Los Angeles Clippers [uniform design up]

Conrad.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if my screen is fooling with me or if it's something else...but to me, the colors just ain't quite "there" yet.

My opinion...darken up that blue a little bit, if for no other reason than to distance it from the already overabundance of sky/baby/whatever-you-wanna-call-it blue in the Western Conference. That orange actually looks a bit more like orange-red. Are you saving in CMYK color mode or RGB? That may have something to do with it. If you'r using a PANTONE solid, perhaps try converting the colors to an RGB equivalent and see if that works a little better. And OBTW, methinks it's the orange that should be brighter, since it is the color of the sun and the sun, well, it doesn't exactly look muted in the sky, now does it? :D Shoot...I'd even go with something of a neon-ish orange, if for no better reason than shock value. (Plus, it is L.A., so I think that the Clips could definitely pull that off.) But to me, that blue definitely needs some more, well, blue in it. I'm thinking something similar to the Denver Broncos' former colors might do the trick quite nicely.

As for the sails...yeah, I'd say definitely lighten up the gray (silver?), cuz right now it's just a tad bit too dark, and normally shadows don't show up THAT much on a white surface--at least not with something flat, anyway. And if you're going to do the sails like that, look at squaring them off justasmidge more than what you have now.

Finally...watch the mitre point on that "s" at the end of your wordmark. Right now it looks like a spike jutting out at the end of the word. That's an instance where you'll have to actually go in and play with the bezier of the silver outline and the white inner outline to sorta kinda make it a more natural curve. Also, I've found that when outlining scripts (or anything) like that, if you zoom in REEEEEEEAAAALLLY close on the base object, and snip off the very tippy top of the pointed edge, the outlines won't spike out like that as much. Careful, though, because if you snip it too much, you'll end up having a big rounded edge on the outlines, as well.

But this is definitely coming along nicely, red goatee man. BTW...when's those uniforms coming??? :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So in the Clips logo thread in the Sports Logos section ppl mentioned that the San Diego logo was close to being a legit Clips logo. I figure, why not try to make it so. I went about trying to bring that logo into modern times (much like my 6ers project i suppose). Anyway, I curved and added dimension to the sails to give the logo some 3d space (and therein added a 4th color to the scheme), and I also used the great wordmark they have now (by far the best thing about their current identity). I also can't decide a couple things...whether to keep the sun (or make a bball reference in the sky-area) and also how to treat the arrangement of the sails (either all touching the base of the circle, or where you can see the bottom of 2 of the sails, like the original logo) too much rambling from me though, here's 4 ideas for the primary I have nailed down:

Clips_4ideas.png

which works the best? and also, how do the colors look?

Awesome!! Where was this logo years ago! Now if we can just update that other LA team... ; )

The new colors are right on, but I don't know about the new sails. The old sails said "Sails" right away. I don't get that from the new ones. They seem too narrow. It needs just a little tweaking.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Awesome job. Only thing I can see is that if I was a casual fan, I might think these were the 'Los Angeles Sharks'. hahaha

Try making the sails like this.

RoyalClipper01.jpg

RocketsAstrosTexansArgentinaDynamo

• 8 months later...

In lieu of the rumors for a new Clips logo, I figured I'd give this project a freshening...here's an update on the primary mark I had before (featuring the 3 jib sails from the front of the clipper ship). I've included my previous take on a new color scheme as well as the current color scheme (rumored to remain with the advent of a new logoset):

ClipsRefresh_6up.jpg

Thoughts? Do I need to go a new direction with this, or is it time to make some finishing touches and move into the uniform design phase of the branding? Thanks as always for takin' a look...

In lieu of the rumors for a new Clips logo, I figured I'd give this project a freshening...here's an update on the primary mark I had before (featuring the 3 jib sails from the front of the clipper ship). I've included my previous take on a new color scheme as well as the current color scheme (rumored to remain with the advent of a new logoset):

ClipsRefresh_6up.jpg

Thoughts? Do I need to go a new direction with this, or is it time to make some finishing touches and move into the uniform design phase of the branding? Thanks as always for takin' a look...

I like #1 and #4...but one of them using the light blue should be used. I'm undecided if I like the gray on the logo, but the red/light blue combo fits them so well (going back to Braves days). The design of the Clipper ship is great.

87Redskins.png

I don't know about this. I actually prefer the top right logo of your original set the best and I like that color combo the best of the one's you just posted. The bottom left to be exact.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

While I like the lower left one the best of these, but my big objection is the color choice. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but orange and blue? San Diego may have worn light blue and orange, but now there's already too much of it in the NBA. New York, Charlotte, OKC. Just change the sun to red and you'd have something.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

good points everyone, thanks for the thoughts. here's some more ideas:

ClipsRefresh_6up2.jpg

Good point about the orange and blue in the NBA, so I went sky blue + red for these colorations (in addition to a new illustration of the ship, using the main sails instead of the jib sails). Thoughts on these iterations? Thanks as always! :)

Personally I like the updated feel of #2. I guess the triangular sails might be considered more dynamic, though, so 5 is cool too.

Why not the others:

1st--It's the sun; not the moon.

3rd--same problem

4th--sails look like the Japanese flag

6th--again, white sun

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

While I like the lower left one the best of these, but my big objection is the color choice. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but orange and blue? San Diego may have worn light blue and orange, but now there's already too much of it in the NBA. New York, Charlotte, OKC. Just change the sun to red and you'd have something.

Wait but too many teams don't also have Red, & Blue? (Detroit, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Cleveland, Atlanta. Red/Blue-5, Blue/Orange-3(?)). I think you should keep the Sky Blue, Orange color scheme, add a light gray or silver, and you would be good. Too many teams in the NBA and in sports wear red and blue. New York has royal, orange, and black. OKC has red in their unis but uses orange in the shoes and logo. And Charlotte, the closest, uses a unique type of blue. You could make the Clippers have orange unis with sky blue or light blue (which is more pale) and silver trim.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived