Back In The Game?

Linus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHile they didn't get the team this was a big win for the NHL. Basillie's bid was rejected with prejudice meaning he can't bid against for the team. IF the NHL changes their bid to satisfy the judge they can re-enter the bidding (if they want to, with JB out of the picture they have time to find and get a deal done with Glendale for an owner).

Wow, I gotta agree with Chris on this one, is the league slowly trying to kill itself now?

No, they are protecting their rights under the law. The other three leagues supported this legal precedent as well.

This doesn't mean Hamilton is never getting a team and this doesn't mean that the Coyotes are staying in Phoenix forever,

1zgyd8w.jpg

It's amazing what great lengths this league is willing to go to ensure it's own demise

Letting Balsillie get his way would have been more harmful to the league, because it would have rendered the league constitution worthless.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I understand the NHL having the right to choose who owns a team, but I cannot fathom why you would reject, one of the richest men in the world from purchasing a team that is losing millions of dollars a year.

This personal vendetta that Bettman has for Balsilie is nothing more than an elementary school grudge, and in the end will end up hurting the rest of the league.

1zqy8ok.gif

Twelve.

I understand that it would wreak havoc on the stability of the league if bankruptcy courts were used to circumvent the ownership approval process, but the vendetta against Balsillie is nothing more than willful self-harm to a league that needs all the money it can get.

Watched a few videos about the efforts to save the Jets today. Pretty sad to watch how it all unfolded, the way everyone tried so hard in vain to keep that thing going. Rallies and pledge drives and publicly-owned ownership groups and there was nothing anyone could do. Now here we are with people who don't even go to the games themselves, let alone save-the-team rallies, saying in all seriousness "you don't really expect people to drive across town to Glendale, do you?"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I understand the NHL having the right to choose who owns a team, but I cannot fathom why you would reject, one of the richest men in the world from purchasing a team that is losing millions of dollars a year.

This personal vendetta that Bettman has for Balsilie is nothing more than an elementary school grudge, and in the end will end up hurting the rest of the league.

I'll put it in terms you understand. The precedent from letting Balsillie have his way would allow me (if I were also one of the richest men in the world) to buy the Maple Leafs or Canadiens and move them to Guadalajara, no questions asked, just for the heck of it. And there would be nothing the NHL could legally do about it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I do go to the games. It's out of the way, but I still go.

Saying that there's no hockey fans in Phoenix is just dead wrong.

By saying there are no fans in Phoenix, people are really saying that the paying customer base for Coyotes hockey relative to the size of the metro region is decidedly lower than the league average.

Actually, is that even true? I'd love to see a ratio of average attendance to metro population for the NHL and other sport.

I'll put it in terms you understand. The precedent from letting Balsillie have his way would allow me (if I were also one of the richest men in the world) to buy the Maple Leafs or Canadiens and move them to Guadalajara, no questions asked, just for the heck of it. And there would be nothing the NHL could legally do about it.

You're right of course, but the NHL being so obtuse as to not let Balsille in through normal channels -- especially when he wants to buy a product no one else wants -- is glaringly stupid.

I used to root for hockey, but they make it really, really hard to care.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived