Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

I've been working on some rebranding of old minor league hockey teams (so far, ones that I remember watching when I was growing up) that have now gone under. I'm still on a bit of a hockey bender, but I wanted to do some concepts for teams that had less of an established style that fans grew (sometimes rabidly) attached to, hopefully giving me more freedom to to whatever I want: new logos, new colors, modern uniforms, whatever. I have tried to give everything a more "new minor league team" feel, with things like primary logos that include wordmarks.

If people want to, while giving feedback, request a defunct team for me to add to the series, I'd be happy to consider them. I just don't want this thread to become a bunch of "HEY COULD YOU PLZ DO TEAM X NEXT THX" posts. Everything is open right now: I have no idea how many teams I'll be doing or how long this series will last. Coming up, the first team: The Greensboro Generals.

LogoList1.png

LogoList2.png

LogoList3.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1: Greensboro Generals // Greensboro, NC

Logo.png

I grew up with the ECHL Greensboro Monarchs, who moved to the AHL for a few years before leaving when the Hurricanes played in Greensboro for two years. The Generals came later, but I always loved the name and thought it fit the city beautifully, as Greensboro is named for Revolutionary War general Nathaniel Greene.

Greene was defeated (based on losses) at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse (in present-day Greensboro), but the battle helped to wear down British general Cornwallis's army. So I've gone with a Revolutionary-era look, with the logo based on the statue of Greene at the Guilford Courthouse site. The colors are steel blue, light blue, gold, and yellow. The typeface is a custom creation.

The uniforms are pretty basic: simple straight stripes on the arms, waist, and socks. The crest is based on the primary logo, with General Greene inset in a wedge shape, with a star beneath. There's a G/Sword logo encircled by "Greensboro Generals" on the shoulders. The alternate set is all steel blue, with the G/Sword logo on the chest. There is a white and yellow star on each shoulder, and five stars along the waist.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Wow, great work, and ballsy color scheme. I think you pulled it off great. I don't know of any teams you should do right now, but I'm sure you have enough you are planning on doing already. I really like everything about those, so keep up the good work.

Veryy nice man! I'd like to see a Providence Red, Maine Mariners, Springfield Indians, Cleveland Barons, Pensecola Ice Pilots or Pheonix Roadrunners. Or just any minor league team that was around for decent period of time, or had a good record while they were around.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback so far. And I'll take a look at all of the requested teams. So far, I've finished 4 and I'm working on 2-3 more. And, rvrdgsfn, one of the teams I'm currently working on is the Renegades.

Keep the comments coming, and I'll post another team before too long.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback so far. And I'll take a look at all of the requested teams. So far, I've finished 4 and I'm working on 2-3 more. And, rvrdgsfn, one of the teams I'm currently working on is the Renegades.

Keep the comments coming, and I'll post another team before too long.

Awesome, I can't wait

baltimoreravens.png

Somebody requested the Maine Mariners, and I would love to see them done too, but I thought the point was that you "wanted to do some concepts for teams that had less of an established style that fans grew (sometimes rabidly) attached to." I think people love(d) their logo and look, so I wouldn't think they would be a good fit for this project. I guess what I'm saying is I was going to request them, but thought they would be denied, so I second that nomination if you are up for it.

Very nice work! I am also originally from Greensboro and grew up on the original Generals and later the Monarchs. The only things I would change are to use kelly greeen and gold and to invert your road and alternate concepts and use a "white" version of the alternate for the home uniform.

Very nice concept. Don't really like the stars on the alternate uniform shrink them chnage the color for the outline of the star or get rid of the star and use another logo. The wedge piece you put in the logo reminded me of the name they gave to the High Point, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro area known as the TRIAD area. Nice job and keep up the good work.

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

Somebody requested the Maine Mariners, and I would love to see them done too, but I thought the point was that you "wanted to do some concepts for teams that had less of an established style that fans grew (sometimes rabidly) attached to." I think people love(d) their logo and look, so I wouldn't think they would be a good fit for this project. I guess what I'm saying is I was going to request them, but thought they would be denied, so I second that nomination if you are up for it.

Thanks for reading the premise, and you're right. I wanted this to be more of a "newer" or less established thing, if only because all the teams I grew up with (basically, the SE United States) fit that profile, and seemed more open to complete overhaul. But I'll look at every suggestion and decide which to do. (There's no way I'll end up doing every team that's requested.)

The wedge piece you put in the logo reminded me of the name they gave to the High Point, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro area known as the TRIAD area. Nice job and keep up the good work.

I hadn't thought about that Triad connection, and it's a nice catch. Of course, I've already completed a Winston-Salem team's concept, so I would'nt want to give the Greensboro team control over the "Triad" idea. But if I were doing these individually, then playing up the triangle/Triad idea would be smart.

Next team will be posted soon.

Archived