NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

here are the best pics i could find of finley this week

09000d5d814ed1a3.jpg

That looks like his mom ran into Wal-Mart on the way to the stadium and bought him a jersey off the kids replica rack to wear in the game. Seriously, reminds me of these...

200811719281622671.jpg

Wait, I take it back. The kids replica looks better. :wacko:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't get a good screengrab, but for anyone who's watching this MNF tilt, check Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie's legwear. Usually, we get on players for either wearing solid color socks showing no white or for wearing long whites with no (team)color. Not this cat...he done came out wearing long blacks.

How is is that the NFL can fine Chad Johnson for wearing the wrong color chinstrap--multiple times at that--and then they continuously let shizz like this ride on the regular? Do teams still have those big-ass "this is how you're supposed to wear the uniform" posters hanging up in their locker rooms?

(And is it me or has anyone else noticed an odd trend of hyphenated surnames pop up in the NFL lately? Here you have Rodgers-Comartie and La'Rod Stephens-Howling...then there's Maurice Jones-Drew, Mike Sims-Walker, Darius Heyward-Bey. And then the ultimate...there's a cat up in New England with two first names along with two last names...BenJarvus Green-Ellis.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How is is that the NFL can fine Chad Johnson for wearing the wrong color chinstrap--multiple times at that--and then they continuously let shizz like this ride on the regular? Do teams still have those big-ass "this is how you're supposed to wear the uniform" posters hanging up in their locker rooms?

Do you know that they're not fining these guys? Could it just be that it just happens to get more attention when it's Chad Ochocinco?

(Andis it me or has anyone else noticed an odd trend of hyphenated surnamespop up in the NFL lately? Here you have Rodgers-Comartie and La'RodStephens-Howling...then there's Maurice Jones-Drew, Mike Sims-Walker,Darius Heyward-Bey. And then the ultimate...there's a cat up in NewEngland with two first names along with two last names...BenJarvusGreen-Ellis.)

I think it's just the NFL as a microcosm of American society. There amount of hyphenated names is rising all the time in our country, for various reasons. Single mothers who get married and hyphenate their man's name to their child's, more women are not changing their last names, and giving their children hyphenated names, children of single mothers who grow up decide to "honor" their dad by adding his name to theirs, etc. There's just less of a stigma about it now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I took a tour of Lincoln Financial Field in September and I saw the poster right by the entrance to to the lockerroom as we walked in. I can't speak for all teams but if it's up in there I'm guessing it would be across the league.

I'm not a keen enough observer to have noticed the difference on Addai's jersey without it being pointed out, but I'm surprised Finley gets away with the smaller shoulder numbers. As mentioned above, the league is hyper sensitive that everyone look the same...except a fundamental part of the jersey I guess.

I can't get a good screengrab, but for anyone who's watching this MNF tilt, check Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie's legwear. Usually, we get on players for either wearing solid color socks showing no white or for wearing long whites with no (team)color. Not this cat...he done came out wearing long blacks.

(And is it me or has anyone else noticed an odd trend of hyphenated surnames pop up in the NFL lately? Here you have Rodgers-Comartie and La'Rod Stephens-Howling...then there's Maurice Jones-Drew, Mike Sims-Walker, Darius Heyward-Bey. And then the ultimate...there's a cat up in New England with two first names along with two last names...BenJarvus Green-Ellis.)

Are you trying to bring back "cat"?

Some of those guys make enough money where the uniform violation fine is a drop in the bucket. They don't mind wearing it if it means they can look they way they want to look.

it seems as if rolle is wearing nike socks

0396c7b080024c1481e25deef8371ac3-getty-.jpg

They are more likely tights. Notice the seam up the inside of the leg.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

And now that I really think about this, it seems to me that as these jerseys become tighter and more 'sleeveless,' it's actually making it easier for people to grab onto. Picture this: I'm a defensive lineman wearing a today's standard football jersey with these big ass armholes. The offensive lineman is going to hook me right in those arm holes, right around the chest portion of the shoulder pads, no? Now, I'm a lineman in the 1960s, wearing a still very tight jersey but with long, tight, elbow-length or even full length sleeves, like this dude:

jimbrown.jpg

There's no arm holes to hook here, and when you consider the size of today's shoulder pads coupled with the technologically advanced fabrics that can stretch even tighter than this, it seems this is a better option from a function standpoint. There's no way you could hook the shoulder pads through a tightly stretched shirt like this, whereas it seems like it would be very easy to hook the arm holes of today's popular jersey cut. I see players having to pop their shoulder pads back into their sleeves nearly every play. The #1 reason players seem to like the sleeveless look is that it eliminates extra material for others to grab onto, but it seems like it does the opposite by giving others a legitimate structural element to grab onto.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

And now that I really think about this, it seems to me that as these jerseys become tighter and more 'sleeveless,' it's actually making it easier for people to grab onto. Picture this: I'm a defensive lineman wearing a today's standard football jersey with these big ass armholes. The offensive lineman is going to hook me right in those arm holes, right around the chest portion of the shoulder pads, no? Now, I'm a lineman in the 1960s, wearing a still very tight jersey but with long, tight, elbow-length or even full length sleeves, like this dude:

jimbrown.jpg

There's no arm holes to hook here, and when you consider the size of today's shoulder pads coupled with the technologically advanced fabrics that can stretch even tighter than this, it seems this is a better option from a function standpoint. There's no way you could hook the shoulder pads through a tightly stretched shirt like this, whereas it seems like it would be very easy to hook the arm holes of today's popular jersey cut. I see players having to pop their shoulder pads back into their sleeves nearly every play. The #1 reason players seem to like the sleeveless look is that it eliminates extra material for others to grab onto, but it seems like it does the opposite by giving others a legitimate structural element to grab onto.

Yeah, we've been over this a number of times here. It's my opinion, along with a few others (wanna jump in, Gothamite?) that the extra tight sleeveless jersey has less to do with function (although its a believable excuse), and more to do with today's players saying, "hey, check out my awesome guns as I do my new endzone dance"! Vanity, not performance.

It's hogwash. I'm down with returning to sleeves as long as they are tight to the arms. I dislike the large, billowy sleeves of the 1980s.

To me, a tight jersey stretched over both big shoulder pads, and un-padded arms would just look weird. I'd be OK with the separate-tight undersleeve that has designs or strips on it (like the Pro Combat), but I think that as long as the uniforms are going to be tight, they should just cover the pads.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not this cat...he done came out wearing long blacks.

It's been back for a while I guess. I've heard 'cat' used by serveral of my friends who live in different parts of the country. It's only been in the last year or two though.

The tiniest of all shoulder loops:

93613924.jpg

And they really need to find a better spot to stick that NFL equipment patch...that placaement is butt-nasty.

I was going to say it looks like the shield is just kind of melting off the jersey, but your way of describing it is far better, Bucco.

To me, a tight jersey stretched over both big shoulder pads, and un-padded arms would just look weird. I'd be OK with the separate-tight undersleeve that has designs or strips on it (like the Pro Combat), but I think that as long as the uniforms are going to be tight, they should just cover the pads.

If you ask me, it doesn't look weird in the Jim Brown picture above, and judging by the warped stripes and TV numbers, this jersey is stretched as tight or more than most of today's jerseys. I think the striped undersleeves concept, however, would look pretty strange, though I do think it would be cool to have a compression baselayer with sleeve stripes.

If you ask me, it doesn't look weird in the Jim Brown picture above, and judging by the warped stripes and TV numbers, this jersey is stretched as tight or more than most of today's jerseys. I think the striped undersleeves concept, however, would look pretty strange, though I do think it would be cool to have a compression baselayer with sleeve stripes.

Last year sometime I had a topic that addressed that idea: sleeve stripes on the undershirts.

Sleeves And the Modern Football Uniform

Later in the thread there was even a marketing plan for how the NFL could sell the jerseys.

I don't see why that Jim Brown jersey style wouldn't be feasible, especially with today's lower-profile pads. Sadly, I think it may be a vanity thing like oldschoolvikings said.

Last year sometime I had a topic that addressed that idea: sleeve stripes on the undershirts.

Sleeves And the Modern Football Uniform

Later in the thread there was even a marketing plan for how the NFL could sell the jerseys.

I don't see why that Jim Brown jersey style wouldn't be feasible, especially with today's lower-profile pads. Sadly, I think it may be a vanity thing like oldschoolvikings said.

If there is a sport where long sleeves would make a lot of sense it would be football. Afterall, the majority of its games are played in the late fall/winter. Not to mention the fact that players basically wear long sleeve undershirts beneath their uniforms. You would think that at some point in time they will just mesh the two together and make it all one item.

Archived