2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Hey at least no one laughs at the 'Noles. Well at least no one can question our loyalty to our overrated teams right?

I'm laughing at FSU right now, down 14 to USF. Let's think about this. FSU gained respect for beating BYU. Mountain west does not compare to the major conferences. FSU winning was not an upset. BYU got high rankings from beating Oklahoma, who are good, but they didn't have their star qb and were obviously in shock. An upset, but not huge. So, to recap, FSU got number 18 for losing to Miami and beating and decent Mountain west team. That seems a little undeserved. Miami, on the flipside, got credit for beating FSU and GT. I give them credit for beating Tech but they were much better than FSU. If Florida State loses to USF today, I think it will let us see that Miami is not all it's cracked up to be, but will also show that the ACC is, well, kinda pathetic.

Now, if Miami beats VT tonight, all that will be thrown out the window. This game will prove if the "U is back". If they lose, they will have lost to a solid VT team, beaten a pretty good GT team, and beaten a mediocre FSU team. Good enough for maybe a ranking in the 20s, but NOT what they need to regain national prominence. If they win, I will personally consider Miami as the best team in the ACC and a national title contender. However, I don't think that will happen. I see VT winning tonight.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone is talking about the "U" being back. Am I the only one who sees this the same way a lot of people saw Mississippi on Thursday night as a trap game? Here you have Miami and everyone is talking them up and you know that the players are reading the papers and listing to the radio and watching ESPN and believing it. This has the potential to be really bad for Miami. Blacksburg is not like walking into New Haven, CT and playing Yale. It's not friendly and VT is a big time program. This has the makings of VT hammering Miami 45-10. Don't be shocked to see a blocked punt for a touchdown early in the game and for the Canes to become shell-shocked.

As far as BYU goes. Well, FSU obviously isn't that good of a team as BYU drove the ball at will down the field and scored on that bad defense. What killed BYU was their turnovers. If they don't have and I know "IF" is a big word, but the turnover at the end of the first half was big and then I think it was their first drive in the second half they were moving the ball down for another score and a turnover again, so don't sit there and pump up FSU that much as they have a porous defense and well being down 14-0 to South Florida at home is more indicative of Florida State than the BYU game. Florida State will not score a lot and struggle to win their games. Then again as I heard from someone who said that BYU was just happy to have FSU in Provo and that they were just happy to play FSU. An attitude like that will get you killed every time. Check the score. 14-6 South Florida.

ESPN+'s Mike Gleason keeps saying "Local affiliates, we'll be taking break number (15, 16 , 17, etc.)" when they go to a commercial break during the Cincinnati-Fresno State game. He just started saying it with commercial break #15. Anyone know what the point of this is?

Everyone is talking about the "U" being back. Am I the only one who sees this the same way a lot of people saw Mississippi on Thursday night as a trap game? Here you have Miami and everyone is talking them up and you know that the players are reading the papers and listing to the radio and watching ESPN and believing it. This has the potential to be really bad for Miami. Blacksburg is not like walking into New Haven, CT and playing Yale. It's not friendly and VT is a big time program. This has the makings of VT hammering Miami 45-10. Don't be shocked to see a blocked punt for a touchdown early in the game and for the Canes to become shell-shocked.

As far as BYU goes. Well, FSU obviously isn't that good of a team as BYU drove the ball at will down the field and scored on that bad defense. What killed BYU was their turnovers. If they don't have and I know "IF" is a big word, but the turnover at the end of the first half was big and then I think it was their first drive in the second half they were moving the ball down for another score and a turnover again, so don't sit there and pump up FSU that much as they have a porous defense and well being down 14-0 to South Florida at home is more indicative of Florida State than the BYU game. Florida State will not score a lot and struggle to win their games. Then again as I heard from someone who said that BYU was just happy to have FSU in Provo and that they were just happy to play FSU. An attitude like that will get you killed every time. Check the score. 14-6 South Florida.

They are not back. They are 2-0 in the ACC, that is it. Miami has played much better than they have in the past two seasons, but they are not "back", even with a win later today. The fact that it is a day game and they know they can control their conference fate with another win should assist them in not looking past today and onto OU.

ESPN+'s Mike Gleason keeps saying "Local affiliates, we'll be taking break number (15, 16 , 17, etc.)" when they go to a commercial break during the Cincinnati-Fresno State game. He just started saying it with commercial break #15. Anyone know what the point of this is?

Ads are set to air within a certain commercial "break number". They may have skipped one for some reason.

Can someone possibly tell me how Michigan keeps getting call after call go their way when they don't deserve getting the call?

That was clearly a simultaneous catch and they both had the ball for a good 2-3 seconds before Warren got the ball.

Because they are Michigan and Indiana is Indiana.

Perhaps if Lynch had a different coaching style in these games than "not to lose," IU might be victorious. They haven't won in Ann Arbor in 42 years. Rumor has it that your replacement has already been selected. Play balls to wall dude. Go for TDs, not play to keep the Figgie.

Also Chappell...down angle 5 degrees. Please?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Can someone possibly tell me how Michigan keeps getting call after call go their way when they don't deserve getting the call?

That was clearly a simultaneous catch and they both had the ball for a good 2-3 seconds before Warren got the ball.

I'm guessing Michigan pays better. Seriously, they cannot be that lucky week after week. Maybe the officials just really are that severely incompetent. Who knows?

spacer.png

Without seeing the game, I'm going to guess that the bolded word is part of, if not the entirety of, the reason.

And at what point did everyone decide to jump on the "bash FSU" train today? Let's be real...my 'Noles weren't much to begin with. Haven't been since at least 2001. Shouldn't be that much of a shock that they're down to USF (not that I'm watching because I can't get that game up here in metro DC/B'more). At least, it ain't a shock to me, anyway. FSU's had this Jekyll and Hyde act mastered for a number of years, now. Problem is, they don't seem to like the better side all that much.

So...is "the U" back? Back from where? Where did they go? If anything, the football program may be on the rise again, but let's kill the whole "the U" thing. Just another product of the worldwide leader's overblown hype machine.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Can someone explain to me what the hell Mississippi State was doing throwing the ball on 3rd 4 inches out? I know he was open but still...

How did he not score on 4th down? Half his body was across the goal line? I think there was the thrid "questionable" call in the last 30 minutes.

1-The fumble by Ponder for FSU. I thought his arm was going forward.

2-IU and the simultaneous catch.

3-MS State at the goalline.

I dunno... I can't help but chuckle every time a Big Ten school lays an egg during bowl season.

When it comes to Ohio State though.. the chuckle becomes a full blown laugh/EPIC FAIL facepalm of doom combination.

Is it the BigTen's fault that almost every year their premier team usually plays in what ends up being a home game for USC at the Rose Bowl? Now, I'm not making any excuses for Ohio State and their failures in big games (except against Michigan in '06... eh.) but can you really count Illinois or Penn State or Michigan (twice) getting blasted by USC every year in the Rose Bowl as "laying eggs"?

Maybe if someone other than Oregon and Cal would challenge USC for the PAC-10 title every year, the Big Ten's bowl record doesn't look as bad.

Uh... Yeah. It's not just in the Rose Bowl, kid. It's been in ALL bowl games as of late. Let me throw some numbers at you.

First off: Last season's Bowl record for the Big Ten... 1-6. The lone win came from Iowa, who manhandled a mid-tier SEC school in South Carolina.

#2: The Big Ten has two BCS wins since 2004... You know who else has two BCS wins? The Mountain West's Utah. In the last six years, the Big Ten only has 15 bowl wins.

So check your facts before you start spouting off nonsense about the Big Ten's crapiness. Like I said, it's not just the Rose Bowl... Hell, anytime a Big Ten school faces anyone from the other BCS conferences, they get weak in the knees and get slaughtered like a pig in a butcher shop.

I dunno... I can't help but chuckle every time a Big Ten school lays an egg during bowl season.

When it comes to Ohio State though.. the chuckle becomes a full blown laugh/EPIC FAIL facepalm of doom combination.

Is it the BigTen's fault that almost every year their premier team usually plays in what ends up being a home game for USC at the Rose Bowl? Now, I'm not making any excuses for Ohio State and their failures in big games (except against Michigan in '06... eh.) but can you really count Illinois or Penn State or Michigan (twice) getting blasted by USC every year in the Rose Bowl as "laying eggs"?

Maybe if someone other than Oregon and Cal would challenge USC for the PAC-10 title every year, the Big Ten's bowl record doesn't look as bad.

Uh... Yeah. It's not just in the Rose Bowl, kid. It's been in ALL bowl games as of late. Let me throw some numbers at you.

First off: Last season's Bowl record for the Big Ten... 1-6. The lone win came from Iowa, who manhandled a mid-tier SEC school in South Carolina.

#2: The Big Ten has two BCS wins since 2004... You know who else has two BCS wins? The Mountain West's Utah. In the last six years, the Big Ten only has 15 bowl wins.

So check your facts before you start spouting off nonsense about the Big Ten's crapiness. Like I said, it's not just the Rose Bowl... Hell, anytime a Big Ten school faces anyone from the other BCS conferences, they get weak in the knees and get slaughtered like a pig in a butcher shop.

How many of those bowl games last year were against teams that finished in the same place in the standings as the Big Ten team? OSU getting shunted the Fiesta Bowl bumped everyone else in the league up as well. If OSU hadn't gone to Tempe, it is quite likely the Big Ten would have had a much more favorable record last year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Without seeing the game, I'm going to guess that the bolded word is part of, if not the entirety of, the reason.

And at what point did everyone decide to jump on the "bash FSU" train today? Let's be real...my 'Noles weren't much to begin with. Haven't been since at least 2001. Shouldn't be that much of a shock that they're down to USF (not that I'm watching because I can't get that game up here in metro DC/B'more). At least, it ain't a shock to me, anyway. FSU's had this Jekyll and Hyde act mastered for a number of years, now. Problem is, they don't seem to like the better side all that much.

So...is "the U" back? Back from where? Where did they go? If anything, the football program may be on the rise again, but let's kill the whole "the U" thing. Just another product of the worldwide leader's overblown hype machine.

"The U" was from 1973 when they actually looked for a sports logo.

In 1973, UM?s Athletic Federation, the fund raising arm of the athletic department at the time, commissioned a local public relations expert to develop a distinctive logo. The University had gone several years with a variety of helmet and uniform changes and the Federation noted that a number of major colleges have the initials UM. Miami designer Bill Bodenhamer suggested the "U" idea, which lent itself to slogans like "U gotta believe" and "U is great".

"The U" was from 1973 when they actually looked for a sports logo.

In 1973, UM?s Athletic Federation, the fund raising arm of the athletic department at the time, commissioned a local public relations expert to develop a distinctive logo. The University had gone several years with a variety of helmet and uniform changes and the Federation noted that a number of major colleges have the initials UM. Miami designer Bill Bodenhamer suggested the "U" idea, which lent itself to slogans like "U gotta believe" and "U is great".

I knew that, dawg. ^_^ And I knew I shoulda clarified that in my previous post.

What I was getting at was seemingly everyone suddenly referring to them as such after K2's little rant...and again after the worldwide leader starting serving up big Route 66-sized orange and green kool-aid cups to anyone thirsty for the hype. (Part of why I kept "quoting" it as I wrote it.)

BTW...at last check, the Hokies were straight stomping down the Hurricanes--which kinda sucks, cuz I'm actually pulling for Miami to win this game, if for no other reason than one Jacory Harris. Here's hoping they can get their act together in the second half and show some of that "refuse to lose" attitude.

Speaking of downers, not that it's any surprise, but my daggone Seminoles pretty much just shat on their own field, having lost to the Bulls of South Florida. Oh well...it ain't like they were on anyone's radar to do anything this year anyway.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived