LA Times Poll: Lakers Are Only 3rd Favorite Team In LA

schtee

Thought it was interesting that an LA Times poll of its readers found that the Lakers only ranked third amongst favorite teams in the city, behind USC and the Angels. And the Lakers barely beat out the Galaxy for third, who in turn beat out the Dodgers. Weird results.

Also makes me curious as to how other members of this board think the rankings of favorite teams would look in other cities.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Minnesota it seems to go something like this I believe:

1.Twins

2. Wild

3. Gophers

4. Vikings

5. Timberwolves

I'd disagree there. The Twin Cities is definitely a Vikes' town.

1. Vikes

2. Twins

3. Wild

4. Gophers

5. Wolves

It's also a pro-town. The Gophers were 5th 5 years ago when the Wolves were not awful.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I love how people take their biases and think that most people feel that way. According to the membership here, hockey is more popular than basketball in every city. Riiiiiiiight.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Personally I hate hockey but living in 'sota and not having Garnett really hurts basketball's chances in the "State of Hockey". I think Jonny Flynn is a step in the right direction for the Wolves but, they really have a long way to go to earn the respect of the average fan in the Twin Cities Market.

I'd disagree there. The Twin Cities is definitely a Vikes' town.

1. Vikes

2. Twins

3. Wild

4. Gophers

5. Wolves

It's also a pro-town. The Gophers were 5th 5 years ago when the Wolves were not awful

I dont know, I feel that people always have their doubts about the Vikings. Even with Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre, people around here seemed pessimistic heading into the season. It seems that people are always behind the Twins and people seem to live and die with that team than the Vikings. The sentiments are usually that the Vikings are never truly good and will always find a way to lose and the Twins are a winner and are always on the cusp of a championship. I think it is a football town first and foremost, but Green Bay has such a large influence on our football fanbase where as the Brewers are not even considered in our market. Nearly every baseball fan in Minnesota is a Twins fan... Is every football fan in Minnesota a Vikings fan? And if they are our top team in our market... then why are they having a difficult time building a stadium and are one team in consideration for Los Angeles?

I love how people take their biases and think that most people feel that way. According to the membership here, hockey is more popular than basketball in every city. Riiiiiiiight.

It's a known fact that politics, white guilt, and Jay Z are the main reasons that hockey is the secondary tenant in practically every arena in America, even those arenas that have no basketball team to compete with the hockey team.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Two areas have been listed, one is the hockey loving state of Minnesota and the other is one man's opinion of NYC currently home to a piss poor basketball team.

The bias continues!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Thought it was interesting that an LA Times poll of its readers found that the Lakers only ranked third amongst favorite teams in the city, behind USC and the Angels. And the Lakers barely beat out the Galaxy for third, who in turn beat out the Dodgers. Weird results.

Also makes me curious as to how other members of this board think the rankings of favorite teams would look in other cities.

It was an online poll with only 13,000 voters, the day after the NBA Opening Night. There were six times that many people at their celebration at the Coliseum. I think it is more an indication of the lack of traffic on latimes.com than the team. They sell out Staples Center nightly. They are doing fine. If you take the poll in April or May, they results would differ

Two areas have been listed, one is the hockey loving state of Minnesota and the other is one man's opinion of NYC currently home to a piss poor basketball team.

The bias continues!

Oh c'mon, Creamer. You know exactly what the f*** I'm talking about. It's the general feelings of the puckheads here, not specifically these two posts. This place is hockey centric. Nothing wrong with that, but to think that people in every city or state like hockey more than basketball or baseball just because you do is simply ludicrous.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Here in Toronto, any result other than this would be inaccurate.

1. Leafs

2. Leafs

3. Leafs

1967. Blue Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC

1968. Leafs

1969. Leafs

416905. Argonauts

And let me clarify, these aren't Hockey fans, they're Leaf fans. Big difference.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Hm, Atlanta...let's see.

#1: UGA

#2: Any other SEC team

#3: GT

#4: Falcons

#5: The most popular team in the NFL

#6: Braves

#7: The most popular team in the MLB

#8: Hawks

#9: The most popular team in the NBA

#10: Thrashers

#11: The most popular team in the NHL

Seems about right. :P

The bias continues!

Oh c'mon, Creamer. You know exactly what the f*** I'm talking about. It's the general feelings of the puckheads here, not specifically these two posts. This place is hockey centric. Nothing wrong with that, but to think that people in every city or state like hockey more than basketball or baseball just because you do is simply ludicrous.

So there's nothing wrong with most of the members here liking hockey over basketball except when they state their preference of hockey over basketball?

You really are just starting to sound like a pro-basketball version of those evil, ignorant puckheads you always bash.

We get it, you like basketball, you don't care for hockey. There's nothing wrong with that, and I don't recall a single person ever saying you were in the wrong for your preference. So what exactly is your problem? You don't like the fact that most people here are hockey fans?

FTR I have not seen a single poster claim that hockey was more universally beloved then baseball or basketball.

EDIT- I also just scanned the first page of the Sports in General page. I see eight football threads, six NFL, one NCAA, and one UFL. I see two soccer threads, one MLS one for European football. Three basketball threads, two NBA threads, and another was started by a hockey fan asking for help getting more interested in basketball. Five MLB threads.

Only two hockey threads though. One about the NHL the other about an article in a hockey magazine.

So take that for what it's worth.

1. Steelers

2. Penguins

3a. Pitt basketball/football

3b. Pirates

There was an article in the Post-Gazette not too long ago about how the Penguins fanbase is considerably younger than the Steelers. It's always been wishful thinking on my part that the Penguins will one day be the predominant sports franchise in Pittsburgh (they never will be), but it's worth noting that the Stanley Cup parade drew more people downtown than the Lombardi Trophy parade, and the Stanley Cup parade was on a Monday morning.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Weirdly, I'm going to have to agree with Icecap here. Jiggs, ya know I have mad love for you... but you've been acting like a whiny bitch about this for much too long.

(Oh, and Icecap: the word you were looking for is "except", not "accept".)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

oh, and I think it goes without saying that almost no one in Pittsburgh gives a fart about the NBA, no matter how much Cleveland tries to get us to throw our support behind KING JAMES. but I'm saying it anyway.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I'd suspect the Gotham poll would look like this:

1. Yankees

2. Mets

3. Giants

4. Jets

5. Rangers

6. Islanders

7. Knicks, if you make me choose one.

8. What do you mean "8"? We don't have any other pro sports teams. :D

The Knicks would be 4th if they weren't a total joke...

It's probably all else being equal something like: Yanks, Mets, Giants, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Isles, Devils, Nets

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived