Best teams that DIDN't win their championship

vicfurth

NHL: Those Blackhawks teams in the early 90s that didn't win because of that Lemeiux cat. :P

Lemieux was only responsible for '92... in '91 and '93 they choked and got beat up by much weaker teams in the first round.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

This really is an awesome thread, btw. I've had too many daydreams in my head wondering how it would've been had any of these teams actually won the 'ship (the legit teams, not the homer squads that you fell in love with :P).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1999 Jacksonville Jaguars best record in football at 14-2 and get upended in the AFC Title game against the Titans, Imagine if Super Bowl XXXIV was the Rams vs. the Jaguars.

And my homer pick

2004 Calgary Flames maybe not the best team in the NHL but they put in the best team effort and fell a Kerry Fraser short of winning the Cup.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

-2004 Auburn Tigers in football (I believe that was the year they went 13-0 and didn't even play in the championship game, right?)

I was thinking the same thing too.

1967 Baltimore Colts (That team went 11-1-2 and DIDN'T qualify for the Playoff)

2000 and 2008 Tennessee Titans

2006-07 Nashville Predators

1990-91 and 1992-1993 Chicago Blackhawks

Really?

Did the Preds even win their own division that year?

No, they didn't, but then again the suggestion came from Nashville...

They wad the best record in the league for a while before Detroit caught them @ the end of the regular season,and eventually losing to San Jose (again) in the 1st round

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%93...tern_Conference

This could be a stretch but how about the 11-5 2008 Patriots? They lost Brady but they still had one of the best offenses in the NFL. This coming from a Ravens fan!

My homer pick would have to be the 2003 Ravens. Steve McNair took us to a 13-3 record, AFC North title and a #2 seed. We had our best defense since 2000, our offense was decent and we would have had an AFC Championship game in Baltimore. I guess it was just Peyton's year. But wouldn't it have been cool to have a Ravens vs Bears superbowl? The two best defenses in the NFL that year facing off. We will be in the Superbowl this year though LETS GO FLACCO!!!!

-2004 Auburn Tigers in football (I believe that was the year they went 13-0 and didn't even play in the championship game, right?)

Really?

They wad the best record in the league for a while before Detroit caught them @ the end of the regular season,and eventually losing to San Jose (again) in the 1st round

Hard to call them one of the best teams ever to not win their championship when there were 2 teams better than them that season... both of whom didn't win the championship either.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I hate these types of threads, but when I read the title, the first non-homer team that came to mind was the '98 Vikings. That offense was unreal, and I think they would have taken out Denver in that SB. At the very least, they'd have challenged them more than the Falcons did. That Falcons team has to be one of the worst teams ever to make a championship game.

My homer pick would be the 2002 Eagles, who had their title dreams crushed by Joe Jeravicious (sp) and Rhonde Barber. Actually, they're title dreams were crushed by Blaine Bishop, Barry Gardner, Levon Kirkland, and Donovan McNabb. Andy Reid too - the fat man got outcoached in every aspect of the game. They handled the Bucs earlier in the year, were a prohibitive favorite in the NFCCG, and would certainly have destroyed the Raiders (as the Bucs did) in the SB.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Really?

Hard to call them one of the best teams ever to not win their championship when there were 2 teams better than them that season... both of whom didn't win the championship either.

Plain and simple, it was a homer pick. We can all name a hockey a million hockey teams who are more deserving of this title than the '06-'07 Preds. Moving along....

6uXNWAo.png

Top 10 Best MLS Clubs NOT to Win the Cup

10. 2006 FC Dallas

9. 2007 Chivas USA

8. 2008 Houston Dynamo

7. 2004 Columbus Crew

6. 2006 DC United

5. 2000 Chicago Fire

4. 2005 New England Revolution

3. 2005 San Jose Earthquakes

2. 1996 Tampa Bay Mutiny

*. 2009 New York Red Bulls :P

1. 1998 Los Angeles Galaxy

Source

Oh,I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 1998 Minnesota Vikings.

I just did. Look up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In baseball the best team often does not win it all.

1990 A's

1993 Giants

And for that matter, the 1993 Braves were even better than the Giants and still didn't make the World Series.

1995 Indians

1996 Orioles (Although if they beat the Yankees, I think the Braves take them)

1997 Indians

The list goes on and on.

I just did. Look up.

Sorry guys,seriously

But anyway another that comes to mind is the 2000 Miami Hurricanes,only because of the simple fact that they beat FSU head to head but FSU ended up in the title game,but to loss to Washington didn't help though.

It's been mentioned (See page 1, very top).

Has anyone mentioned the 15-1 2004 Steelers though?

If there's such a thing as going 15-1 and being underwhelming, it's that team right there. That entire season, I never thought that the Steelers were gonna win it all. It wasn't like the '07 Patriots 16-0 season where they were just clobbering people, the '98 Vikings 15-1 where they were just up and down the field, or the '85 Bears when they were clobbering everybody except the Dolphins that year. For them to be 15-1, they just didn't have that air of invincibility like the other teams did, plus they went down so feebly against the Patriots that year that it's hard to put them near the top.

1997 Indians

Not even close. The 1997 Indians weren't even the best team in The AL that season. Their season record was 86-75. They got hot at the right time and beat two teams (Yankees and Orioles) that were clearly better than they were. The '97 Indians were a lot closer to the 2006 Cardinals than they were to the 1998 Yankees or even the '95 Indians for that matter. As an Indians fan I enjoyed 1997 far more than 1995. In '95 anything short of a title was a failure. In '97 it was one of those crazy rides that a fan rarely gets to experience. I was just happy to be there.

BB52Big.jpg

One could make a case for the 2001 Mariners, as they went 6-3 vs the Yankees in the regular season, however, they won only 1 game out of 5 in the ALCS. Had it gone 7 games, I'd probably reconsider.

1991 Braves I must agree with, Lonnie Smith's bad baserunning cost them that World Series. I cannot agree with the 1969 Orioles however. For one, the Mets' pitching, for another the Mets won that series in just 5 games. Had it gone to 7, I could perhaps agree. The other 1969 Baltimore team that got upset by a New York underdog team, the Colts, on the other hand, I could agree with a bit more. The 1985 St. Louis Cardinals spring to mind, due to that blown call at 1st base in game 6 of the Series vs. K.C. The 1919 Chicago White Sox. The 1986 Angels, 1 stinkin strike away, and Donnie Moore committed suicide not long after serving that longball up to Henderson too. I cannot agree with the '88 or the '90 A's, because they were beat in 5 and 4 games respectively. 1990-92 Pittsburgh Pirates, 1984 and 2003 Cubs, 1981 & 1994 Expos, 1988 Mets, the Bills in Super Bowl XXV, Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, The Steelers several times losing the AFC title game at home, especially to the Chargers....Stan Humphries? Please! The Colts from a few years ago losing at home to Pitt in the playoffs, definitely the 1998 Vikings rank right up there too.

Another homer pick, but one that I think holds up: 2004-2005 Illinois Basketball.

Ranked #1 from early December until the Tourney after knocking off previous #1 Wake Forest.

Lost one regular season game ? the finale at Ohio State by one point.

Rolled through the Big Ten Tournament.

Won an all time classic tournament game against Arizona, coming back from 15 down with 4:00 left to win in OT to get into the Final Four.

Beat a very good Louisville team to go to the Championship Game.

Lost to North Carolina in the Finals, finishing the year 37-2.

Archived