2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Can't do it. Their records were viped out.

I suppose Joe Louis Arena could probably use a replacement. I'm surprised that the Red Wings stayed so committed to the city of Detroit while the Lions and Pistons were fleeing for suburbia like most Detroiters. Maybe they value their proximity to Windsor. Personally, I'd like them to build on the site of old Tiger Stadium (Red Wing Stadium?) so that that neighborhood can become some sort of destination again, but I don't know the logistics of that, and I suppose they wouldn't be moving to Auburn Hills for two years if they didn't plan on rebuilding on the riverfront.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't do it. Their records were viped out.

I suppose Joe Louis Arena could probably use a replacement. I'm surprised that the Red Wings stayed so committed to the city of Detroit while the Lions and Pistons were fleeing for suburbia like most Detroiters. Maybe they value their proximity to Windsor. Personally, I'd like them to build on the site of old Tiger Stadium (Red Wing Stadium?) so that that neighborhood can become some sort of destination again, but I don't know the logistics of that, and I suppose they wouldn't be moving to Auburn Hills for two years if they didn't plan on rebuilding on the riverfront.

if dey moove 2 awwburn hillz, den dey culd bcome da deetrot red wingz ov awwburn hillz!!!!12siete

I'm an advocate of conceptual posting, but even I have to gently and politely call for a moratorium on that whole "second-grade spelling with exclamation points that become 1s which become the word 'eleven'" and stuff. It's just played out, y'know? I'm as sick of stupid people making the Angels joke as anyone, but now I'm sick of people who make fun of the stupid people! Stupid Angels.

http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com/

Speaking of concepts, here's an intriguing proposal for a Neo-Olympia to replace the Joe. I could get on board with that, though there's something that seems off about using red brick. I guess I expect weird polygonal glass things jutting out at odd angles from all my arenas these days.

Nothing's wrong with it, it's just too utilitarian, I guess. However, there is something depressing about watching Red Wings home games. Even the goal horn sounds like it's been beaten down by life in Detroit.

Hey, how is that Abbotsford team doing, anyway?

The Rivermen dread playing them, at the least.

At least you ain't gotta play Hershey...

Andrew Gordon FTW!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Not that anyone outside a 800-mile radius cares, but Canucks come from behind with 6 minutes left in the third to tie, then beat the Oil in OT, 3-2. Questionable reffing abounds once again.

Also, Henrik extends his scoring lead to 5 points over Ovie, with a 3-assist night.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Nothing's wrong with it, it's just too utilitarian, I guess. However, there is something depressing about watching Red Wings home games. Even the goal horn sounds like it's been beaten down by life in Detroit.

Basically, older stadiums generate far less revenue than new ones. Though now that I've looked this up on Wiki, the Joe is not as old as I thought it was based on how people talk about it.

Basically, older stadiums generate far less revenue than new ones. Though now that I've looked this up on Wiki, the Joe is not as old as I thought it was based on how people talk about it.

It's kind of "new comiskey" like. It's not old enough to be classic, but it was built before the new age of arena design. It's stuck in between. It would be okay if it weren't for the 45 degree angle that fans have to sit at or the concourses which are like shoving several thousand people through a small hallway. Other than that, it's very serviceable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's kind of "new comiskey" like. It's not old enough to be classic, but it was built before the new age of arena design. It's stuck in between. It would be okay if it weren't for the 45 degree angle that fans have to sit at or the concourses which are like shoving several thousand people through a small hallway. Other than that, it's very serviceable.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. JLA is serviceable but not great.

Then take into account r.o.i. on the ticket you purchase.

I know comparing the Red Wings and the Blue Jackets in terms of on ice product is like comparing apples and oranges (However both teams are currently out of the playoffs :D )

However...

Last weekend I paid $83 dollars each for 2 for lower bowl tickets to see Jackets vs. Blackhawks. We had great seats, in a fantastic arena in a vibrant safe downtown area. In contrast, I am paying the same amount for upper bowl tickets for Penguins vs. Wings at JLA in March. The JLA, by modern standards is a dump. The arena itself is a nothing to look at and not that impressive. I know we get scolded by some for dumping on Detroit but is there really any where near the arena you feel safe walking to after a game? Also, the Wings are having attendance issues. Specials are being run on tv now where a person can get tickets to 3 games, + 1 pop per game + 1 Hotdog or popcorn per game for $96 and don't give me the economy excuse, the Wings had problems filling the arena in the '08 and '09 Stanley Cup runs.

While the Joe is not the best area it is "serviceable". Imagine what new arena in the Fox Theater district could be. New revenue, better luxury boxes at a higher price plus how many people would go to games just because its a new arena? Tiger attendance was way up in their first year at Comerica that would surely be the same for the Wings.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

My biggest issue with the Joe is the quality, which, when new was great I'm sure, but over the years has declined. The seats are tiny, crammed into the seat in front of you, leaving you no choice but to stand up when someone wants out. If you want the "cheap" seats ($55) you have to climb over 100 half-sized steps (I counted), to get to your seat that is literally stuffed up into the roof (my head touched when I stood up). Add to that, in some areas you are seated beside a box that juts out beyond the seats. I had no view of the far corner from my seat, I could see the near corner to about the faceoff dot on the far circle. The bathrooms are outdated, no proper urinals, just a trough with a drain in the middle, which is fine if you're in there alone, but not on intermission when 15 guys try to squeeze up to 1 trough. Not the ideal situation for peeing in public.

I was surprised by how "new" the Joe was as well, compared to other arenas in the league. I find it odd that the Lions and Tigers, perennial failures, both got new digs before the Red Wings, the most successful of the Detroit franchises in recent years.

The reason I believe that the Wings have remained in JLA for so long was that they got a real sweetheart deal at a time that the Lions and Pistons were headed towards the suburbs. I think I read once that the Wings were offered an Arena in Pontiac but declined once the Joe deal came around.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Speaking of the AHL, I'm truly positive that the Springfield Falcons could the best team's lineup in the AHL and still be awful.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Laraque was bought out by the Canadiens today. Bad timing, Mr. Gainey.

Gainey's clueless. Laraque was the only physical presence on the team, and now he's gone. Sure the game is a lot more open now than 10 years ago, but you still need some sort of tough-guy.

1zqy8ok.gif

Laraque was bought out by the Canadiens today. Bad timing, Mr. Gainey.

Gainey's clueless. Laraque was the only physical presence on the team, and now he's gone. Sure the game is a lot more open now than 10 years ago, but you still need some sort of tough-guy.

Signing Colton Orr sure is doing wonders for Toronto...oh wait...

My biggest issue with the Joe is the quality, which, when new was great I'm sure, but over the years has declined. The seats are tiny, crammed into the seat in front of you, leaving you no choice but to stand up when someone wants out. If you want the "cheap" seats ($55) you have to climb over 100 half-sized steps (I counted), to get to your seat that is literally stuffed up into the roof (my head touched when I stood up). Add to that, in some areas you are seated beside a box that juts out beyond the seats. I had no view of the far corner from my seat, I could see the near corner to about the faceoff dot on the far circle. The bathrooms are outdated, no proper urinals, just a trough with a drain in the middle, which is fine if you're in there alone, but not on intermission when 15 guys try to squeeze up to 1 trough. Not the ideal situation for peeing in public.

I was surprised by how "new" the Joe was as well, compared to other arenas in the league. I find it odd that the Lions and Tigers, perennial failures, both got new digs before the Red Wings, the most successful of the Detroit franchises in recent years.

They still have the pee in a trough thing? Sounds like at the very least the Joe needs a make-over. I believe they've even put proper urinals in the Pacific Coliseum, which hasn't been an NHL building for over ten years, and they put in new seats for the Olympics as well.

Archived