Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Southern Conference is looking at VMI

http://www.timesdisp...6d4fcaffa4.html

Its time to bring back the rivalry between The Citadel.

campus visits to ETSU and Mercer later this month too.

Why not take all 3? The SoCon is loseing schools left and right(app st, ga southern., c of c and Davidson)

I think they will most likely take 2 or all 3. If they take all 3 it will put the SoCon at 11 so that probably means 1 more invite, or 1 more departure. If they take 2 they are at a good 10 team conference. I could picture them taking all 3 and UNCG leaves the conference (then you have a full 10 football team league). Alternatively, a team like Elon could be looking to ship out to the CAA.

If they all stay and are at 11 I think CCU is probably the next candidate in line.

I'm thinking UNCA. The SoCon men's bball tourney is here and they have instant rivals in Western Carolina & ETSU(if taken)

Southern Conference is looking at VMI

http://www.timesdisp...6d4fcaffa4.html

Its time to bring back the rivalry between The Citadel.

campus visits to ETSU and Mercer later this month too.

Why not take all 3? The SoCon is loseing schools left and right(app st, ga southern., c of c and Davidson)

I think they will most likely take 2 or all 3. If they take all 3 it will put the SoCon at 11 so that probably means 1 more invite, or 1 more departure. If they take 2 they are at a good 10 team conference. I could picture them taking all 3 and UNCG leaves the conference (then you have a full 10 football team league). Alternatively, a team like Elon could be looking to ship out to the CAA.

If they all stay and are at 11 I think CCU is probably the next candidate in line.

I'm thinking UNCA. The SoCon men's bball tourney is here and they have instant rivals in Western Carolina & ETSU(if taken)

I like UNCA but I find it odd for them to take another non-football school. UNCG has no pull left, I am assuming, as a non-football school. It would make sense that the SoCon would want more football schools. Of course, it could be that 10 football schools is perfect (9 conference games) and they may look for another non-football school. If that is the case I think UNCA makes sense, but it might be hard to pass up a florida school, because Florida is such a strong market.

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess ETSU, mercer, UNCA and VMI are all SoCon bound for sure right? I'm suprised UNCG did not get a invite(a-10 or CAA), unless not haveing football is the reason why not, cause Greensboro is a good market for basketball

So I guess ETSU, mercer, UNCA and VMI are all SoCon bound for sure right? I'm suprised UNCG did not get a invite(a-10 or CAA), unless not haveing football is the reason why not, cause Greensboro is a good market for basketball

You're almost right,because UNCA wasn't invited! ;)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9326201/vmi-keydets-east-tennessee-state-buccaneers-mercer-bears-join-southern-conference

You're almost right,because UNCA wasn't invited! ;)

http://espn.go.com/c...hern-conference

damn i was hoping they go for 12 members again, well the fall might tell more(maybe UNCA and FGCU??) but mercer is to keep samford happy and ETSU to keep WCU happy, but something interesting i read in that was ETSU is bringing back football!!!

EVERYBODY NUKE THAT B1G PARTIAL MEMBERSHIP TRAIN OF THOUGHT

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

EVERYBODY NUKE THAT B1G PARTIAL MEMBERSHIP TRAIN OF THOUGHT

Inside Lacrosse@Inside_Lacrosse 48s

Sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse's @TerenceFoy Johns Hopkins M+W Lacrosse to announce joining Big Ten Monday: http://insidelacross...monday …

Do what now? I thought we already had Baltimore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 month later...

In the past week, the commissioners of the Power 5 have essentially set their case for the end of Division 1 as we know it.

First up, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive who last week was still angry that the $2,000 stipend for athletes (for full cost of attendance) has yet to be put in place.

Next was ACC Commissioner John Swofford, who said that change had to part of the next NCAA convention in January 2014.

Then on Monday, Big XII Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said that the five commissioners met six weeks ago to talk about their issues, so we know that the each divided up what to say.

Today, B1G Commissioner Jim Delaney publicly aired their list of demands.

Pac-12's Larry Scott is to speak officially on Friday to complete the comments from the five commissioners.

EDIT: Now, The American really wants to join the new club.

I feel strongly they will split away. I wonder if they will change how they do things financially. I wonder if they would be more prone to work together. I also wonder who would stay and who would go. I can't imagine a conference would drop someone. I also couldn't imagine someone would want to stay in the current division. All just guesses, though.

I think a lot of us saw this coming. You can't be good without being crooked, it seems. Well, enough of the crooked are finally getting together and saying, "see ya!".

I feel strongly they will split away. I wonder if they will change how they do things financially. I wonder if they would be more prone to work together. I also wonder who would stay and who would go. I can't imagine a conference would drop someone. I also couldn't imagine someone would want to stay in the current division. All just guesses, though.

In October 2011, when the Division 1 membership was voting to override the implementation of NCAA 2011-96 (aka the stipend for full cost of attendance), 109 Division 1 schools voted to override the approved policy.

There was one school currently in the Power 5 who voted to override: Wake Forest*

The stipend has yet to be implemented.

In the same voting period, there was one school (out of 48) who did not want multi-year scholarships, under NCAA 2011-97: Utah*

*-Rutgers also voted to override both, but they do not become a member of B1G until 2014.

EDIT: Now, The American really wants to join the new club.

You named your Conference after Bill the Cat. There is no place for you.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The slimeball commissioners of the "Big Five" are pretty much the last people who should be proposing change in the NCAA, since they're the ones running the cartel that brought college sports into this mess.

Upset that Boise State lack of professional degrees don't get you to the Power 5 table?

Keep in mind that Boise State voted to override both NCAA 2011-96 and 2011-97.

I guess they voted against the stipend (2011-96) since their tennis and track programs had more efficient policies/procedures.

The slimeball commissioners of the "Big Five" are pretty much the last people who should be proposing change in the NCAA, since they're the ones running the cartel that brought college sports into this mess.

Upset that Boise State lack of professional degrees don't get you to the Power 5 table?

OK, how does a lack of professional degrees correlate to the fact that Boise State isn't in a 'Power 5' conference? I think you're making up :censored: to piss off Lights Out.

OK, how does a lack of professional degrees correlate to the fact that Boise State isn't in a 'Power 5' conference? I think you're making up :censored: to piss off Lights Out.

Well, the 'Power 5' conferences have included academic prowess (albeit, it hasn't been the main reason) in expansion.

Think about it.....the Big XII didn't want Boise State when the conference was in dire trouble of staying afloat. What does that say about Boise State in terms of academics and financial worth?

I think you're making up :censored: to piss off Lights Out.

Pretty much. What I said has zero to do with any team loyalty and everything to do with the fact that the "Big 5" already have a system that favors them, the vast majority of the money, and now they're basically throwing a temper tantrum by threatening to split from the NCAA because they're not getting their way 100% of the time.

The NCAA is a joke, but the Big 5 stomping off and leaving the rest of college athletics holding the bag is not the solution. I'm sure Hedley will have some snippy reply now because he's obsessed, but facts are facts.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Here we go again with academics in this. I love the mental picture of some potbellied whitebread dullard from Columbus, a guy whose idea of sophistication is to wear the Ohio State sweatshirt without the mayonnaise stain on the front, saying "oh, my. Boise State? Oh, boy, I don't know if they have the academic standards to play us."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫