ESPN has officially crossed the line

buzzcut

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are all on here talking about ESPN. I'd say they accomplished their #1 goal. You played right into their hands.

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that. :P

Just read your post - obviously I agree. I stopped reading after the first few posts of "outrage" over some commercial network's totally subjective application of a label to a sports team. This ranks right up there with posts about how the national broadcasters "don't get it... they obviously hate [fill in your home town here]." I don't get it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I suppose their next ploy will be to see if David Tyree's Super Bowl catch should be referred to as "The Catch" or "The Immaculate Reception."

Considering that Tyree's catch came against the very team they're now trying to pass off as "America's Team", this would be the height of brazen irony. (Or is that ironic brazenness?)

Yea, ESPN has way too much time on it's hands.

Either that, or this is a lame attempt to distract their viewers from the fact that the World Series of Poker main event is actually going on right now, not in September and October when it will be televised.

You mean the WSOP main event that DOESN"T have T.J, Cloutier or Patrick Antoius? Not to mention the vaunted Ted Forrest? I won't go into too much detail, but those three, along with 500 others waited a little too long to register.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I guess I'm saying I personally think the Patriots are America's Team.

"America's Team" is not a proclamation, a title or an award. It is a nickname for the Dallas Cowboys. No matter how good or bad, popular or unpopular they are, they get to keep it. Just like whoever has the NFL's #1 offense doesn't get to be "The Greatest Show on Turf" and the #1 defense doesn't get to be "The Steel Curtain."

Titletown should stay in Green Bay - only for nostalgic reasons, though.

Are you the same guy that complains that Dodge City, Kansas, should be the Windy City, since its average wind speed of 13.9 mph exceeds Chicago's 10.3 mph?

be careful Red Wings fans... Soon ESPN will steal the term "Hockeytown" from you and give it to another hockey team

That'd be fine with me.

Who died and named them Hockeytown anyways?

They don't have the most Stanley Cups, or even the second most. Hell, Henri Richard has as many Cups as the Red Wings do.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

be careful Red Wings fans... Soon ESPN will steal the term "Hockeytown" from you and give it to another hockey team

like Pittsburgh? :wacko:

or Phoenix?

Knowing ESPN, It's either New York or Boston. Hell, they'll declare one of those cities the home of surfing over the likes of Santa Monica, Huntington Beach or Honolulu, because they can.

Also if you must know, Sports Illustrated anoited St. Paul as Hockeytown some time back. I prefer to call it the Capital of Hockey.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

That'd be fine with me.

They don't have the most Stanley Cups, or even the second most. Hell, Henri Richard has as many Cups as the Red Wings do.

You will note that neither Toronto, nor Montreal, are within the United States' borders. Since I was under the impression that Detroit's nickname is Hockeytown USA, those two cities are disqualified.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That'd be fine with me.

You will note that neither Toronto, nor Montreal, are within the United States' borders. Since I was under the impression that Detroit's nickname is Hockeytown USA, those two cities are disqualified.

True.

Hockeytown, USA may be the trademark they have, but what does it say at center ice?

Just Hockeytown.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

You know what's interesting? Do you even know who dubbed the Cowboys "America's Team?"

The Cowboys, that's who. Pathetic.

Kinda like the Red Wings, and "Hockeytown". Pathetic, indeed. I remember some of us (myself included) applauding Yahoo! Sports for stripping that away, and giving it to the Twin Cities a while back, but I don't think you can do the same thing with the NFL. It's far too popular in too many markets, and team loyalties are far too fragmented.

All this "America's Team" stuff really doesn't matter. What matters is who the WORLD Champions are, and right now, the WORLD Champions are the Pittsburgh Steelers. For 2008, the Steelers are America's team too, and if they win the Super Bowl again, they will be America's team for another year.

Speaking of ESPN and crossing the line, we've finally reached the logical conclusion of The Creepy Sports Blog Cult Of Erin Andrews. How about that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived