09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

In respone to the last two comments:

Brendan, the mighty have fallen. July and August used to be filled with trips to the podium with guys like Hasek, Hull, Robitalle, Hatcher, Hasek again, Curtis Joseph, Uwe Krupp, Duchense, Whitney and Hossa. Now, their top goal scorer, and emerging winger and their point man on the 2nd power play unit have walked and they brought in Patrick Eaves.

Lee, obsessed? Sure lets go with that. I have hated them since 1987. However, I don't want the best for them. I want Travis to knock her up and leave her in the trailer while he bangs the skanky stock girl during his midnight shift at the Piggley Wiggley.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brendan, the mighty have fallen. July and August used to be filled with trips to the podium with guys like Hasek, Hull, Robitalle, Hatcher, Hasek again, Curtis Joseph, Uwe Krupp, Duchense, Whitney and Hossa. Now, their top goal scorer, and emerging winger and their point man on the 2nd power play unit have walked and they brought in Patrick Eaves.

Lee, obsessed? Sure lets go with that. I have hated them since 1987. However, I don't want the best for them. I want Travis to knock her up and leave her in the trailer while he bangs the skanky stock girl during his midnight shift at the Piggley Wiggley.

-Dan

:blink:

You're got too much time on your hands, maybe you should take up an alternate hobby :P

-Dan

So just because they didn't bring in a big name free agent they have fallen? Most of their real talent comes from within their club. When Fedorov left, Zetterberg came in. They didn't have to go sign a big name to replace him. I guess we will have to wait till the season. but I fully expect the Wings to content for another Presidents Trophy and Stanley Cup. What is it exactly that you hate about the Wings?

-Dan

So just because they didn't bring in a big name free agent they have fallen? Most of their real talent comes from within their club. When Fedorov left, Zetterberg came in. They didn't have to go sign a big name to replace him. I guess we will have to wait till the season. but I fully expect the Wings to content for another Presidents Trophy and Stanley Cup. What is it exactly that you hate about the Wings?

Consistency, maybe?

-Dan

No because players are leaving in droves. Also remember when players used to settle for less to play for the Wings? As for Fedorov and Zetterberg, they played together in the 02-03 season in Detroit. After Fedorov left, the Wings brought in Norris Trophy finalist Derian Hatcher and Ray Whitney. They will have to compete with Chicago for the Central so don't be so sure on that President's trophy just yet. Also, Conklin (who saved their A$$ in the regualar season) is gone. They now have unproven career minor leaguer Jimmy Howard backing up Osaverage. What happens if Osaverage has another sub-par regular season?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

-Dan

No because players are leaving in droves. Also remember when players used to settle for less to play for the Wings? As for Fedorov and Zetterberg, they played together in the 02-03 season in Detroit. After Fedorov left, the Wings brought in Norris Trophy finalist Derian Hatcher and Ray Whitney. They will have to compete with Chicago for the Central so don't be so sure on that President's trophy just yet. Also, Conklin (who saved their A$$ in the regualar season) is gone. They now have unproven career minor leaguer Jimmy Howard backing up Osaverage. What happens if Osaverage has another sub-par regular season?

-Dan

As much as I hate it, the Red Wings always manage to pull off great season regardless of who they have in net, or what players they have up front. Yes they lost some big names, and losing Conklin as a backup definitely brings goaltending into question, but they still have a tremendous team, and will contend for the Cup once again...Boo.

-Dan

-Dan

So? The reason you hate them is because players would go to Detroit because they see the organization as one that has a chance of competing for the cup year in and year out? Or is it because they sign free agents when a player leaves, cause God knows no other team has clued in on this method.

Hi, how are you?

-Dan

-Dan

So? The reason you hate them is because players would go to Detroit because they see the organization as one that has a chance of competing for the cup year in and year out? Or is it because they sign free agents when a player leaves, cause God knows no other team has clued in on this method.

Losing Hossa, Conklin and Kopecky isn't exactly a mass exodus of talent either. Losing Hossa hurts, yes, but a healthy Datsyuk is far better than Hossa anyways. Kopecky was a third liner, Eaves will fill that hole. Conklin is a very solid backup, but he's just that, a backup. Jimmy Howard will do just fine in the appearances he makes this coming season because they still have the same defensive corp that bailed Detroit out in the regular season last year.

-Dan

-Dan

Read any of my previous Detroit hating posts.

I have hated the Wings since 1987. I don't remember too many good players going there as UFA until the late 90s early 00s.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Mass exodus out of Detroit? How the mighty have fallen? Okay. Well, I'll go out on a pretty thick branch and say that the Red Wings will be at least be in the Conference Finals if not in the Finals and skating another Cup around. Don't mistake role players leaving as some mass exodus. There are no big time signings in Detroit. Well, have you heard of the Salary Cap? Have you thought maybe the talent out there isn't better than what Detroit has? Have you thought about maybe Detroit has players in the wings waiting to take these role players spots? Detroit is a well run organization, and they know the league and their players well. They know what they have in the pipeline. They aren't going to waste their money on role players when they have cheaper and possibly better versions in the minors. Losing Hossa was a real bummer wasn't it? Yeah, he was where in the playoffs? Not on the scoreboard, which makes him expendable. They brought him in for one reason, to score in the playoffs and win another Cup. He didn't get the job done, so they won't waste money on him. They saw him up close and obviously didn't like what they saw, so they let Chicago over pay him.

I love people's criticisms of Osgood. If he's so bad why does he have 3 Cups and two as starting netminder? Anyone would give anything to have Osgood in net during the post season. I don't care what a goaltender looks like, it's how you play during the post season that means everything. Osgood knows what he's doing and I'll take that over any of these so-called "great" goaltenders of the past 10 years. Luongo, Turco, whatever is in San Jose and Toronto, DiPietro, I've heard all these "great" goaltenders who have 0 Stanley Cup rings and Osgood has 3. I'll take a goaltender with 3 Cups over these nobodies any day of the week.

As long as the Red Wings scouting staff stays the same, they will be a top contender for the Cup. Hands down, the best in the league.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

What more NHL teams need to look at is how good is the farm and Grand Rapids is a farm system, Detroit from the bottom up is a great franchise they are the NHL's model franchise and they have done the only thing in sports matters is winning and I don't see an end in sight.

That is why I'm so keen on making your farm system great and Detroit has that because they have the best scouting team by far and the best GM in the NHL.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

[homerism] Considering the Devils lose high-profile players every couple of years because of penny-pinching Lou, and they continually plug in players that do nothing but produce and win, i'll say the Devils have a claim to the best organizational model, top to bottom. [/homerism]

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

-Dan

Perhaps you've heard of this new fangled thing called the salary cap?

[homerism] Considering the Devils lose high-profile players every couple of years because of penny-pinching Lou, and they continually plug in players that do nothing but produce and win, i'll say the Devils have a claim to the best organizational model, top to bottom. [/homerism]

No they are not. They are slowly falling to mid-pack and worse. New Jersey use to be one of the best organizations out there, but their constant coach changes and their choice of players makes them a mid-pack out in the second round of the playoff team. They use to be a team that you could pencil in to the Conference Finals at least, but with Broduer getting old they don't strike fear into anyone anymore. They kind of remind me of the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Yankees, etc., just teams where the fans and management still think they are in their glory years. They will only be at best a second round team until they get a new GM with a new direction, because Lou has worn this team down, and once Marty goes, the playoffs go with him.

What more NHL teams need to look at is how good is the farm and Grand Rapids is a farm system, Detroit from the bottom up is a great franchise they are the NHL's model franchise and they have done the only thing in sports matters is winning and I don't see an end in sight.

I feel the same way about this sentence!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived