NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we at least agree that the Kings using a system font for their nameplates is a silly move?

edit: Andale Mono. Just remembered the name of it.

Absoultely. The back of that jersey is the Blue Jays of hockey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The back of the Kings jersey completely eliminates any good that the front does. Paying for a proprietary number font then going with a 1500-point Andale Mono nameplate is just dumb.

The nameplate is also just too big. Take it down to about 80% of what it is now, and it'd look much better; it would still suck, but it wouldn't suck on ice.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The back of the Kings jersey completely eliminates any good that the front does. Paying for a proprietary number font then going with a 1500-point Andale Mono ITC Officina Sans Bold nameplate is just dumb.

The nameplate is also just too big. Take it down to about 80% of what it is now, and it'd look much better; it would still suck, but it wouldn't suck on ice.

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/itc-officina-sans/

Still dumb, though.

I hate the wordmark at the bottom of the Kings jerseys. I hate the cutesy font. The nameplate font is fine for me. I did prefer the sheild on the white jersey because it has more color to it and the crown on the purple and black jersey because that's where stands out against the background more.

FWIW I'd be thrilled if the Kings went with either of these two options:

Maybe its part nostalgia / my goal to have one quality jerseys from every team in 1987 but I really love these:

Kings13.png

However I wouldn't complain if they stayed modern, scrapped the word mark on the front bottom hem and did something with the name & number font.

Kings32.png

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Maybe its part nostalgia / my goal to have one quality jerseys from every team in 1987 but I really love these:

Kings13.png

I actually prefer this set to the throwbacks they're wearing this season, which are a touch too simple for my taste. But I understand that, as far as the nostalgia factor goes, "way back when this team had just started" trumps "the stretch pre-Gretzky when, if we were lucky, someone else in the Smythe would poop the bed and we'd sneak into 4th" each and every time.

Also, something weird I just noticed: The pants from the Kings' '70s set look like they would match with the jerseys from the '80s set, and vice versa. When one had a thick, single-color stripe, the other would have an outlined triple stripe. Odd.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I actually prefer this set to the throwbacks they're wearing this season, which are a touch too simple for my taste. But I understand that, as far as the nostalgia factor goes, "way back when this team had just started" trumps "the stretch pre-Gretzky when, if we were lucky, someone else in the Smythe Winnipeg or Vancouver would poop the bed and we'd sneak into 4th" each and every time.

Look, just say it out loud, okay?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I was trying to be delicate.

FWIW I'd be thrilled if the Kings went with either of these two options:

Kings13.png

Nostalgia or not, those uniforms were great and could easily be modified (see Buffalo Sabres), in such a way that they could look good with the modern template.

Those jerseys still had the wordmark on the hem.

Kings29.png

I guess I'm in the minority, but I loved those jersey. They were unique. The jersey pattern was very simple and traditional, but combined with the wordmark on the hem, the colours, and the number font they looked modern. Everyone is hating on the font but I honestly love it. Yes, they're fairly obtuse but they have a sort of medieval look that I like, and I think fits the Kings well. I would love for the kings to bring back a purple jersey full time. That colour has been neglected far too much in hockey.

If the Kings used their current purple, and added a Vegas gold, they'd have a much better looking 3rd than the pencil-tip they have now.

Oh, hell NO!!! Vegas gold is freaking horrible and over-used! If you wanted to go a darker gold, then fine, maybe one along the lines of Purdue or Notre Dame, then fine, but Vegas gold and the use of it is like a bad disease that's out of control. It's what kills the Penguins completely. It's what kills Georgia Tech. It looks like the uniforms have been left out in the sun for 2-3 years and have become faded. There's absolutely no pop to that color as it just fades and fades into obscurity.

Those jerseys still had the wordmark on the hem.

Kings29.png

I guess I'm in the minority, but I loved those jersey. They were unique. The jersey pattern was very simple and traditional, but combined with the wordmark on the hem, the colours, and the number font they looked modern. Everyone is hating on the font but I honestly love it. Yes, they're fairly obtuse but they have a sort of medieval look that I like, and I think fits the Kings well. I would love for the kings to bring back a purple jersey full time. That colour has been neglected far too much in hockey.

They weren't horrible, Brendan, and I liked how they tried to combine eras with that design. My biggest issue was the unnecessary wordmark on the jersey's hem. The Kings have a strong and unique enough identity, that they don't need to mention they're from Los Angeles on the road, and certainly not at home. While the numbering and lettering wasn't bad, it was just gaudy. Take a look at the Sacramento Kings jerseys around the same time (2002 specifically), and you will see they updated to the black/purple/and silver look and stuck with a modified version of block numbering and lettering. Now that would've been a perfect compromise for the Kings of that era.

What about an old gold, much like what the Saints wear, oddball? Don't you think that could work, instead of the pale vegas gold? It could be a compromise of a traditional and popular shade of gold.

They weren't horrible, Brendan, and I liked how they tried to combine eras with that design. My biggest issue was the unnecessary wordmark on the jersey's hem. The Kings have a strong and unique enough identity, that they don't need to mention they're from Los Angeles on the road, and certainly not at home. While the numbering and lettering wasn't bad, it was just gaudy. Take a look at the Sacramento Kings jerseys around the same time (2002 specifically), and you will see they updated to the black/purple/and silver look and stuck with a modified version of block numbering and lettering. Now that would've been a perfect compromise for the Kings of that era.

What about an old gold, much like what the Saints wear, oddball? Don't you think that could work, instead of the pale vegas gold? It could be a compromise of a traditional and popular shade of gold.

The Anaheim Ducks shade of gold is exactly the same as the New Orleans Saints. I don't think it would sit well to have two rivals wearing the exact same unique shade of gold.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived