for everyone?

Agreed, this would be a serious black eye for the NHL, as if the lockout wasn't helpful. Getting rid of a franchise is me thinking, we can't control a team, what can we do? Sure, one franchise isn't a big deal, but what if this happens again & again? I have to agree with the masses, Phoenix & Florida just need to move elsewhere or something else, there need to be at least some cities that appreciate this great sport, instead of the whole flash in the pan.

We deserve better...

baltimoreravens.png

Archived