Tampa Bay Bandits

drj983

I was watching the "Small Potatoes" documentary on ESPN tonight about the demise of the USFL, and in part of the show where they interviewed Chuck Pitcock (a former player for the Bandits), it looked like the Tampa Bay Bandits were wearing a British flag (a "Union Jack," so to speak) as a patch on the left chest of the jersey.

Does anyone know what this was all about?

The Bandits played an exhibition against the Stars in London in 1984.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What I thought this thread was going to be about is how the Tampa Bay Bandits uniforms were a direct rip-off of Ohio State's uniforms at the same time. The only differences were the striped socks, logo on the helmets and sleeves, and the outlined numbers. Other than that the uniforms were so close I don't know how nobody raised any kind of fuss.

anderson.jpg vs. MCOBTMRRGGGPZIH.20090430130718.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

What I thought this thread was going to be about is how the Tampa Bay Bandits uniforms were a direct rip-off of Ohio State's uniforms at the same time. The only differences were the striped socks, logo on the helmets and sleeves, and the outlined numbers. Other than that the uniforms were so close I don't know how nobody raised any kind of fuss.

Maybe someone did, then realized once the league started going downhill (I believe in Season 3) that it wasn't worth the fuss. :P

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Completely off-topic, my brother bought a game-worn Bandits jersey at the (then) team store in the big double-decker mall on the Dale Mabry across from the old Tampa Stadium for $20. No idea who the player was, or if he still has it.

But dammit, he had one.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Obviously there was no internet back then. It cost too much to call long distance, so unless you had another uni geek in close proximity, you would have just had to keep your fuss to yourself. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Completely off-topic, my brother bought a game-worn Bandits jersey at the (then) team store in the big double-decker mall on the Dale Mabry across from the old Tampa Stadium for $20. No idea who the player was, or if he still has it.

But dammit, he had one.

Yeah, and that mall is long gone now. The land is now the new Bucs training facility and a parking lot for stadium events.

Hell yeah...except for a few differences, it's exactly the same! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Thanks - that makes sense.

Also, I did notice last night just how similar the Bandits were to OSU, but it didn't even occur to me to bring it up ion here. I doubt it was just coincidence; they mentioned during the doc. that TB's owner was a shrewd marketer who was in charge of just about everything (including selecting the team colors).

Thanks - that makes sense.

Also, I did notice last night just how similar the Bandits were to OSU, but it didn't even occur to me to bring it up ion here. I doubt it was just coincidence; they mentioned during the doc. that TB's owner was a shrewd marketer who was in charge of just about everything (including selecting the team colors).

Burt Reynolds?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

John Bassett

Oh, this wasn't a trivia question? Damn!

I was hoping for some pictures of his tennis playing daughter --

carling_bassett_tennis7.jpg8_Carling_Bassett_cba046.jpg

Back on topic --

The Bandits uniforms were pretty similar to Ohio State's uniforms, but I loved them. I like that sleeve stripe pattern much better than what they have now. It just looks a lot cleaner.

EDIT -- Damn, I'm getting old. Apparently she is old enough to have a daughter who is a sophomore at UCLA.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

But dammit, he had one.

I did the same thing. I bought a white road jersey.

What was the USFL's obsession with RED????

It seemed like every other team in the league wore red jerseys. What gives? I was laughing when I saw the documentary because it was as if there was a huge sale on red jerseys and half the league bought into it. LOL! We poke fun at the limited color scheme of the UFL....wow, what about the USFL?

Hell yeah...except for a few differences, it's exactly the same! :P

Hey, look... OSU's pants stripe used to match the helmet stripe. Nice.

It seemed like every other team in the league wore red jerseys. What gives? I was laughing when I saw the documentary because it was as if there was a huge sale on red jerseys and half the league bought into it. LOL! We poke fun at the limited color scheme of the UFL....wow, what about the USFL?

It was the UNITED STATES Football League. Red is AMERICAN! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Shhh... Don't tell Icecap.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

No, comrade, red is COMMUNIST!!!! :shocked:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MCOBTMRRGGGPZIH.20090430130718.jpg

Sorry for wondering off-topic here.... What was up with those horsecollar things back in the day? Did they serve an actual purpose? And why has nobody worn one since Bryan Cox was exiled from the league retired?

6uXNWAo.png

Archived