Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

13 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

8 is the minimum for an FBS conference. NMSU might be a lock given their proximity to UTEP and current FBS status. UCONN and UMass are probably additions of last resort, but I'm not sure how many schools are looking to move up and can. I've thought the Montana schools could and maybe Idaho wants to bounce back up. I don't think the Dakota schools would. Sam Houston is probably a good choice. Beyond that...Central Ark? MO St? Tenn St? Jacksonville St?

UCA would have to do major construction to get their stadium up to FBS standards, including possibly demolishing surrounding buildings. Sam Houston would have to up grade to be FBS compliant as well. Missouri State, Jacksonville State, and Eastern Kentucky have large enough stadiums, but I don't know if any of these schools have the budget or the appetite to add scholarships along with jumping into the facilities arms race.

29 minutes ago, rams80 said:

The Montanas had an offer from the WAC a decade ago and noped out of it, can't think things have changed that much.

It was only Montana that had the invite, but state politics would have made sure that MSU had gone with them. But, as I  understood it at the time, Montana was not interested in the WAC because they saw the writing on the wall for the conference and didn't want to leave the Big Sky to end up in a dissolving WAC. Now, I think both schools would take a shot with the Mountain West or C-USA. Assuming C-USA gets western teams like Idaho and New Mexico State.

It can’t be overstated how huge of a deal this is for Marshall. The Sun Belt has way better geography, pretty much all of their historic rivals from the FCS days, and is quickly becoming one of the top G5 (soon to be G4) conferences. Basically the only thing that would make it better is if WKU was also tagging along.

That’s got to be it for C-USA. They’re down to just 5 members spread all across the country, and their previous top target Liberty is no longer interested. At this point it’s a matter of where the others end up. Right now I’d guess UTEP goes to the WAC, but I have no idea where everyone else will - maybe A-Sun?

ExJworW.png

Predicting what happens with CUSA seems damn near impossible so let's throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

CUSA-ASUN merger? It would accelerate the ASUN's plan but save the CUSA remaining schools that haven't gone independent or to the WAC/MAC

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

1 minute ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I think C-USA can be saved. There are a number of FCS teams that want to move up, and this could be there chance. 

Which ones, though? If a school like Liberty says no to C-USA, what makes an newcomer want to jump into that rotting husk?

I think they may have to throw out football only invites to UConn, UMass and New Mexico State to stay afloat (You need eight schools to stay at the FBS level)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

They need to find someone or someones in the Alabama/Georgia/Florida area. Miami to Murfreesboro for your closest conference foe is ... yikes.

They should get some HBCUs. The HBCUs will finally be on the map without hiring a former NFL player as a head coach, they get the funding they need and the CUSA stays alive. Not to mention the amount of elite African American talent they would attract now that they are playing on an FBS level. And not to mention... THE BANDS.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

They should get some HBCUs. The HBCUs will finally be on the map without hiring a former NFL player as a head coach, they get the funding they need and the CUSA stays alive. Not to mention the amount of elite African American talent they would attract now that they are playing on an FBS level. And not to mention... THE BANDS.

The only time an HBCU went to the FBS level was in the early 2000's by Florida A&M, who then retreated back to the MEAC.

No way in hell does any of them try that.

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

I've seen Sam Houston's name thrown out there in a couple of different tweets as a CUSA target. I wouldn't put it past them at all to jump ship out of the WAC before they even got really going and leave the other Texas schools that followed them to the WAC. SHSU has always seems to have a complex that they were better than the rest of the teams in the Southland and they're still pretty much surrounded by SLC teams right now still.

Tarleton State is a team just now transitioning to DI, CUSA trying to pull a team merely 6 months into a move up from DII is pretty comical. I saw another tweet that mentioned McNeese St as another potential FCS recruit which, again, is comical to me. There isn't an FCS school in Louisiana that is financially equipped to make the move to FBS.

gYH2mW9.png

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I think they may have to throw out football only invites to UConn, UMass and New Mexico State to stay afloat (You need eight schools to stay at the FBS level)

NMSU would INSIST on being a full member; they've done the separate leagues in football and Olympic Sports dance and it didn't end well for them.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, GeauxColonels said:

Tarleton State is a team just now transitioning to DI, CUSA trying to pull a team merely 6 months into a move up from DII is pretty comical. I saw another tweet that mentioned McNeese St as another potential FCS recruit which, again, is comical to me. There isn't an FCS school in Louisiana that is financially equipped to make the move to FBS.

Tarleton's already good enough to beat an FBS team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Which ones, though? If a school like Liberty says no to C-USA, what makes an newcomer want to jump into that rotting husk?

Adding three only saves C-USA if the rumors of MTSU and WKU going to the MAC aren't true. Otherwise, they'll need FCS schools.

As far as who they can get? Eastern Kentucky tried to join the Sun Belt a while back, so there appears to be an appetite for moving up and they have a large enough stadium. Not sure how nice it is, but it can't be much worse than what ULM is working with right now. Beyond that, I guess you have to look towards the ASUN and Texas WAC schools for the most part.

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

NMSU would INSIST on being a full member; they've done the separate leagues in football and Olympic Sports dance and it didn't end well for them.

They tried to get in for all sports with the Sun Belt but there wasn't any interest from the conference. Non-football membership may not be a thing for C-USA if things are as cataclysmic as they seem, so NMSU might not have the ability to argue for full membership vs. football only.

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

Tarleton's already good enough to beat an FBS team.

But do they have the money to add even more scholarships and build up facilities? I know very little about this school. I don't even know how to pronounce Tarleton.

10 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

That would be great. Problem is how many HBCU athletic departments can afford 85 scholarships, facilities renovations, increased travel budgets, etc. NC A&T and Jackson State most likely could swing it but who else?

Maybe FAMU could but Bragg hasn't been renovated in 40 years and needs a lot of love. FAMU would likely need to have Bethune-Cookman come up to so they could keep the rivalry alive. 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

But do they have the money to add even more scholarships and build up facilities? I know very little about this school. I don't even know how to pronounce Tarleton.

That's exactly my point regarding Tarleton. Going from DII to FBS in less than 3 years seems like an awfully big task, financially speaking.

gYH2mW9.png