Back In The Game?

Linus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gretzky officially resigns as coach of Phoenix:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292399

Best news of the past several months, maybe even the past couple of years, for Coyotes fans.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So when does the Phoenix fire sale start?

Could this be a bigger mess?

Why cant they just let the team move to Hamilton?

1. Soon.

2. Oh, just you wait. If the League is allowed to buy the team and apply the same governance they have to the sport in general, it'll become a much bigger mess.

3. Ego. Bettman, and the people he represents, are even more arrogant than Basillie. Which is a pretty substantial accomplishment. :D

Once again, this whole situation is a complete cluster :censored: .

From TSN.ca

PHOENIX - Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie has pledged to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Glendale this season if he wins an auction for the financially troubled club.

His lawyers say the club would play in Glendale this season, which opens Oct. 3, but Balsillie still intends to move the team to Hamilton as part of his US$242.5 million bid.

The revised offer came during an emergency hearing Wednesday before bankruptcy Judge Redfield T. Baum, who called Balsillie's proposal "a fairly significant change."

The judge called the hearing on owner Jerry Moyes' request to force the NHL into mediation over contentious issues surrounding the club's sale.

Baum was expected to rule on the mediation issue later in the day.

Good move by Jim. Now if only he could be convinced to move the team somewhere else than Hamilton.

I don't get how this is a "good move". It's the only thing possible. You can't move a team with only a week until the season starts and the schedules already set.

I don't understand how anyone who isn't a blind Balsille follower can give him any credit for this "concession". Not getting on you SenatorJake, it was just the first mention of it I saw in this topic. It really shows how desperate some people are to latch on to this guy who has painted himself as some sort of messiah when they're taking foregone conclusions as a sign of his goodwill and compromising. What a crock of ####.

I don't see it as a sign of goodwill and compassion at all. I see it as the first concession made in this circus of a bankruptcy court hearing. So perhaps instead of saying "good move" I should have said: "Finally, Jim Balsillie comes to his senses".

The NHL's position that they will continue to pay for the Coyotes franchise until a local owner comes about (which may never happen) is just as ridiculous as Mr. Balsillie's claims that he will move the team with less than a week to go before the start of the regular season. If you ask me, both sides are out to lunch when it comes to the future of this franchise.

thecatch.jpg

Well, may this have an impact?

RIM Stock Tumbles 10% on weak sales

From the link (Credit: Reuters)

TORONTO, Sept 24 (Reuters) - BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIM.TO)(RIMM.O) said on Thursday its profit dropped and gave an outlook that fell short of analyst forecasts heading into the holiday shopping season, sending its shares down almost 10 percent.

RIM said its quarterly profit slid 3.5 percent and that it added only 3.8 million new subscribers, at the low end of the forecast it had provided in June.

That suggests that recession and competition from Palm Inc (PALM.O) and Apple (AAPL.O), the maker of the popular iPhone, have taken a toll on RIM's growth.

Before the results, investors worried a sluggish economy in the United States and other big markets would cause companies to delay upgrades of the BlackBerry handsets used by their employees.

There was also concern that retail consumers -- a growing segment of RIM's customer base -- could opt for cheaper and less feature-rich mobile phones to save money.

With the economy appearing to be stabilizing and some recessionary fears abating, competition on the higher end of the market may now represent RIM's biggest challenge, said Tavis McCourt, an analyst at Morgan, Keegan & Co.

"Apple is still the biggest worry," McCourt said, adding that RIM's dominance of the North American smartphone market could erode as sales and availability of the iPhone grow.

So when does the Phoenix fire sale start?

1. Soon.

I doubt there can be much of a fire sale. Phoenix has to stay within $16 million of the salary cap, or else they forgo their share of revenue sharing and get whatever else punishment the NHL's CBA has in place.

Of course, if the NHL feels like Balsillie's going to win every legal battle to own the team, the NHL can make a crapload of lopsided deals to screw Balsillie before the ownership exchange takes place. I don't think Balsillie can challenge the moves the team makes if he's not owner of the team.

Phoenix has to stay within $16 million of the salary cap, or else they forgo their share of revenue sharing and get whatever else punishment the NHL's CBA has in place.

I like this. Millions of dollars in debt? Then you'd better spend money on players! Can't find anyone worth $4,000,000? Just overpay for someone who sucks!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Phoenix has to stay within $16 million of the salary cap, or else they forgo their share of revenue sharing and get whatever else punishment the NHL's CBA has in place.

I like this. Millions of dollars in debt? Then you'd better spend money on players! Can't find anyone worth $4,000,000? Just overpay for someone who sucks!

Here you go:

islesgoalies.png

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

"Apple is still the biggest worry," McCourt said, adding that RIM's dominance of the North American smartphone market could erode as sales and availability of the iPhone grow.

Haha, no kidding. And however much iPhone sales are increasing, they'd go through the roof if the AT&T exclusive deal ends.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Haha, no kidding. And however much iPhone sales are increasing, they'd go through the roof if the AT&T exclusive deal ends.

So true. I have a Blackberry but would upgrade to an iphone tomorrow if I didn't have to switch to AT&T to do so.

So since the auction, I have not followed this at all. Can someone get me up to date on everything?

Basically, nothing, other than the team will have to stay in Phoenix for the upcoming season. There has been no decision on who the owner of the Coyotes is.

Archived