Rays vs A's Retro Saturday

raysox

So Saturday will be retro night at the trop. The Rays will wear the gradients, and the A's will wear green with stripes.

I went to the game tonight, and I saw Todd Kalas holding them up. I didn't have a camera, but if I would've had one I woulda taken a picture.

Here's what the Rays will look like:

1104874626_2889.jpg

A's:

4211.gif

Also Smashmouth plays after the game, and I REALLY wish I could go.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I'm a bit taken aback that the Rays are actually wearing something from the "Devil" era.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow. I'm a bit taken aback that the Rays are actually wearing something from the "Devil" era.

That's what surprises me here. They worked so hard last year to get people to stop calling them the "Devil Rays" and now they're going to go back to it and embrace one of the worst teams in baseball history? I'd prefer if they threwback to an old Tampa/St. Petersburg team like they've done in the past. The Rays always seem to have very close to accurate throwbacks, plus they spring for the batting helmets which always makes a throwback complete.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The reason for these throwbacks is that it it 90's Night at the Trop (hence the postgame Smash Mouth concert). I saw the game last night and the unis look pretty on-par. The lettering looks just like the pic below:

NEWTRays.jpg

The only difference is they're wearing the original Ray logo on the cap (below) rather than the one above. I might get one of the caps if I can find it in the new performace material.

tew9qo7fxijh5xq8fgi0thhda.gif

Anyways, I figured we'd see these jerseys since "Devil" is not on it, like the BP shown below. Either way, I have no problem, just for one day.

340x.jpg

I'm actually really excited about this. I really liked the gradient uniforms, plus I had one of the original devil ray caps when I was a kid and the team was brand new. Hopefully they re-release that hat style in the modern New Era collection so that I can get one.

330zl3b.png

I'm actually really excited about this. I really liked the gradient uniforms, plus I had one of the original devil ray caps when I was a kid and the team was brand new. Hopefully they re-release that hat style in the modern New Era collection so that I can get one.

Actually, if you're in Chicago, you can get the original at a store called Campus Gear, near DePaul. It's on Webster, east of Racine. They have all kinds of original 5950s from the '90s and early '00s.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Actually, if you're in Chicago, you can get the original at a store called Campus Gear, near DePaul. It's on Webster, east of Racine. They have all kinds of original 5950s from the '90s and early '00s.

Do you know how much they are? And how close are you to said store? B)

I LOVE Campus Gear. The problem is my hat size is 7 7/8, which they don't carry. Plus I hate the grey visors from that era.

330zl3b.png

I LOVE Campus Gear. The problem is my hat size is 7 7/8, which they don't carry. Plus I hate the grey visors from that era.

I've found that the older 59/50s are rather larger than the size claimed. If they have a 7 3/4, I think that'll do the trick. I'm just basing this on the two older Authentic 59/50s that I have (gray Orioles with black bill and purple Devil Rays with black bill. BTW, rather off topic, Mickey's Place stopped selling the 94-99 Brewers hats. Anyone know where I may find one in a 7 3/4?)

Anyways, yes, I am very happy about this. I may have to crack and get that shirt. I also wouldn't mind a poly gradient D-Rays fitted if they make them. New Era made some of the throwback hats ('48 Cubs, Boston Braves, St. Petersburg Pelicans) from last year in the new material, so I can see them popping up soon.

I've found that the older 59/50s are rather larger than the size claimed. If they have a 7 3/4, I think that'll do the trick. I'm just basing this on the two older Authentic 59/50s that I have (gray Orioles with black bill and purple Devil Rays with black bill. BTW, rather off topic, Mickey's Place stopped selling the 94-99 Brewers hats. Anyone know where I may find one in a 7 3/4?)

Anyways, yes, I am very happy about this. I may have to crack and get that shirt. I also wouldn't mind a poly gradient D-Rays fitted if they make them. New Era made some of the throwback hats ('48 Cubs, Boston Braves, St. Petersburg Pelicans) from last year in the new material, so I can see them popping up soon.

New Era's sizing inconsistencies appear to go way back. I'm a 7 5/8, and my '94 Brewers cap, size 7 3/8, fits like a dream. I tried on a 7 1/2 '97 Brewers cap, though, and it was too small.

Pasquale, which style are you looking for?

1. Solid navy with "MB"

2. Navy crown, green bill with "MB"

3. Solid navy with white "M"

4. Solid navy with gold "M"

Let me know, and I'll check for availability Friday. I'm already heading over there to check on a green D-Rays hat for a similarly large-headed gent. Retail price is $32.99, so it'll probably work out to about $40 once shipping and the glorious 10.25% sales tax get figured in.

If anyone else is looking for an out-of-production 5950, just list it here along with your size, and I'll check for it when I head to Campus Gear early Friday afternoon. (It's about a 6-block walk from my place, and somewhat on the way to the L as I head into work.)

(EDIT-I just e-mailed Mickey's Place about the Brewers hats, so I'll past for now. But thank you. )

BTW, what size do you wear? I have a green D-Rays hat with a 2004 Opening Series patch on the side (it can be taken off rather easily, so don't worry too much about that) in a 7 3/4, if you're interested. The crown's a little funny though, but if you PM me, I'll send pics.

Archived