2010 MLB ASG logo

RETROJR79

I'm disappointed in it. It's very generic and average. There's nothing spectacular or even classy about it. What it looks like to me is something you'd see out of EA Sports for an All Star Game that was in the future. It has that generic blah feel to it. There has to be something cool and unique that they could've done, this is lazy and predictable. Heck, I'm pretty sure that PatSox or Spammy could do something better than this.

Well, I was gonna say basically that, but in fewer words. It's got such a strong clip art feel to it IMO.

It seems to me that the only ones who really like this thing are Angels fans, what a shock :P

ALAS!!! It seems as though the only people that dislike it AREN'T angels fans, and since its gonna be in Anaheim...arent we the only ones that count :P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CMb8axRZ.jpg

Fail.

Not really, but the fact that the "A"s in the lettering, particularly the very first "A" in "ALL", are flat on top and do not come to a point, nearly ruins this logo for me. The pointy-top "A" is such a core element of the Angels visual identity -- and even more, the pointy-top "A" would match the angular points of the star. I either love (halo on the star) or can live with (reverse-color MLB logo) everything else about this logo. But when you take the distinctive point off the top of the "A" in the lettering, you turn a perfectly good Angels logo into a half-baked Rangers castoff.

If the logo used actual Angels lettering, I'd give this possibly an A-minus. But with the de-Angel-ized generic western lettering, I can't go higher than a D. It's one of those tiny, simply fixed things that would have been much easier not to screw up in the first place -- in other words, the flat-top "A" in this logo is the Jar-Jar Binks of ASG logos.

I understand what your saying, but IMO i think that may have been Angels identity overkill. I think what they did with just the halo and the script was perfect, but thats just my opinion :)

Just wanted to note that the ASG logo was on the backstop at Angel Stadium tonight.

You mean when the Angels came back from two down in the bottom of the ninth against one of the game's best closers? :P, but ya, it was noticable everywhere across the stadium.

Just wanted to note that the ASG logo was on the backstop at Angel Stadium tonight.

You mean when the Angels came back from two down in the bottom of the ninth against one of the game's best closers? :P, but ya, it was noticable everywhere across the stadium.

Bad day all around for a Twins fan with Nathan blowing a save and Beuhrle pitching a perfect game. <_<

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The reversed colors in the MLB logo is really the only problem I see with this.

I know some people are complaining that they didn't 'halo' the A's in the lettering. But if they had done that, then people would be complaining that it was too busy. One halo on the star is just right.

EDIT: And major props for getting the vector so quickly.

I like. I'm glad they didn't point the "A"s in "all-star game. Because if you point it, you have to halo it, otherwise the board would be screaming "where's the f&$%ing HALO?"

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

The non-beveled part of the star makes the whole thing look unfinished... the entire star should be beveled, or it should be non-beveled.

I think that's just for the shadowing. It's like that in the legs of the A in the Angels logo.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

The biggest flaw in my eyes is the use of the increasingly loathsome EuroseWideHeavy, with its ugly exaggerated 1s. As I say every time one of these logos comes up, "MLB" is redundant because

1) the silhouetted batter indicates that it is baseball

2) the phrase "All-Star Game" without a modifier is generally understood to mean baseball's All-Star Game

3) nobody really says "MLB," do they? If you say "the Marlins are my favorite MLB team," you sound like an alien from outer space inhabiting a human body, because nobody talks about "MLB" as if it's a league equal to the NFL, NBA, or NHL. Also, nobody likes the Marlins.

So bearing all that in mind, I'd say use the Big A in place of MLB, since it serves as a rough geographic identifier of sorts as well as identifying that the Los Angeles Angels are graciously hosting this increasingly disappointing event. Oh, and I'd use the Angels' numbers to write "2010," or any typeface with a normal-looking 1, really.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm disappointed in it. It's very generic and average. There's nothing spectacular or even classy about it. What it looks like to me is something you'd see out of EA Sports for an All Star Game that was in the future. It has that generic blah feel to it. There has to be something cool and unique that they could've done, this is lazy and predictable. Heck, I'm pretty sure that PatSox or Spammy could do something better than this.

Well, I was gonna say basically that, but in fewer words. It's got such a strong clip art feel to it IMO.

It seems to me that the only ones who really like this thing are Angels fans, what a shock :P

Well, in addition to being an Angel fan, I'm a Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres fan. So thanks to Buffalo, I'm used to being really horrified when my teams unveil new logos and uniforms. The Angels, thankfully, answered the bell with this new logo. Just like they did with the new uniforms in 2002 (the same year the Bills were unveiling their current disasters).

Also, if anyone cares, the beveled star isn't an homage to Texas. It's because the Angels "A" is beveled.

Archived