NAHL Dawson Creek Rage

mfoster

dawson_creek_web_button_2.jpg

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=1248

NAHL welcomes Dawson Creek for 2010-11

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced that its Board of Governors has accepted the membership application of the Dawson Creek (British Columbia) Rage.

The team will begin play in the 2010-11 season and play its home games at the 5,000-seat EnCana Events Centre.

?Given the community?s passion and the ownership group?s commitment to building a successful organization, both on and off the ice, we're confident Dawson Creek will instantly be one of the premier junior hockey markets in all of North America,? said NAHL commissioner Mark Frankenfeld. ?The ownership?s blueprint will unquestionably add to our rich tradition of developing student-athletes for college and professional hockey and, with the consent of USA Hockey and Hockey Canada, we?re excited to have them part of our league."

?After three years plus, I?m excited to say we finally made it,? said Pat Rorison, co-founder of the group that helped establish the team. "Many people have worked hard to bring a team to Dawson Creek and are excited about bringing Junior A hockey back to our community.?

With a population of 60,000 in the area, Dawson Creek is located on the border of British Columbia and Alberta - 368 miles northwest of Edmonton and 782 miles northeast of Vancouver. The Rage will compete in the NAHL?s West Division.

?This is very positive news and shows how the community can work together for over three years to make this team a reality,? said Mike Bernier, Mayor of Dawson Creek. ?It?s truly a fantastic partnership.

?Not only will we see an anchor tenant in the EnCana Events Centre, this hockey team will help create an excitement and identity in our community. It will also provide opportunities for young hockey players throughout the Peace Region to someday dream about wearing a DC Rage sweater and playing hockey at a higher level."

The Rage is the second NAHL team to be based out of Canada in the league?s 34-year history; the Fernie (British Columbia) Ghostriders were members of the league in 2003-04.

"Having a main tenant in the EnCana Events Centre will bring many positive benefits to the facility and community,? said Ryan MacIvor, general manager of the EnCana Events Centre. ?Having another 31 events at the Centre will balance out our already aggressive events schedule. This is great news for the community and the region.?

For more information on the Rage (a.k.a. DC RAGE), visit the team?s temporary Web site at DCRage.com.

The North American Hockey League, the only USA Hockey-sanctioned Tier II Junior A league boasting 19 teams from across the country, prides itself on the social maturity and skill development of student-athletes ages 16-20 with aspirations of advancing to collegiate and/or professional hockey.

Oh, Pacey, you've done it again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And to add to the new teams for the NAHL for next season, here is the Fresno entry (well conditional approval actually). I give you the Fresno Monsters:

fresno_monsters_button_6.jpg

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced that the league?s Board of Governors has voted to grant conditional approval for an expansion membership to Fresno Ice, LLC.

The club, which will be named the Fresno Monsters, will begin play in the 2010-11 season and play its home games at the 7,600-seat Selland Arena in Fresno, Calif. The facility has undergone over $8 million in renovations over the past two years.

?We couldn?t be happier to welcome Fresno as the first California member in our league?s storied 34-year history,? said NAHL commissioner Mark Frankenfeld. ?California is an up-and-coming region that continues to develop top-end hockey players and we?re confident the Monsters? success will open more doors as it relates to prospective memberships in the area.?

The Monsters are currently in their first year of operations in the Tier III Junior A Western State Hockey League (WSHL). The organization will continue to operate a team in the WSHL next season.

After 31 games in the WSHL this year, the Monsters hold the league?s best record at 28-2-0-1. They?re also averaging a league-high 2,833 a game in attendance.

"We?re excited to be a part of the NAHL and what the league represents for its players,? said Monsters head coach and general manager Eric Ballard. ?The professionalism and approach the NAHL champions is exactly what the Fresno Monsters organization wants for its players, its city and its staff.?

The membership is conditioned upon on the prospective ownership presenting league-required documents to the NAHL office in order to complete the expansion application process. The club may begin operations once all necessary documents are received in an acceptable form.

The North American Hockey League, the only USA Hockey-sanctioned Tier II Junior A league boasting 19 teams from across the country, prides itself on the social maturity and skill development of student-athletes ages 16-20 with aspirations of advancing to collegiate and/or professional hockey.

The most shocking thing about this is that 60,000 people live 368 miles northwest of Edmonton and 782 miles northeast of Vancouver. That's pretty out of the way; maybe they just got ClarisWorks 4.0 like a month ago or something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Waaaaay too much tape on that monster's stick. The puck will slide under the blade. Not that this thing will ever need a stick, mind you, with those hairy fly-legs emerging from its wrists being all scary and everything, but this disrespect for important equipment details does drive me nuts at times.

And to add to the new teams for the NAHL for next season, here is the Fresno entry (well conditional approval actually). I give you the Fresno Monsters:

fresno_monsters_button_6.jpg

So I realize this is a terrible introduction to the boards here...but the Fresno Monster's logo looks suspiciously like one of these guys (the big blue guy, not the little green guy):

MM35_PG229.jpg

From the claws to the face to the skin the monster in the Fresno logo appears to be a Slaad which is a fictional race of monsters from Dungeons and Dragons (and yes...I *am* that big of a geek). While I haven't come across the exact image, the quality of the logo suggests that it may have been "adapted" from an illustration.

I'll let you guys know if I turn up anything.

Looks like the team is aware of it now...

http://www.americanjuniorhockey.com/2009/12/logogate-ii-fresno-monsters.html

In a telephone conversation from Las Vegas, Monsters GM/Co-coach Eric Ballard said, "We have been made aware of the issue, and have consulted with our attorney. A professional artist was used to create the logo, and it has been properly copyrighted. It is our position that logo was altered enough for us to continue use of it without facing legal issue."

Nothing like cutting the issue off at the pass. Case closed.

Archived