Comcast unveils new brand name and logo

dfwabel

Starting February 12, Comcast will remain as the corporate name, but the company will emphasize Xfinity in advertisements and on 24,000 service trucks and thousands of employee uniforms.

Comcast's switch in names "is about providing our customers with products that just keep getting better,"said a company spokeswoman.

xfinity

Isn't this something similar to how Bell Atlantic change their phone-brand to Verizon back in the late '90s?

I think it could be a good move (it can't be a bad move) because the word "Comcast" just seems like a big, bad, corporate-giant name that's easy to hate. Xfinity is cutting edge, hip, trendy, and everyone will want a piece of it.

As long as they don't change the name of the Comcast tower to the Xfinity Center.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it could be a good move (it can't be a bad move) because the word "Comcast" just seems like a big, bad, corporate-giant name that's easy to hate. Xfinity is was cutting edge, hip, trendy, and everyone will want a piece of it if it were still 1993.

Fixed it for you :D

Forreal though... they had the right idea in trying to get their public face away from their "overlordish" sounding corporate name. Only they traded it for something that sounds exactly like what it is... a soul-less corporation trying to convince everyone that it's "cool."

Not to mention that the name makes no sense. I presume it's supposed to be derived from "infinity" which refers to a quantity that is infinite (i.e. without limit); as opposed to a finite (i.e. with a limit) quantity. But what would an "xfinite" quantity be? Something that has a limit but we don't know what that limit is? Clunky as hell.

CCSLC signature.png

Not to mention that the name makes no sense. I presume it's supposed to be derived from "infinity" which refers to a quantity that is infinite (i.e. without limit); as opposed to a finite (i.e. with a limit) quantity. But what would an "xfinite" quantity be? Something that has a limit but we don't know what that limit is? Clunky as hell.

Last I checked, 250 gigs of bandwidth a month total uploaded and downloaded.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Isn't this something similar to how Bell Atlantic change their phone-brand to Verizon back in the late '90s?

Sorta, but not quite. I worked for them until our company spun off as its own entity.

First, the company was NYNEX (New York/New England Exchange)

Next, after merging with Bell Atlantic, the company took the Bell Atlantic name.

Bell Atlantic merged with GTE/SBC/Ameritech, and that new company took the name Verizon.

Then my division spun off to form Idearc Media.

Stock tanked, company re-emerged as SuperMedia.

:breathe:

It sounds like Xfinity is just the renamed part of some of Comcast's services. Unlike Bell Atlantic/Verizon, Comcast will still exist, at least on the corporate level.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Now lets see about modifying that customer service, Comcast.

Oh, but you miss the point! They're rebranding in hopes that you'll forget how bad their customer service is! They don't want to actually fix anything.

Bleh, I'm sick of this company being bought/changing identities. In the past 10 years now, in my hometown of Colorado Springs, they'll have had cable service provided by Colorado Springs Cablevision, Adelphia, Comcast, and now xfinity. One company, bought twice and name-changed once, with increasingly worse customer service and higher prices.

</rant>

On topic, downgrade name and logo.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

From their media release:

"Comcast Corp. said yesterday that it would re-brand its TV, Internet, and telephone services as Xfinity on Feb. 12 to signal to customers that this isn't the same old company."

ROFL...anyone laying odds on whether it will indeed just be the same old company? My money is on a resounding yes.

And how do you pronounce 'Xfinity' anyway?

Advice to anyone with a reputation as bad as Comcast's...leave the name alone and fix the problems instead. If such companies put half the effort into customer service that they do into new logos/paint schemes and 'edgy' names, we'd all be better off. Yeah, it's rocket science, huh? :rolleyes:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived