Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

Grand Valley even in FCS would be a mistake IMO.  Competing with Wayne State or Michigan Tech and the like for recruits is one thing. But to continue that same level of success in FCS means digging from the same talent pool as Michigan, Michigan State, and the MAC schools.

FCS doesn't pull from the same pool as FBS. They'd need to compete for that talent as much as they do now.

The American taking Mountain West schools always seemed like a longshot just because the geography gets really wild in a hurry. It's one thing if you're  talking about Big XII money to make the difference, but a whole other issue when it's AAC money.

2 hours ago, Burmy said:

And it appears Air Force and Colorado State are staying in the Mountain West after all:

God I love realignment. I've missed the crazy crap like this.

So where does the AAC go now?

This kills the Army to AAC talk (which was just online chatter and not gonna happen). UAB seemed a lock so I think they're still in it. 

I know the Sun Belt is being aggressive and supposedly one of the schools they're looking at could be holding out for the AAC. Could that be JMU?

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

20 minutes ago, Geoff said:

This kills the Army to AAC talk (which was just online chatter and not gonna happen). UAB seemed a lock so I think they're still in it. 

I know the Sun Belt is being aggressive and supposedly one of the schools they're looking at could be holding out for the AAC. Could that be JMU?

I kind of feel like the AAC could easily die, especially if Memphis and either SMU, Tulane or Tulsa jump to the Big XII. I feel like that could cause a merger with Conference USA with the remaining schools or the AAC could kill Conference USA by raiding them for schools?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

FCS doesn't pull from the same pool as FBS. They'd need to compete for that talent as much as they do now.

Maybe not in general, but how much talent do you think there to go around in a mid sized state like Michigan which already has 5 D1 programs, and sits on top of Ohio, which has even more? 

The room for North Dakota State to make such a jump was there because even though it's in a small state, there are no power conference programs from Western Minnesota on through Eastern Washington/Oregon, and you still have to go to Montana to find a program capable of competing on NDSU's level. That doesn't exist in Grand Valley's case. Trading being the Clemson/Alabama of Division 2 for being just another FCS program doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

11 hours ago, heavybass said:

I'm gonna say Boise State stays for now but they are waiting for the Big 12 to extend an invitation before they jump.

So you're going to predict what has already happened will happen? You can't predict that Boise State will stay when they've already stayed.

• Like 2

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

23 hours ago, Geoff said:

With the Mountain West schools out of the picture, I think the top targets will be UAB, Appalachian State, FAU, and either Rice or UTSA. C-USA is about to be unrecognizable, if they even survive this at all - I remember seeing reports that Marshall and Southern Miss to the Sun Belt is gaining steam.

ExJworW.png

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Burmy said:

Apparently the Mountain West is already discussing expansion with interested schools (though which schools were not specified, and I have no idea who'd be in position to jump over there).

The only expansion I see happening would be poaching UTEP, UTSA and North Texas from CUSA and maybe Tulsa or SMU from the AAC? Where else could they go? 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

The only expansion I see happening would be poaching UTEP, UTSA and North Texas from CUSA and maybe Tulsa or SMU from the AAC? Where else could they go? 

The Big Sky has several schools that would fit perfectly in the MTN West. Id say Montanta and Montana State have the best shot. Maybe even Weber State, Portland State, Sacramento State. I could see North Dakota and North Dakota State from the Missouri Valley Football Conference/Summit League

Signature intentionally left blank

5 hours ago, Dilbert said:

The Big Sky has several schools that would fit perfectly in the MTN West. Id say Montanta and Montana State have the best shot. Maybe even Weber State, Portland State, Sacramento State. I could see North Dakota and North Dakota State from the Missouri Valley Football Conference/Summit League

If they expand by two, I can see Montana and Montana State moving up. 

If by four, Idaho and (maybe) Weber. 

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

If they expand by two, I can see Montana and Montana State moving up. 

If by four, Idaho and (maybe) Weber. 

Does Idaho want to jump back up to FBS after just dropping down a few years ago?

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Does Idaho want to jump back up to FBS after just dropping down a few years ago?

From what I can tell, yes. They have a new basketball arena, and plan on upgrading football in the near future. They didn't want to move down, they were forced to. And it's my impression they want to get back up.

• Like 1