09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

A lot of people like to give Ken Holland all the credit. Honestly I think the credit really needs to go to Hakan Andersson their director of European Scouting. He seems to find all the hidden gems overseas. Holland was able to take over the '97 Cup champs and have free reign over Mike Illitch's check book until the cap came into play. How easy is it to sign Hasek, Hull, Robitalle, Joseph and Hatcher when money is no object? Hakan Anderson was able to find players like Holmstorm (257 Overall), Datsyuk (171 Overall, Andersson is believed to be the only NHL scout to observe him), Zetterberg (210 Overall), Franzen (97 Overall, according to stories told during local wing games Andersson pushed really hard for the wings to pick him in the 2nd round as a 24 year old) and Ericsson (291 Overall).

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Β 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love people's criticisms of Osgood. If he's so bad why does he have 3 Cups and two as starting netminder? Anyone would give anything to have Osgood in net during the post season. I don't care what a goaltender looks like, it's how you play during the post season that means everything. Osgood knows what he's doing and I'll take that over any of these so-called "great" goaltenders of the past 10 years. Luongo, Turco, whatever is in San Jose and Toronto, DiPietro, I've heard all these "great" goaltenders who have 0 Stanley Cup rings and Osgood has 3. I'll take a goaltender with 3 Cups over these nobodies any day of the week.

In his 3 playoff appearances outside of Detroit he managed a record of 7-12 with a SV% of 90 & a GAA of 2.52. So is the excuse he just had 3 off series or the defense in front of him wasn't good enough?

in response to Charger's comment on the mass exodus out of detroit.

um losing Hossa and a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners is not a mass exodus. Hossa does absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He had opportunities in the SCF to make plays and put the wings over but instead just drifted along and did nothing. I would venture to guess most wings fans probably are not losing sleep over him. As for the others, they are role players, grinders, character players. honestly they come a dime a dozen. It sucks losing them but they are easily replaced.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

um losing Hossa and a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners is not a mass exodus. Hossa does absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He had opportunities in the SCF to make plays and put the wings over but instead just drifted along and did nothing. I would venture to guess most wings fans probably are not losing sleep over him. As for the others, they are role players, grinders, character players. honestly they come a dime a dozen. It sucks losing them but they are easily replaced.

Hossa will be out until December with a rotator cuff injury. I think that shows hs was more than a floater in the playoffs. He was injured.

The Wings have lost:

Hossa 40 goals 10 on the PP

Samuelsson 19 goals 7 on the PP

Hudler 23 goals 6 on the PP

Kopecky 6 goals 1 on the PP

Conklin 25 Wins (the Wings had 51 wins total) and 6 SO

The Wings have lost 88 goals of offense (more than 1 per game) they have been replaced by patrick eaves and jason williams. How is there not a void there? I am very confident that Abdalkader, Leino and Williams will not be 25 goal scores to pick up the slack. Osgood had a horrible year. Without Conklin where do they finish? Lidstrom as great as he is will be 40 come playoffs will he be the Lidstrom that the Wings are used to?

How can they lose what they lost and be fine?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Β 

So JR called it a career today so I raise the question as one of the best American born players to ever play is he a shoe in for the Hall of Fame?

513 Goals

703 Assists

1216 Points

9 Time All Star

I think there's no doubt that he'll get in.

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

Hossa will be out until December with a rotator cuff injury. I think that shows hs was more than a floater in the playoffs. He was injured.

The Wings have lost:

The Wings have lost 88 goals of offense (more than 1 per game) they have been replaced by patrick eaves and jason williams. How is there not a void there? I am very confident that Abdalkader, Leino and Williams will not be 25 goal scores to pick up the slack. Osgood had a horrible year. Without Conklin where do they finish? Lidstrom as great as he is will be 40 come playoffs will he be the Lidstrom that the Wings are used to?

-Dan

Historically, aside from his one season with Pittsburgh, Hossa hasn't done much in the playoffs throughout his career. He didn't do much in Ottawa, he did nothing in Atlanta, and was a non-factor with Detroit. He needed the likes of Crosby and Malkin to produce in the playoffs.

Why shouldn't we believe that Detroit won't be near the top of the Western Conference standings next season? Most of their core is intact, they'll be in the same position they always are in come April.

The Wings have lost:

-Dan

Historically, aside from his one season with Pittsburgh, Hossa hasn't done much in the playoffs throughout his career. He didn't do much in Ottawa, he did nothing in Atlanta, and was a non-factor with Detroit. He needed the likes of Crosby and Malkin to produce in the playoffs.

Why shouldn't we believe that Detroit won't be near the top of the Western Conference standings next season? Most of their core is intact, they'll be in the same position they always are in come April.

I don't know where this idea came from, he was always a solid player for us in the playoffs. Almost a point-per-game guy. Now how many games they played is a whole different topic. :P

Hi, how are you?

The Wings have lost:

-Dan

You're forgetting about Darren Helm, who was an absolute ball of energy in the playoffs. I can't wait to see him play for a full season. I also think that Leino and Ericsson will have great seasons up in the show for a full year. Out of the guys the Wings lost, I think I'm most displeased about Hudler, but really, I'm kind of glad to see Samuelsson and Kopecky gone.

Bondra retired in 2007, so he's not even up for induction yet. I think he has a good shot.

yeah i was going to edit my post saying hes not eligible yet tho...i hope he gets in, a 500 goal scorer in the "dead puck" era? there werent many.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived