ESPN has officially crossed the line

buzzcut

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the Steelers are the NFL champions, at least.

And until there's another league that plays at the same level, that makes them World Champions.

The World according to the US and excluding everyone else, except for some parts of Canada, as long as they within our rules :unclesam:

Not really.

Of club American rules football? Yes it does.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not really.

Exactly.

I'm no big fan of rah-rah "American exceptionalism", but that's not the point here. No other league plays American football at the level the NFL does. The winner of the NFL's season is by default the champions of the world in that sport.

Just as the winners of the World Series have the absolute right to call themselves World Champions, until such time as JBL play (or that of some other extranational league) reaches a major league level.

It isn't American "screw the world" braggadocio, but a statement of fact. Unlike the English and their football, we haven't yet created a game that the rest of the world has adopted to such an extent that they play it better than we. Basketball might be on its way, but American football isn't even close.

Not really.

Exactly.

I'm no big fan of rah-rah "American exceptionalism", but that's not the point here. No other league plays American football at the level the NFL does. The winner of the NFL's season is by default the champions of the world in that sport.

Just as the winners of the World Series have the absolute right to call themselves World Champions, until such time as JBL play (or that of some other extranational league) reaches a major league level.

It isn't American "screw the world" braggadocio, but a statement of fact. Unlike the English and their football, we haven't yet created a game that the rest of the world has adopted to such an extent that they play it better than we. Basketball might be on its way, but American football isn't even close.

FWIW, less fortunate people in [name of country] don't really care who loses the Super Bowl (not sure if MLB, NHL, and NBA follows suit, but they should!), but they do care about receiving the said Super Bowl losers merchandise :upside:

Not really.

Exactly.

Disagree. The NFL is a private league with it's own restrictions and rules about player signings, salary caps, player movement, etc.

Let's say that another league sprouts up in China, and that league has totally different rules (or none at all) regarding player movement and franchise equality (or parity if you will.) One of those teams just signs everyone, and wins their league. Is it fair to compare a team built under one set of rules to another team in another league that is built under another? Why

In theory, the Pro Bowl teams are the "world champions", not a single NFL team. I fail to see how unless everyone in the entire world is playing by the same rules, and it's essentially one really big league (or an international competition) that anyone can righly proclaim themselves "World Champions" by winning a private league.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

But until that happens, the team that wins the Super Bowl is the best football team (American code) in the world. Therefore, world champions. I can understand this argument for baseball (because of Japan) and basketball (because of the Euroleague), but not football.

Why isn't "Super Bowl Champion" enough? Or "NFL Champion" even. Why does it have to be World Champion?

Hell, why stop there? Since there's no way to prove/disprove it, why not Solar System Champions or Interplanetary Champions? How about Galaxy Champions? Or even Universe Champions?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Why isn't "Super Bowl Champion" enough? Or "NFL Champion" even. Why does it have to be World Champion?

Hell, why stop there? Since there's no way to prove/disprove it, why not Solar System Champions or Interplanetary Champions? How about Galaxy Champions? Or even Universe Champions?

A lot of scientists believe that there's multiple dimensions, something like 13 or 16 of them. Why shouldn't a team proclaim themselves the champion of their dimension? Or take it a step further, and be the multi-demensional champion?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most Americans don't understand those other terms? :wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Intergalactic, planetary, planetary, intergalactic.

Another dimension, another dimension, another dimension, another dimension...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, since y'all done steered this thread this far off track (or, orbit, I suppose), I guess now would be an opportunte time to mention that a full solar eclipse is expected to occur tomorrow, 22 Jul 09.

Cop you some sunglasses and grab a lawn chair...should be interesting.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Another dimension, another dimension, another dimension, another dimension...

get well, MCA

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This Sportsnation show taking the place of around the horn and PTI this whole week!?! That's crossing the line.

This show is terrible.

This guy sucks, he is basically Skip Bayless' clone (personality-wise)--whom I hate.

Atleast Michelle Beadle is ok to look at. ^_^

[sorry if this is kinda off topic, just venting a little.]

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

SportsNation is awesome, IMO, because not only do they say some out-of-pocket stuff, the fans do as well. Let's just say Nick1733 seems to be he type of fan that I envision tweeting and voting in the polls on that show.

And SportsNation's gonna be taking the place of ATH & PTI for this whole week. They'll be back on the 27th.

This Sportsnation show taking the place of around the horn and PTI today!?! That's crossing the line.

This show is terrible.

This guy sucks, he is basically Skip Bayless' clone (personality-wise)--whom I hate.

Colin Cowherd is a massive tool.

This Sportsnation show taking the place of around the horn and PTI this whole week!?! That's crossing the line.

This show is terrible.

Not that Around the Horn or PTI are any better. :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

Archived