Florida Panthers New 3rd Jersey

fonz

How could anyone in that front office OK that shoulder logo. It's embarassing.

EDIT: WTF is with that number font??? The 2s look upside down. Even if they were flipped, it still looks stupid.

My god is this a mess.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah what is with that strange mutant 2. I think they were trying to make it look like they're throwbacks to a bygone era in which manufacturers hadn't totally figured out how to make a number 2 yet. Unfortunately for the Panthers, CCM and others all achieved orthographic mastery pretty early on, except for that year that all the 3s were stitched on backward. That was hockey's biggest scandal of 19E4.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah what is with that strange mutant 2. I think they were trying to make it look like they're throwbacks to a bygone era in which manufacturers hadn't totally figured out how to make a number 2 yet. Unfortunately for the Panthers, CCM and others all achieved orthographic mastery pretty early on, except for that year that all the 3s were stitched on backward. That was hockey's biggest scandal of 19E4.

It's exactly what they seem to be doing with every aspect of this jersey. Simplify the Panther head, tone down the gold to tan, steal the Penguins old color scheme, ridiculously simple secondary mark and oddly cut "vintage" numbers available only at some small shop in Sunrise that specializes in Little League jerseys. The "Sawgrass-style" 2, perhaps.

Look kids, this is really what the Panthers wore in 1955! Back before they changed their colors to red, yellow and navy. And they debuted them against the Penguins to rub it in that they had the color scheme first.

The new poster child of "fauxbacks."

Okay, I'm going to try to take this all in. There's the obvious Penguins rip-off, right. The whole idea is to make a look that's cleaner and simpler, yet the coloring of the front and shoulder crests is highly inconsistent. A primary logo which is less attractive than what the team normally wears. Standard varsity block lettering on the front crest, some sort of modified version with Nashville-style notches on the shoulder patches, and a third version for the numbers with intentionally incorrect cuts at random corners.

This thing makes whatever the Thrashers trotted out as an alt last year look like a model of consistency and solid design by comparison. Please, someone, move this team. Hamilton, Kansas City, Moline, I don't care. Just stop subjecting me to this.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Too bad the Flames ruined the Quad Cities as a hockey market, though I kinda get the impression that the economy has ruined the Quad Cities as an anything market. I'd be down for the Moline Panthers, totally.

Incidentally, Rock Island always sounded more like the name of a Ted Nugent concept album than an actual place.

I have this really odd feeling the Panthers are going to go with a Navy,Columbia Blue, White and Tan color scheme next year.

Thats the only reason I see the Penguins changing their alternate jersey from powder blue.

Maybe the Panthers were staking a claim to this color scheme before another team does, knowing the Penguins will be moving away from it.

It would be unique if the penguins didnt have it first. I wouldnt mind a change to this color scheme full time. Put the Red to bed, its become a joke of its former self for the cat's. Columbia Blue and Sportgold would be the Shizzzz.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Okay, I'm going to try to take this all in. There's the obvious Penguins rip-off, right. The whole idea is to make a look that's cleaner and simpler, yet the coloring of the front and shoulder crests is highly inconsistent. A primary logo which is less attractive than what the team normally wears. Standard varsity block lettering on the front crest, some sort of modified version with Nashville-style notches on the shoulder patches, and a third version for the numbers with intentionally incorrect cuts at random corners.

This thing makes whatever the Thrashers trotted out as an alt last year look like a model of consistency and solid design by comparison. Please, someone, move this team. Hamilton, Kansas City, Moline, I don't care. Just stop subjecting me to this.

The block font on the crest has the same notches as the FLA logo. Same font.

Not to defend them or anything.

Maybe the Panthers were staking a claim to this color scheme before another team does
2iuj43.gif

In a related story, the Panthers yell "SHOTGUN!" when they get out of a car.

It only takes 5 minutes in Gimp to make this into one of the better jerseys in the league, in my opinion. I would add the palm tree/hockey stick logo on the shoulders too.

cats.png

that looks alot better. it just looks more like the florida panthers. the alternate they trotted no way makes me think florida panthers. if they put the regular leaping panther on the front and the palm tree logo on the shoulders, this would be one of the nicer sets in the league.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Incidentally, Rock Island always sounded more like the name of a Ted Nugent concept album than an actual place.

In an odd bit of coincidence, I believe Ted Nugent did release an album titled "Bettendorf".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It only takes 5 minutes in Gimp to make this into one of the better jerseys in the league, in my opinion. I would add the palm tree/hockey stick logo on the shoulders too.

cats.png

Unfortunately that makes too much sense to work. :P

Seriously, why couldn't they do something like this? It's a new uniform with a snazzy new logo, yet it sort of throws back to the team's unis from when they first started. It's crazy how much better that uniform would look with a color change and the omission of that shoulder patch.

I just realized something: what about the goaltenders, whose equipment probably incorporates the Panthers' actual colors? Isn't all that red and gold going to stand out with uniforms that don't have any red and gold?

I have this really odd feeling the Panthers are going to go with a Navy,Columbia Blue, White and Tan color scheme next year.

Thats the only reason I see the Penguins changing their alternate jersey from powder blue.

Maybe the Panthers were staking a claim to this color scheme before another team does, knowing the Penguins will be moving away from it.

It would be unique if the penguins didnt have it first. I wouldnt mind a change to this color scheme full time. Put the Red to bed, its become a joke of its former self for the cat's. Columbia Blue and Sportgold would be the Shizzzz.

Actually the Atlanta Thrashers were using two-tone blue and gold before the Panthers and it is a big part of their brand identity (Blueland). The fact that they are divisional rivals makes this jersey seem even more unneccesary. I really hope that they are not planning on ditching the red, navy, and yellow. It's a unique combination and the warm colours make sense for a team in South Florida. Like most of the people on this board, I think that it is a nice jersey, just not for the Panthers.

Archived