Worst (or Best) Trades of all Time

epper

The Patriots getting Randy Moss from the Raiders for a 4th round pick...seemed like a fair trade at first seeing as how Moss was seemingly on the end of his career...but pairing Moss with Brady would be the bane of the NFL's existence for at least 18 games.

You take in the entire story of the trade and it gets even better.

The Patriots traded the #28 pick in the first round to the San Francisco 49ers for their first round pick in the 2008 draft (#7, ended up being Jerrod Mayo after another deal) and the 110th pick, aka the Moss pick.

That is bananas. Simply bananas.

I love this thread. Nothing about sports makes me happier (or angrier) than an absolute fleecing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres a doozy

1980 Lakers trade Don Ford to the Cavs for a 1982 draft pick.

Ford only plays 35 games in Cleveland, Cavs pick ends up being #1 overall and the pick was used to pick James Worthy.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Heres a doozy

1980 Lakers trade Don Ford to the Cavs for a 1982 draft pick.

Ford only plays 35 games in Cleveland, Cavs pick ends up being #1 overall and the pick was used to pick James Worthy.

On a similar note, in 1979, the Jazz traded their first rounder for Gail Goodrich. That first rounder became the first pick in the draft, used to select Magic Johnson.

Looking back, the 2003 trade that sent Freddy Sanchez to the Pirates for Brandon Lyon, Jeff Suppan, and Anastacio Martinez looks pretty bad from the Red Sox' point of view. I suppose you could say this is one of few trades where the Pirates haven't been ripped off recently.

How about, considering exactly what he did for Atlanta, and what he brought back..

Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison, and Beau Jones?

Even though I dont know what the braves could have done with Saltalamacchia this trade still haunts us I think, Andrus could have been great for the braves.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Wayne Gretzky to the Kings and Eric Dickerson to the Colts would be two of the first ones I'd think of. Then again Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields. Teemu Selanne for Kilger and Tverdovsky. I say Gretzky, not to slight Jimmy Carson or Martin Gelinas, but it doesn't matter that the Oilers won the Cup in 1990, the Oilers got fleeced because it was trading away the best player at the time and killing of a dynasty. Dickerson, because he was the heart and soul of the Rams and that was the beginning of the destruction of a franchise, plus the Rams got nothing in comparison to him in return. Sometimes a trade just kills a team and it's fans and Gretzky and Dickerson were two of them.

The Boston Bruins traded BARRY PEDERSON to the Vancouver Canucks for CAM NEELY and a first round draft pick in the 1987 draft. The pick ended up being the third overall pick and was GLEN WESLEY.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Y'all done made it this far and NO ONE has brought up Mike Ditka trading his entire 1999 draft (not to mention two picks for the year after that) for Ricky Williams?

No one???

(Okay cool...I just wanted to be the first one to do it, then. ^_^ )

Thank God someone brought that up; errs me to no end that we threw away three years for one airhead.

However, Washington didn't seem to benefit that much from the deal at all. Could've been a fleecing of epic proportions if Snyder had a brain.

GR30a5H.png

I can't believe no one mentioned the A-Rod trade to the Yankees. Texas got Alfonso Soriano and Joaquin Arias. While that in and of itself was a fleecing it gets better.

At the time A-Rod was owed $179 million on the ridiculous contract Tom Hicks signed him to. As part of the deal Texas agreed to pay $67 million on the contract. That amounted to roughly $9 million per year on the balance owed. Nice discount for the Yankees and a definite financial fleecing of Hicks.

Broncos get:

John Elway

Colts get:

Mark Hermann

Chris Hinton

1st rd. pick -> Ron Solt

------------------------------------------------------------

Celtics get:

Robert Parish

No. 3 pick -> Kevin McHale

Warriors get:

No. 1 pick -> Joe Barry Carroll

No. 13 pick -> Rickey Brown

Angels get:

Nolan Ryan

Don Rose

Leroy Stanton

Francisco Estrada

Mets get:

Jim Fregosi

Vikings get:

RB Herschel Walker

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Cowboys get:

LB Jesse Solomon

LB David Howard

CB Issiac Holt

RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

DE Alex Stewart

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

+ traded a couple picks to get Russell Maryland

Bulls get:

Scottie Pippen

Sonics get:

Olden Polynice

Celtics get:

Bill Russell

STL Hawks get:

Ed Macauley

Cliff Hagan

Lakers get:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Bucks get:

Elmore Smith

Junior Bridgeman

Brian Winters

Dave Meyers

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Some St. Louis fleeces & fleecing:

Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley swapped with Calgary for Brett Hull & Steve Bozek.

Garry Templeton, Sixto Lezcano, and Luis DeLeon to San Diego for Ozzie Smith, Steve Mura, and Al Olmsted.

Probably the 2 worst trades in Cardinals history:

Steve Carlton to Philadelphia for Rick Wise.

Dan Haren, Kiko Calero, and Daric Barton to Oakland for Mark Mulder

Broncos get:

John Elway

Colts get:

Mark Hermann

Chris Hinton

1st rd. pick -> Ron Solt

To be fair, Elway whined and cried that he didn't want to play for the Colts (much like Eli Manning). So the Colts were basically forced to trade him, and Hinton and Solt did both eventually become Pro-Bowlers. So given the circumstances I wouldn't it was a complete fleecing. But I have heard some say this was the final straw that lead to the Colts moving to Indianapolis.

How can this thread even be without:

November 2, 1978 ? Traded by the Indianapolis Racers, along with Eddie Mio and Peter Driscoll, to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for $700,000 and future considerations.

Here's a bad trade for New York;

1989: Mets trade RP Roger McDowell and popular OF Lenny Dykstra to Phillies for 2B/OF Juan Samuel. Dykstra leads Phils to NL Pennant in 1993 and finishes 2nd in MVP voting (behind Barry Bonds). Meanwhile, Samuel was a disaster for the Mets.

Other tough trades;

1985: Oakland A's trade Rickey Henderson to Yankees for Jose Rijo and other players

1988: Cincinnati trades Kurt Stillwell to Kansas City for Danny Jackson; although Jackson won 23 games in 1988 for the Reds and Stillwell made the All-Star team, they both fizzled and ended up on other teams 1-3 years later

1991: Mets trade Gregg Jefferies and Kevin McReynolds to Royals for Bret Saberhagen

1992: Reds trade Eric Davis to Los Angeles for Tim Belcher; bad example of trading power for pitching

1997: Red Sox trade Tony Armas, Jr. and Carl Pavano to Montreal for Pedro Martinez

TO Pittsburgh:

Marian Hossa

Pascal Dupuis

TO Atlanta:

Colby Armstrong

Erik Christensen

Angelo Esposito

And you saw how well that worked out...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The T'wolves sending Kevin Garnett to Boston for a bunch of cast-offs. Minnesota-based teams sure have a knack for winding up on the @$$-end of these lopsided trades...

Gotta disagree on that one Viper....Al Jefferson is a stud.

If anything...the Foye/Roy trade and to a lesser degree the Mayo/Love swap were worse.

We'll see how this Rubio/Flynn thing pans out.

I hear Rob Babcock is the T-Wolves Assistant GM....I'm a Raptors fan...and god he was awful.

Archived