09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

in response to Charger's comment on the mass exodus out of detroit.

um losing Hossa and a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners is not a mass exodus. Hossa does absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He had opportunities in the SCF to make plays and put the wings over but instead just drifted along and did nothing. I would venture to guess most wings fans probably are not losing sleep over him. As for the others, they are role players, grinders, character players. honestly they come a dime a dozen. It sucks losing them but they are easily replaced.

Hossa will be out until December with a rotator cuff injury. I think that shows hs was more than a floater in the playoffs. He was injured.

The Wings have lost:

Hossa 40 goals 10 on the PP

Samuelsson 19 goals 7 on the PP

Hudler 23 goals 6 on the PP

Kopecky 6 goals 1 on the PP

Conklin 25 Wins (the Wings had 51 wins total) and 6 SO

The Wings have lost 88 goals of offense (more than 1 per game) they have been replaced by patrick eaves and jason williams. How is there not a void there? I am very confident that Abdalkader, Leino and Williams will not be 25 goal scores to pick up the slack. Osgood had a horrible year. Without Conklin where do they finish? Lidstrom as great as he is will be 40 come playoffs will he be the Lidstrom that the Wings are used to?

How can they lose what they lost and be fine?

-Dan

You're forgetting about Darren Helm, who was an absolute ball of energy in the playoffs. I can't wait to see him play for a full season. I also think that Leino and Ericsson will have great seasons up in the show for a full year. Out of the guys the Wings lost, I think I'm most displeased about Hudler, but really, I'm kind of glad to see Samuelsson and Kopecky gone.

I considered Helm to be a current roster player and not a new addition. Sadly for the Wings he was their best forward in the last two rounds. After this playoff run I think Helm will be a 20-25 goal guy or a bust he will be one or the other. His playoff run was impressive.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in response to Charger's comment on the mass exodus out of detroit.

um losing Hossa and a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners is not a mass exodus. Hossa does absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He had opportunities in the SCF to make plays and put the wings over but instead just drifted along and did nothing. I would venture to guess most wings fans probably are not losing sleep over him. As for the others, they are role players, grinders, character players. honestly they come a dime a dozen. It sucks losing them but they are easily replaced.

Hossa will be out until December with a rotator cuff injury. I think that shows hs was more than a floater in the playoffs. He was injured.

The Wings have lost:

Hossa 40 goals 10 on the PP

Samuelsson 19 goals 7 on the PP

Hudler 23 goals 6 on the PP

Kopecky 6 goals 1 on the PP

Conklin 25 Wins (the Wings had 51 wins total) and 6 SO

The Wings have lost 88 goals of offense (more than 1 per game) they have been replaced by patrick eaves and jason williams. How is there not a void there? I am very confident that Abdalkader, Leino and Williams will not be 25 goal scores to pick up the slack. Osgood had a horrible year. Without Conklin where do they finish? Lidstrom as great as he is will be 40 come playoffs will he be the Lidstrom that the Wings are used to?

How can they lose what they lost and be fine?

-Dan

yeah they are losing 40 goals from hossa but if the expectation is playoffs and thats where you need your best players the most and hossa can't deliver in the playoffs what good is he? i admit he is a good regular season player, but you need him to be productive in the playoffs. that is where he fails.

as for the other, they got rookies on the farm that can give them that type of production. worst case scenerio they can claim somebody from waivers.

Conklin is a career back up goalie, and really shouldn't be looked upon to be the savior of the season. They can pick up any number of players to fill that spot. I really don't think they are too terribly worried about it.

The general management knows this team better than you and i. They know what they have and who is worth what. They know who can be replaced and who can't. if they were worried about this mass exodus of Hossa, conklin and role players then i'm fairly sure they would have made it a top priority to resign them. My guess is they looked at the roster and found them to be easily replaced.

since you aren't a wings fan you should happy about this massive exodus of talent. right? ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I?d love to see him back but there?s way too much work to be done just to get him back in the league and I don?t think anyone would want to take a chance on him even if that chance is only a year at the league minimum.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Theo Fleury attempting a comeback

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287047

Well, if someone gave Claude Lemiuex a shot last year, I guess this could happen. Probably shouldn't, but could.

Yeah, it could work but like for Claude Lemieux, he could be nothing more than a reserve player at best. If it doesn't work out, at least he's been sober for a while.

Roenick was way better on NHL '95 than Fleury. You could double-hat-trick with Roenick if you knew what you were doing.

I played with the Islanders in '95 and won. If you knew what you were doing you could win with any team.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Roenick was way better on NHL '95 than Fleury. You could double-hat-trick with Roenick if you knew what you were doing.

I didn't say Theo was the BEST player...he was just my favorite.

Theo out there with Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts = Awesomeness.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I played with the Islanders in '95 and won. If you knew what you were doing you could win with any team.

I was good at that game and even I couldn't do anything with the Panthers. Scott Mellanby. woo!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was visiting NHL.com and saw all this stuff on Roenick and then the thought crossed my mind, "If he was so outspoken, why don't I ever remember anything he said? If he was so good, then whey don't I remember anything he ever did on the ice?" I give him credit for scoring goals, etc. because I can't do that, but I wonder if the media has made him a "god" because he yapped. I understand 500+ goals is good, but the coverage of his retirement makes me feel like people think he's on par with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Howe, Richard, etc. I don't remember Luc Robitaille getting this much coverage. Heck Mike Gartner was a better player and scared me more than JR did. Heck Vinny Damphousse scared the hell out of me and did he retire? I have no idea. I'm just baffled about this love for JR. The only distinctive thing he did to me, was the year he showed up fat and out of shape for the Kings, I don't remember his play at all. I don't ever remember him scoring an important goal in an important time. Stephane Matteau left an impression on me with his goal for the Rangers against the Devils. JR left me with no memories.

As regards talking, Roenick is best known for telling fans to stay the hell away before or during the lockout. That or when he elicited Patrick Roy's famous "I can't hear him because I have two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was visiting NHL.com and saw all this stuff on Roenick and then the thought crossed my mind, "If he was so outspoken, why don't I ever remember anything he said? If he was so good, then whey don't I remember anything he ever did on the ice?" I give him credit for scoring goals, etc. because I can't do that, but I wonder if the media has made him a "god" because he yapped. I understand 500+ goals is good, but the coverage of his retirement makes me feel like people think he's on par with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Howe, Richard, etc. I don't remember Luc Robitaille getting this much coverage. Heck Mike Gartner was a better player and scared me more than JR did. Heck Vinny Damphousse scared the hell out of me and did he retire? I have no idea. I'm just baffled about this love for JR. The only distinctive thing he did to me, was the year he showed up fat and out of shape for the Kings, I don't remember his play at all. I don't ever remember him scoring an important goal in an important time. Stephane Matteau left an impression on me with his goal for the Rangers against the Devils. JR left me with no memories.

Slow news day?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

As regards talking, Roenick is best known for telling fans to stay the hell away before or during the lockout. That or when he elicited Patrick Roy's famous "I can't hear him because I have two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears."

Fixed!

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Archived