Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

#21: Halifax Citadels // Halifax, NS

Logo.png

This one was requested a while back, I think. I loved the name and the potential to focus in on a particular place and time in history. So for the primary logo, I have a group of British soldiers defending the fort/citadel in Halifax. The Citadels were an old Nordiques farm team, so I borrowed the light blue and red from their old set and added navy blue and silver. I also used the shape of the citadel as a motif running throughout the concept, using lots of straight lines and angles, and avoiding curves whenever possible.

The primary crest is simply the primary logo. I tried dropping the type or framing the scene other ways, but this was the best solution. For the home and road uniforms, I also drew some inspiration from the old Nordiques: I wanted to evoke the old sleeves, which were practically bare. So I tucked the triple striping pattern to the inside of the navy piping, which would keep most of it hidden most of the time. There's also matching piping on the side panels and socks. On the shoulders, there's a patch that updates the old Citadels' logo: An outline of the citadel, with the clock tower silhouetted inside, to which I've added an HC monogram.

The alternate has a more traditional look. I went with red to match the soldiers' red coats. The crest is the HC monogram, nestled into the citadel shape. The shoulder yoke is straight and tapers at an angle which fits into an angle on the stripes behind the numbers, and continues to the bottom of that stripe. Also, the shoulder patch--a rifleman set in front of the Nova Scotia flag's blue cross--fits into the angle on the yoke.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Special note: I need to thank everyone for feedback on the Phoenix concept. I've made a few changes and will update it soon.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the back two soldiers would read just as effectively if they were rendered in shadow with just a couple highlights on hands, face, and weapons. That would reduce the detail, and then make the middle soldier really pop and stand out while keeping the really nice proportions of the logo.

Wow, what a smart concept. Colours are awesome. I agree that the main logo may be too detailed, but from reading your description it makes sense why it is the way it is. I really like the shoulder patch on the alternate. The somewhat simple striping on the alternate is also quite awesome.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew the complexity of the primary logo might not work as a crest. I had done a few versions using just the officer, framed by a citadel shape, but there was just too much negative space for my tastes. So I went back and added some ramparts behind him to fill some of it in. Ideally, I'd love to include all three figures, but that just doesn't seem feasible. What do you guys think of this as an updated crest for the home and road jerseys?

Logo-2a.png

Also, I made a minor update to the Phoenix set. I wasn't happy about the balance between the crimson and the navy (there seemed to be too much navy), so I lopped some of it off the bottom of the sleeves. This creates more negative space--white on the road jersey, crimson on the home--and I think it's a better balance of the colors.

#22: Topeka Scarecrows // Topeka, KS

Logo.png

This one was requested at least once, and I've been working on it for a while. The nickname is evocative and fantastic, and I chose dark brown, yellow, and red for the colors. Very similar to the old Scarecrows colors. Tan and light brown are additional colors--used in the logos--with some tan in the alternate jersey striping.

The home and road uniforms are a bit busy--I know they won't appeal to everyone--with lots of piping and triple stripes. The primary crest is the scarecrow head from the primary logo. I wanted to match the feel of the logos, with many bright curved strokes set against a dark background. On the shoulders, there's a patch with the stylized T set in a circle in front of fleeing crows, all above two crossed hockey sticks.

The alternate uniform uses the full-bodied scarecrow as the crest, so I wanted to use a more traditional look on the jersey to balance that. I had to flip the logo horizontally to keep it from interfering with the captains' A/C patches, but I'm still happy with how it looks. The "Scarecrows" wordmark is below the collar.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I was hoping that you would do this team. For me, the third jersey is the selling part. I like it because the jersey could easily be their home jersey just as much as the black jersey. Any thoughts of doing a cycle as a patch? As always dgnmrwrw.

Limerick

Scarecrows look awesome. The scarecrow looks very intimidating. IMO, the wordmark with the scarecrow could have been used as a main crest on one of the jerseys. The colours are perfect. Also, I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't like all of that piping. However, I do like the triple stripes.

How do you keep coming up with all the time to do these killer designs? Keep it up!

Archived