NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing the Kings need to do is add hem trim to their current unis.

You people are once again drastically overrating yet another dated design simply on the merit of blind nostalgia :)

how can you not think this...

245.gif

...isn't better than this?

105.gif

Easily.

The old crown is as others have said, soft and too detailed. Feminine, maybe, but thats not important. From a moderate distance on fast moving hockey players, the old crown appears as a sloppy blotch that could be anything other than a crown. The current crown has sharp lines and points, and while it also is very detailed, is not nearly as detailed as the old crown. It just conveys the shape of a crown in a better way than the old one does. Even on moving players in action from the upper bowl, a small glimpse of the logo on the jersey immediately says "hey, thats a crown!".

As far as the colors go, as much as some of you (mistakingly) prefer the Lakers scheme, the current color scheme is the best the Kings have ever used. It is a testimonial as to how to merge eras into something all its own (you hear that, Chargers?). The purple harkens to the team's infancy as one of the "next six" expansion franchises, and the silver and black are, whether you like it or not are associated with the most important years in the franchise's history. Remember, they made thier only Stanley Cup Finals appearance wearing silver and black, and that number 99 guy wore that jersey as well. When they swapped logos by designating the new crown as the primary and the coat of arms as a secondary, they got it right, seeing a the team's original logo was a crown, but now a newer, better crown. Also, the purple seems to liven up the silver and black. Also, as far as royalty goes, Ive always seen gold as more of a ceremonial color and silver as a "battle" color if you will. After all, a hockey game is somewhat equated to a battle, is it not?

I will personally always associate the Kings more with silver and black than with purple and gold. Simply because thats the jersey that number 99 guy wore and if not for him putting on that jersey and playing for the Kings, I might not have any San Jose Sharks to root for. When they added purple and switched to the crown, ok cool, acknowledge the pre-Gretzky days in a subtle manner.

But yeah, I know, for some that JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH :rolleyes:

The Purple and Gold crown looks very soft and weak, And lets be honest, a little feminine. As for the current logo, it's starting to show its age, and doesn't really look to crown-ish. It looks really spiky, and flat.

It looks feminine because it's a queens crown.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Easily.

The old crown is as others have said, soft and too detailed. Feminine, maybe, but thats not important. From a moderate distance on fast moving hockey players, the old crown appears as a sloppy blotch that could be anything other than a crown. The current crown has sharp lines and points, and while it also is very detailed, is not nearly as detailed as the old crown. It just conveys the shape of a crown in a better way than the old one does. Even on moving players in action from the upper bowl, a small glimpse of the logo on the jersey immediately says "hey, thats a crown!".

As far as the colors go, as much as some of you (mistakingly) prefer the Lakers scheme, the current color scheme is the best the Kings have ever used. It is a testimonial as to how to merge eras into something all its own (you hear that, Chargers?). The purple harkens to the team's infancy as one of the "next six" expansion franchises, and the silver and black are, whether you like it or not are associated with the most important years in the franchise's history. Remember, they made thier only Stanley Cup Finals appearance wearing silver and black, and that number 99 guy wore that jersey as well. When they swapped logos by designating the new crown as the primary and the coat of arms as a secondary, they got it right, seeing a the team's original logo was a crown, but now a newer, better crown. Also, the purple seems to liven up the silver and black. Also, as far as royalty goes, Ive always seen gold as more of a ceremonial color and silver as a "battle" color if you will. After all, a hockey game is somewhat equated to a battle, is it not?

I will personally always associate the Kings more with silver and black than with purple and gold. Simply because thats the jersey that number 99 guy wore and if not for him putting on that jersey and playing for the Kings, I might not have any San Jose Sharks to root for. When they added purple and switched to the crown, ok cool, acknowledge the pre-Gretzky days in a subtle manner.

But yeah, I know, for some that JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH :rolleyes:

My problem with the Kings in silver & black has always been that it was a transparent attempt at siphoning off merchandising dollars from the Raiders. I could maybe see if the Kings had a rep in the NHL that was analogous to how the NFL saw the Raiders, but that wasn't the case (that'd probably be the Flyers if anyone). If anything, the fact that No. 99's wife was an actress who may-or-may-not have been the catalyst for his trade to LA puts them squarely into Lakers on Ice territory. When they later tried to mix purple with the Raiders colors,they wound up looking like they were ripping off the NBA Kings when they (the LA hockey club) are the original kings.

I think the Kings should pull a TCU and go with purple and red - purple for the Lakers, and red for the Clippers. Sounds garish, but if they use a really dark purple, it would look nice, IMO.

Maybe they could use something like this shade of purple with this shade of red.

In regards to the Purple, that's actually very close to what they're already using, which is this:

LosAngelesKingsPurple_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I think the Kings should pull a TCU and go with purple and red - purple for the Lakers, and red for the Clippers. Sounds garish, but if they use a really dark purple, it would look nice, IMO.

Maybe they could use something like this shade of purple with this shade of red.

The thing with the Kings though, is that they have been in LA since the 60's and have pretty good fanbase, they don't need to borrow color schemes from other LA teams to get attention of the market. I'm just hoping that they don't go back to silver and black, it just seems so dull on the ice to me. Either a return to gold and purple or sticking with the current purple, black and silver would be alright with me.

jNTsTyQ.png

The thing with the Kings though, is that they have been in LA since the 60's and have pretty good fanbase, they don't need to borrow color schemes from other LA teams to get attention of the market. I'm just hoping that they don't go back to silver and black, it just seems so dull on the ice to me. Either a return to gold and purple or sticking with the current purple, black and silver would be alright with me.

They've always borrowed colour schemes from other teams though. Purple and gold from the Lakers, black and silver from the Raiders, and purple, black, and silver from the Sacramento Kings.

The only thing the Kings need to do is add hem trim to their current unis.

You people are once again drastically overrating yet another dated design simply on the merit of blind nostalgia :)

Purple and gold are about the best colors a team with a royal themed name can wear and the fact that they've always shared a building with the Lakers makes it even more appropriate. And how can you not think this...

245.gif

...isn't better than this?

105.gif

That said, I'd be perfectly content with a recolor of the current crown, just as long as the original colors returned. But for the record, this has nothing to do with nostalgia... I can't ever recall seeing the Kings play when they were in purple & gold.

Kings-1.png

Excuse the quality, I did it quick.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

They've always borrowed colour schemes from other teams though. Purple and gold from the Lakers, black and silver from the Raiders, and purple, black, and silver from the Sacramento Kings.

I don't think their current color scheme was a rip-off of the Sacramento Kings as much as it was just a combination of past and present. Their 25th anniversary used their current colors and that came out 2-3 years before Sacramento broke out the purple/silver/black.

25th Anniversary Logo

jNTsTyQ.png

Archived