ESPN has officially crossed the line

buzzcut

First they steal the moniker "Titletown" away from it's rightful owner, Green Bay...now someone has the gall to propse taking away the title of "America's Team" from the Cowboys and give it to the most Communist team in the league, the Patriots :mad: Now I hate the Cowbabies as much as anyone, but they d*** well deserve the designation, not some team who spies on what the other team is doing.

Story from Awful Announcing(ESPN link is on there)

UPDATE: That someone is ESPN's AFC East blogger, Tim Graham. Also, Kevin Seifert wants it to be the Packers, whilst James Walker would like to confer it on the Steelers. Only Matt Moseley want's it to remain with the Cowboys.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, ESPN has officially lost it. I mean, I'm not a Cowboys fan (hell, I've actually enjoyed watching them fall on their faces in the playoffs as of late, but that was more of a "I'm sick of seeing them on my tv" thing.), but dammit, if the there is one team that is America's team, it's the Dallas Cowboys. People all over the nation love the Cowboys. I'm pretty sure that there are MUCH more Cowboys fans in the US than Patriots fans.

Times change. I mean just because they were America's Team in the days of Landry and Staubach doesn't make 'em 'Murrica's Team' forever.

America's Team should at least be good. Plus what's more American than Patriotism?

Or cheating...

Did I say that?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

To me, "Titletown USA" is still Green Bay (not Podunk, GA) and "America's Team" will always be the soap opera that is the Dallas Cowboys.

(This kinda garbage makes ya miss Who's Now?, doesn't it? :P)

6uXNWAo.png

Ughhhhh

This is why I hate summers on ESPN.

Not only is it Red Sox, Yankees, Manny Ramirez, and NFL OTA/Rookie Camps/BS/Training Camps, they also do stupid crap like this to fill up empty space on SportsCenter.

So stupid.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This is not like being crowned Miss America. The name "America's Team" is not a trophy that can be passed around to whatever team ESPN feels is the most deserving at the time.

I suppose their next ploy will be to see if David Tyree's Super Bowl catch should be referred to as "The Catch" or "The Immaculate Reception."

To me, "Titletown USA" is still Green Bay (not Pudunk, GA) and "America's Team" will always be the soap opera that is the Dallas Cowboys.

(This kinda garbage makes ya miss Who's Now?, doesn't it? :P )

Don't ever bring up Who's Now ever again. Makes me pine for the 50 States in 50 Days deal in 2005. (Maybe, if they do a new one, they can make it back to Gueydan, LA for it's festival without a hurricane in the area.)

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Yea, ESPN has way too much time on it's hands. The 'America's Team' thing is really what made the Cowboys as popular as they are. There are genuine Cowboys fans all over the place. It's funny how there were not that many Pats fans when they were not winning. But there are just as many Cowboys fans no matter what their record.

As a Redskins fan, I am rather happy with this. But the term is "America's Team", not "Team with the most recent dynasty".

Steeler fans will argue that the Black and Gold have earned both of the titles I've mentioned. And considering the amount of Steeler fans I've seen around here, (third to the Redskins and Eagles, BTW) as well as the fact that the title of "America's Team" was offered to Dan Rooney in the 70's (I think Mac was the guy who said that), they have an argument.

Yea, ESPN has way too much time on it's hands. The 'America's Team' thing is really what made the Cowboys as popular as they are. There are genuine Cowboys fans all over the place. It's funny how there were not that many Pats fans when they were not winning. But there are just as many Cowboys fans no matter what their record.

Exactly! That's one thing I'll give the Cowboys, even during their lean years in the late 90s/early 00s they were well supported. Good luck finding a Patriots fan before their ascent to the top of the NFL.

Hell, I'd dub the Steelers as America's Team before the Patriots.

As a Patriots fan since 1976, I find it interesting that they would choose to jump on the bandwagon after the recent success the Patriots have enjoyed. While it is true there are Cowboys fans everywhere, there are as many people who hate them. The same can be said for the Packers. Titletown should stay in Green Bay - only for nostalgic reasons, though. Dallas, Pittsburgh, San Francisco or New England actually deserve that title more, but it should stay in Green Bay. A couple of years ago, SI declared St Paul was the real Hockeytown, taking that claim away from Detroit. While I agree with this in theory, I don't think any other city should have that term used to describe it.I guess I'm saying I personally think the Patriots are America's Team. Before their success, no one cared about them. Now, they are one of those teams like the Cowboys that people either love or love to hate.

This America's Team thing is pure bulls**t. Always has been and always will be for any singular city/state specific sports franchise to be deemed the most beloved of a nation is a bunch of crap. Cowboys fans need to get over themselves, Patriots fans can also just remain seated. No one fan is better than any other fan for liking some other team. And if ESPN wants to get ratings by stirring the pot, it's sad that that's what they have to report these days.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The real question is how are the Patriots the "most communist team" in the NFL. That makes no sense what so ever.

But yes the America's team moniker is ridiculous. How can a league with 30 team all in America, have one team that is more American than the others, especially in a sport that is made up of over 99% American players.

1zqy8ok.gif

Why couldn't 4chan do something worthwhile and hack/sabotage ESPN.com and Sportsnation?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I suppose their next ploy will be to see if David Tyree's Super Bowl catch should be referred to as "The Catch" or "The Immaculate Reception."

Considering that Tyree's catch came against the very team they're now trying to pass off as "America's Team", this would be the height of brazen irony. (Or is that ironic brazenness?)

Yea, ESPN has way too much time on it's hands.

Either that, or this is a lame attempt to distract their viewers from the fact that the World Series of Poker main event is actually going on right now, not in September and October when it will be televised.

CCSLC signature.png

I stopped watching ESPN and the NFL a year ago.

Doesn't bother me a bit. ^_^

Same here. I haven't quite quit The NFL. I still watch it occasionally but it is down the list of my favorite sports. I stopped watching anything but live games on ESPN years ago.

All that aside, ESPN has gotten exactly what they wanted out of their latest "We're ESPN, we dictate sports culture" gimmick. The ESPN sycophants are panting and breathless over who will be named the new America's Team. The ESPN haters are up in arms over yet another (insert your reason ESPN really sucks now here.) And despite all the bashing, I still see posts actually debating the point of who does or does not deserve the title "America's Team."

Just an observation. :D

BB52Big.jpg

A few years ago Sports Illustrated did a story where they polled every state on their favorite teams in each sport. I can't remember who took the title in basketball, but in Football the most popular team in states with no football team was the Cowboys. Now I'm sure we can chalk that up to the fact that the team is always on prime time, even if they are not doing well. So people are exposed to them more. That is why you see Cowboys fans in every corner of the country.

By the way, for baseball, the most popular team in states with no team was the Braves. We can thank TBS for that ;)

You guys are all on here talking about ESPN. I'd say they accomplished their #1 goal. You played right into their hands.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived