Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Lots of people complained about the triangle, so let me try to defend its use. First, whenever I can use a free form logo, I do. I'll only resort to a framing shape of some kind when I think it's warranted either by the size of the logo (where I want to focus on a particular part, as in the Worchester crest) or by the shape (where there isn't a good place to truncate the logo, as in the Madison crest).

Maybe I'm partial to a triangular shape because I like the way it "frames" what I want to show. But I went back and crunched the numbers for this series, and I don't really think that's the case. Here's the data I compiled, showing the basic shape used for each team's primary and alternate jersey crests. You'll notice that only 6 of the 34 logos have been triangles. If anything, I've been using an overabundance of free form logos or circular frames. And no, I do not consider a shield to be the same shape as a triangle. One has curved sides and one has straight. Of course, even if I were to count the triangles, shields, and wedges together, that's still only 11 out of 34, less than the 13 free form logos.

A lot of this probably has to do with the fact that several of the more recent logos have indeed used triangles (Madison, New Haven, Philadelphia). But I think an honest look at the complete series shows that there hasn't been an overabundance of triangles. All that said, I will continue to try to use free form whenever possible, and I'll make an extra effort to avoid triangles in the concepts coming up.

GFB, I understand what you're saying about the hockey stick, but I don't think it's going to happen here. First, it's not really my style to lean to the hyperbolic like that. But more importantly, given the size of the monster's hand (it's pretty much normal human), he'd have to be holding a twig, not a tree trunk. Not sure that would be what I want here.

But many thanks to the link for the posters. Those are all freakin' gorgeous, and I'll try to find some inspiration for an improved wordmark. I'll get an update posted whenever I can.

Let me just play a little devil's advocate here. I would say that it is not as much a ratio of total logos vs. logos with triangles shields, but the ratio of main jersey crests that feature some sort of the following three-point design:

-------- Logo

I guess the prime examples I would use would be look at the Worchester and Philadelphia designs. In my honest opinion, I don't see a need for a three-point shape of any kind being incorporated into the design. Those logos are strong enough on their own that any additional design aesthetics do nothing but become a detriment to your own amazing designs.

All you have to do is scroll back through the last 10 pages. Just see how many of your rebrands follow this pattern:

PRIMARY) Basic Geometric Shape/Logo/Wordmark below.

MAIN CREST) I'll add ______ three point-shape and drop the wordmark.

ALTERNATE) How about I take a circle logo, take some aspect of the main logo or subject matter, add some crossed hockey sticks, and voila!

Don't get me wrong, its a tried and true design strategy for hockey uniforms, and obviously you have had much success using it. But when you are a bystander seeing a parade of impressive yet somewhat redundant concepts, you start saying to yourself "Okay, I know he can do this method really well, but what else can he do?"

I hope you take this post in the spirit it was intended. I post because I care about your development as a designer. This is a natural hurdle for a designer, and believe me, I've struggled with this too.

Now about the hockey stick... could you at least try roughen-ing it up for me? Make it look a little dirtier and not so clean; a little jag here, a little bend there. I'm not going to lie, the clean hockey stick throws me off a little.

Glad you appreciate the link... his work is definitely inspiring.

what league were the madison monsters in before they became defunct team of minor league hockey

Colonial Hockey League (CHL, CoHL so it wasn't confusing to the Central Hockey league) which became the United Hockey League (UHL) which is now the International Hockey League (IHL).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Hockey_League_%282007%E2%80%93%29

GFB, while I appreciate your input, I think perhaps you've made a few assumptions that have created an extremely oversimplified view of my design process, which of course you would have no way of knowing. For instance, as I stated at the beginning of this endeavor, creating primary logos with integrated wordmarks but using primary crests without those wordmarks was a major goal I had in this project. Contrary to your idea that that was some hurdle I couldn't get past, that choice was a conscious design decision that I laid out for myself at the outset. Furthermore, as I said in my previous post, the notion that I keep using triangles (or any version of a three-pointed shape) as my default "frame" for my crests is demonstrably inaccurate. 11 three-pointed logos versus 13 free form and 6 circular logos. Those are the numbers. I do apologize to anyone who has been disappointed by any perceived "redundancy" of this project. I still maintain that an honest look back at all the materials I've produced throughout this project will reveal a lot of variation while still maintaining some consistencies that I said at the very beginning I wanted to build my work around.

All that said, I've taken your input (and that from others) and have an update. I think this is a much improved look, and it also eliminates the triangular crests, which I think is something we can all enjoy! For the primary, the type has changed, I eliminated some of the stars, and I simplified the moon and used only the single shade of gray. The new typeface has also found its way onto the shoulder patch. And the uniforms now feature simplified numbers, curved striping, and a new circular logo with the monster "emerging" from the darkness.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I have tried to give everything a more "new minor league team" feel, with things like primary logos that include wordmarks.

This came from your first post in this thread and I believe you've held true to this. I think it's a good exercise for you and all of us to try to make different kinds of logos for different applications. We often speak of a "minor league feel" or "that wouldn't work for a team like xxx." The logo needs to fit the situation. The logos in this thread are very fitting for minor league hockey and it's a nod to the feel of those times. I think you could have made these logos really awesome and modern but you stopped yourself and didn't veer from what you set out to do. Like what GFB said about a tree branch in the monster's hand. It would look great, but minor league logos always seem to have that out of place stick. You made these logos 98% awesome and then sprinkled in 2% silly cliche. I wish you would make another thread to update these logos the way you would if a client came up to you and wanted you to make these logos for 2010.

The monsters update looks fantastic. The new font is appropriate and really adds to that 50's scifi feel.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

#18: Chicago Hounds // Chicago, IL

Logo.png

Bit of a different look here. More light-hearted, I think. The colors are sorta similar to the original Hounds: midnight blue, light blue, and brown/tan. I made the full-bodied hound with the intention of using him in a uniform logo somewhere, but that didn't end up happening. But I still like it as a primary logo.

The uniforms have some traditional striping mixed with some nontraditional elements, such as a shoulder yoke that's truncated by piping. The primary crest is the hound's head paired with a C that has collar spikes coming out. On the shoulders, there's a patch of a hound's paw print.

I went with brown for the alternate, and used the custom wordmark as the crest. The color progression on the sleeve striping matches the progression from the wordmark, and the truncated shoulder yoke has been kept, but reversed. The C-hound logo appears as a shoulder patch, and the paw print is on the bottom of the back of the jersey.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I think the hounds logo is my favorite of the series. I really like the color combo and the alternate jersey is awesome. A few nitpicks though, the stroke on the legs of the dog doesn't vary at all. It leaves the logo feeling very flat. Also, even though collars are very thin, the thinness of the collar around the wordmark looks weird compared to the thick stroke of the wordmark. The transition from where the 'S' turns into the tail isn't as natural as it could be.

I hope you still have more plans for this series. I've enjoyed every bit of it.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

This puts the old logo to shame, that's a good look for the old Riverdog team, very nice.

I miss the RiverDogs. :(

I do too man, I do too. We will get another team, just gotta be patient enough, but that's a different story for a different day.

baltimoreravens.png

That Hounds set is terrific, but it could be even better; it's like it's so close to perfect that it hurts that it isn't.

The collar around the wordmark sticks out terribly, as if it were an afterthought. I like the idea, but if you're going to do it, it needs to integrate better.

The C-collar idea is brilliant, but if you managed to make it six-pointed, like a star from the Chicago city flag, rather than eight, it would be amazing and symbolic.

The blue jersey seems really dark; I think it could use a little white to perk it up a bit. The white jersey seems too black-centric, given that the other jersey is primarily blue. The brown jersey's fantastic; it works very well without much blue.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Man, I dunno about this one. Yes, it looks nice as is but, it could be better like Mockba has said. The hound is well rendered, But the primary is just so boring to me. The script is very odd and without character, the 'o' doesn't fit too well with the H. I think if you varied line thickness in the lettering it might be a little better.

Also, each element of the primary seems like it's on its own plane. The hound looks great alone, but the script just weighs it down. Maybe if you incorperated the primary more with the script it will look more unified.

Looking foward to an update.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is one of my favourite series.

Here's the first thing I thought of when I saw your Hounds concept.

scooby.jpg

It's not necessarily a bad thing and quite frankly the similarities between your logo and Scooby Doo aren't that flagrant. I'm just pointing it out because, to be honest, I'm surprised that it's gotten past our crack team of "uniform reviewers".

thecatch.jpg

This puts the old logo to shame, that's a good look for the old Riverdog team, very nice.

I miss the RiverDogs. :(

I do too man, I do too. We will get another team, just gotta be patient enough, but that's a different story for a different day.

I've heard the ECHL is coming back in for the 2010 or 2011 season. They may play at the SportsQuest Complex in Chesterfield.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I've been in awe of your series of concept and I think element of this last design are spectacular, but obscured by the spikes and collar. I don't think they are necessary. I think you could without them and the concept would stand up as a dignified and proud animal. It doesn't need the menacing spikes. The wordmark is great, once again without the collar, as others have said. The tail of it is brilliant.

The best part of the concept is the full-bodied hound and I find it's a shame it's nowhere on the uniforms. I'd try it alone as a crest, with the heads as shoulder logos or vice-versa.

As Mockba said, it's close to perfect, but cluttered to me by unnecessary elements.

Hey, I am loving this post - your updates are truely wonderful. The Chi-Hounds is a big upgrade.

Too bad those folks out there hire crappy people to do their logos when you could be doing them.

Beast, Monsters, Tigersharks, & Hounds are my favorites.

Keep up the good work.

When your done w/ this project, how about an NHL upgrade for my (defunted but still loved) Kansas City Scouts!??

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

• 3 weeks later...

dgnmrwrw, really great work. Im part of a new rec hockey team and am interested in using one of your logos perhaps. We can offer you a jersey once they are made or something else. Please PM if you are interested and we can sort it out.

p.s. sorry if this is out of order here. I just found the site and dont see rules explaining what is and what is not OK, and cant PM you it seems because I'm a new user.

Archived