Back In The Game?

Linus

Looking at preseason attendance figures is a dishonest way of guaging whether the city supports the team or not. With the economy the way it is, how many folks are willing to spend money to a game that doesn't count?

The Georgia Dome was maybe 40% full at their last preseason game...does that mean Atlanta doesn't care about the Falcons? (For the record...the first game was sold out, as is tomorrow's game as well.)

I'm not going to judge if Atlanta cares about the Falcons, because I just don't know, but in most NFL cities, the preseason is sold-out (or nearly sold out) just because season ticket holders are forced to buy 10 games rather than 8. Even if many of those ticket holders give their seats away, many stadiums are still full (or nearly full.)

I was in the building for said game. It was a Thursday night game, neither teams' starters were allegedly playing....I doubt non-STH ticket sales were high.

A lot of it depends on the number of season tickets sold by a team... since the Colts sell all but around 1,000 tickets as season ones, the preseason games are sold-out (and well-attended).

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True - preseason game attendance is a lousy way to measure fan support. It's the pathetic regular season attendance numbers which spell doom for the Coyotes.

Interesting note about no season ticket holders wanting to pony up. Needs a whole lot of context, though. I wonder what the standard percentage is of other teams' season ticket holders who pay the full amount this early in camp.

I knew that preseason games aren't exactly well-attended across the board, but I was pointing out that it just seemed that there were a lot more empty seats in Jobing.com Arena than at American Airlines. I didn't say that American Airlines was packed.

It's true, however, that the results--the unadultered, unspinned results--will come in early October.

Speaking of results, are we going to find out who owns this team?

Credit: The Arizona Republic

Judge to weigh Coyotes mediation

by Carrie Watters - Sept. 21, 2009 05:13 PM

The Arizona Republic

"No decision on the Coyotes auction seems likely in the next few days as the judge has set a hearing for 9 a.m. Wednesday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

At the hearing, Judge Redfield T. Baum will consider ordering mediation between team owner Jerry Moyes and the National Hockey League.

Moyes' legal team last week requested mediation with the NHL and a third-party mediator to discuss key points surrounding Jim Balsillie's bid to purchase and move the team. The points included Balsillie as an owner, the amount of a relocation fee and the logistics of moving the team to Hamilton, Ontario.

After the NHL declined talks, Moyes sought the court-ordered mediation.

The hearing is expected to last no more than 30 minutes.

The issues cited for mediation are among those argued in court before the team's auction on Sept. 10 and 11, in which Balsillie and the NHL bid for the franchise.

Baum is expected to rule on which bidder, if any, wins."

From TSN.ca

PHOENIX - Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie has pledged to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Glendale this season if he wins an auction for the financially troubled club.

His lawyers say the club would play in Glendale this season, which opens Oct. 3, but Balsillie still intends to move the team to Hamilton as part of his US$242.5 million bid.

The revised offer came during an emergency hearing Wednesday before bankruptcy Judge Redfield T. Baum, who called Balsillie's proposal "a fairly significant change."

The judge called the hearing on owner Jerry Moyes' request to force the NHL into mediation over contentious issues surrounding the club's sale.

Baum was expected to rule on the mediation issue later in the day.

Good move by Jim. Now if only he could be convinced to move the team somewhere else than Hamilton.

thecatch.jpg

I'm not going to give Jim that much credit: it's the goddamned 23rd of September. The show wasn't going anywhere this year. He should've articulated the inevitable a lot sooner. Now both sides are going to stay put for a year so that the city of Glendale can squeeze out its last few pennies out of the horrible idea that was the NHL in greater Phoenix, then buy out the lease and GTFO. The only difference here is that Balsillie will pay more for the privilege than the league will. Fairly significant change indeed. Have we finally reached the endgame?

Greater Phoenicians: am I correct in my understanding that the Coyotes haven't signed a television deal for this season?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm not going to give Jim that much credit: it's the goddamned 23rd of September. The show wasn't going anywhere this year. He should've articulated the inevitable a lot sooner. Now both sides are going to stay put for a year so that the city of Glendale can squeeze out its last few pennies out of the horrible idea that was the NHL in greater Phoenix, then buy out the lease and GTFO. The only difference here is that Balsillie will pay more for the privilege than the league will. Fairly significant change indeed. Have we finally reached the endgame?

Greater Phoenicians: am I correct in my understanding that the Coyotes haven't signed a television deal for this season?

From what I've heard, you're correct; there is no tv deal for the Coyotes right now.

From what I've heard, you're correct; there is no tv deal for the Coyotes right now.

Moyes Plea to Glendale City Officials

Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes pleaded with the Glendale City Council on Tuesday to accept $25 million for backing Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie's bid to relocate the team. He squeezed his comments into 2 1/2 minutes allotted to him at the end of a regularly scheduled council meeting.

The council could not respond because Moyes' comments were not on the agenda. The longtime Glendale resident said after the meeting that the council "has their head in a hole."

City spokesman Gary Husk reiterated confidence that a local owner will make the team successful.

"Other owners can be better at doing their job," he said. "They have better experience."

The NHL plans to keep the team here for this season while it searches for a local owner.

basically he now has the same deal as the NHL... except worth more money for the creditors... so if it doesnt go to him its going to no one...

Did I miss the part of Jim's offer where he's going to be looking to re-sell the team to a Glendale buyer over the next year?

Or the part where he's not approved by the league? Or the part where it's more vulnerable to being overturned in an appeal? Or the part where GMac announces his plans to move to Hamilton and buy season tickets because otherwise he gains nothing from the team moving?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

From TSN.ca

PHOENIX - Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie has pledged to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Glendale this season if he wins an auction for the financially troubled club.

His lawyers say the club would play in Glendale this season, which opens Oct. 3, but Balsillie still intends to move the team to Hamilton as part of his US$242.5 million bid.

The revised offer came during an emergency hearing Wednesday before bankruptcy Judge Redfield T. Baum, who called Balsillie's proposal "a fairly significant change."

The judge called the hearing on owner Jerry Moyes' request to force the NHL into mediation over contentious issues surrounding the club's sale.

Baum was expected to rule on the mediation issue later in the day.

Good move by Jim. Now if only he could be convinced to move the team somewhere else than Hamilton.

I don't get how this is a "good move". It's the only thing possible. You can't move a team with only a week until the season starts and the schedules already set.

I don't understand how anyone who isn't a blind Balsille follower can give him any credit for this "concession". Not getting on you SenatorJake, it was just the first mention of it I saw in this topic. It really shows how desperate some people are to latch on to this guy who has painted himself as some sort of messiah when they're taking foregone conclusions as a sign of his goodwill and compromising. What a crock of ####.

basically he now has the same deal as the NHL... except worth more money for the creditors... so if it doesnt go to him its going to no one...

Did I miss the part of Jim's offer where he's going to be looking to re-sell the team to a Glendale buyer over the next year?

the leagues intention to sell to a local buyer is based on being able to rework the lease on jobing.com, so far glendale has basically said no to all parties on that front... and actually it was announced on the tv side of tsn that basille would back down if a suitable local buyer came forward, not sure why it wasnt mentioned in the above article. And it maybe my opinion but I really dont think the league cares about keeping the team in Glendale at this point.

Or the part where he's not approved by the league? Or the part where it's more vulnerable to being overturned in an appeal? Or the part where GMac announces his plans to move to Hamilton and buy season tickets because otherwise he gains nothing from the team moving?

and WTF 1) Ive been a penguins fan since i was 8 so honestly keep me the :censored: out of this just cuz im canadian doesnt mean i believe in this hockey doesnt belong in the south bs, I am looking at it from my point of view which has nothing to do with national pride, but if you want to get me started ask me how much we are gonna kill the states at the olympics...lol 2) He has been approved by the league once (yes when he almost bought and moved MY penguins) but this case in front of the judge has nothing to do with that this is a BANKRUPTCY hearing where the judge is looking for the best deal for the creditors involved. 3) as for the appeals it works both ways, no matter the out come the only winners will be the lawyers

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I believe the NHL's very reasonable defense would be "if we had known then what we know now, we would never have approved him back then."(ie, he would move the Penguins to Hamilton the day after the sale cleared)

And of course you'll clean up. Except in the events you don't. Exclusive practice rights tend to facilitate that.

As for the judge, he doesn't want to have his decision reversed by an appellate court. That's a bit of a black mark on the ole resume. A sale to the NHL is much less likely to be reversed than a sale to Balsillie.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Supersonics were allowed to fail, and they were actually relevant. Man, this league.

They were?

Relatively speaking, of course. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived