Worst (or Best) Trades of all Time

epper

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Y'all done made it this far and NO ONE has brought up Mike Ditka trading his entire 1999 draft (not to mention two picks for the year after that) for Ricky Williams?

No one???

(Okay cool...I just wanted to be the first one to do it, then. ^_^ )

I think the negative impact of that trade is mitigated by the fact that the Saints flipped him to Miami 3 years later for 2 first-round picks.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Can't believe no one mentioned this trade.

Toronto traded their first round draft pick in 1991 (the Lindros Draft) to the New Jersey Devils for defensemen om Kurvers. The Leafs ended up finishing second worst in the league to Quebec and the Devils as a result ended up with the 3rd pick (because the expansion Sharks got #2). With that pick they drafted Scott Niedermayer.

Sam Pollock with the Canadiens back in the 70's did a good job of ripping off the new expansion teams. In 1971 he sent to the Seals Ernie Hicke and a 1st for the Seals first and Francois Lacombe. Later in the year when it looked like the Kings might finished last he traded them Ralph Backstrom to lift them out of last/ The result the Seals finished last and with their first pick the Canadiens took Guy Lafleur.

Calgary Flames trade J.S. Giguere to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim for 2nd round pick in 2000 (became Kurtis Foster)

Doesn't matter--they later got Kipper--so it worked out okay. (Still wasn't a great trade though.

Sam Pollock with the Canadiens back in the 70's did a good job of ripping off the new expansion teams. In 1971 he sent to the Seals Ernie Hicke and a 1st for the Seals first and Francois Lacombe. Later in the year when it looked like the Kings might finished last he traded them Ralph Backstrom to lift them out of last/ The result the Seals finished last and with their first pick the Canadiens took Guy Lafleur.

I thought I mentioned the Seals one with Hicke--maybe I forgot to add it to the Flames ones I mentioned--Pollock pulled off some great ones for the Habs.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Montréal sending Mike Ribeiro and a 6th round draft pick in 2008(became Matthew Tassone) to Dallas in exchange for Janne Niinimaa and a 5th round draft pick in 2007(became Andrew Conboy).

:rolleyes:

not familiar with Ribeiro's time in dallas, but i do know that Niinimaa was a waste of time and money.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Instead of the "Worst Trades of All Time," this has devolved into the "hockey trades that either have or haven't worked out for your favorite team or yet may still be up in the air, but hey, we need something." :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Montréal sending Mike Ribeiro and a 6th round draft pick in 2008(became Matthew Tassone) to Dallas in exchange for Janne Niinimaa and a 5th round draft pick in 2007(became Andrew Conboy).

:rolleyes:

not familiar with Ribeiro's time in dallas, but i do know that Niinimaa was a waste of time and money.

he's been one of the top scorers in Dallas ever since.

Though, he seemed to slow down when Morrow got injured.

5amlwx.jpg

Drifting away from hockey, how about the Bulls trading the draft rights to LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas and Victor Khyrapa?

The Bulls have been looking for a back-to-the-basket scorer since Elton Brand, and they had one for about 30 minutes.

May 13, 2007

Colorado Rockies get:

RHP Jorge Julio

Florida Marlins get:

RHP Byung-Hyun Kim

After serving up a game-winning grand slam to Washington's Ryan Zimmerman at 1:42 AM, Florida's Jorge Julio was traded just hours later to the Rockies for fellow reliever Byung-Hyun Kim. Kim, famous for his futility in the 2001 World Series, hadn't pitched in a game for a month before the trade, and made just 25 more appearances in his career. Julio signed a minor league deal with the Rays this June, making Tampa Bay the fourth organization he's played for in the last two years. Julio and Kim have combined for 59 career blown saves in just 244 save opportunities (that's a 1-in-4 chance of a blown save).

- - - - -

July 15, 1996

Portland Trailblazers get:

Rasheed Wallace

Mitchell Butler

Washington Bullets get:

Harvey Grant

Rod Strickland

This was really a Wallace-for-Strickland straight-up deal, with the two other guys as throw-ins. Strickland led the Bullets to the playoffs in 1997, but his numbers dwindled of his next 3 1/2 years in DC, in addition to his many off-court troubles. He averaged 12.6 points/game in the 2000-01 season under a one-year, $10 million contract. After leaving the Wizards, Strickland played for six other teams, but never again came close to reaching the level he played at in the mid-1990s. Grant, who began his career with the Bullets, played just two years in Washington following the trade, averaging 3.35 points/game. Butler was primarily a bench player in his career. And everyone knows Wallace is still playing in the league, most recently signing with the Celtics. He's only scored 14,495 points since his rookie season as a Washington Bullet.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

-Vlade Divac for the rights to Kobe Bryant.

-New Jersey Nets traded Eddie Griffen to Houston Rockets for Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins, and Brandon Armstrong.

-Dallas traded Robert Traylor to Milwaukee for Dirk Nowitzki.

-Cavaliers acquire first overall pick in draft, and select C Brad Daugherty, from the Philadelphia 76ers for F Roy Hinson and $800,000

-Cavaliers trade 1982 first-round draft choice, which became F James Worthy, and G Butch Lee to the Lakers for F Don Ford and first-round pick, became G Chad Kinch.

-Indians acquire SS Omar Vizquel from the Seattle Mariners for SS Felix Fermin and 1B Reggie Jefferson

-Indians trade 2B Jeff Kent, P Julian Tavarez and IF Jose Vizcaino to the San Francisco Giants for 3B Matt Williams

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

49ers trade there first 2 picks in the 1985 Draft to New England for 16th Overall

Niners draft arguably draft the greatest to ever play the game in Jerry Rice.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

49ers trade there first 2 picks in the 1985 Draft to New England for 16th Overall

There's no argument. He's the greatest, and the Pats got fleeced.

Sigs are for sissies.

Toronto Blue Jays trade David Wells and Matt DeWitt to the Chicago White Sox for Mike Sirotka, Kevin Beirne, Brian Simmons, and Mike Williams.

Not many Jays fans liked Wells, and he didn't seem to like Jays fans either. Regardless, he was a darn good pitcher for those 2 years after getting traded for Roger Clemens. Best player the Jays received for Wells? Mike Sirotka, who never played a single game for the Jays.

Wade-sig.png

-Cavaliers acquire first overall pick in draft, and select C Brad Daugherty, from the Philadelphia 76ers for F Roy Hinson and $800,000

Good one. You have no idea how many times that trade was talked about when I was a kid. It was the defining moment of the Harold Katz era as Sixers owner.

Don't forget, that on the same day, Katz OK'd the deal that sent Moses Malone, Terry Catledge, and two 1st round picks to Washington for Jeff Ruland and Cliff Robinson. Ruland retired after five games, due to foot problems. He attempted a comeback 5-years later, which lasted 13 games before some luggage accident messed up his Achilles.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's no argument. He's the greatest, and the Pats got fleeced.

Would the Patriots haven taken Rice, though? It's hard to say a deal is bad when it's draft picks.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived