NFL Concept Jerseys - 1995

Panthers

I know Jacksonville had a concept jersey available at the franchise announcement (the picture from SI has been posted many times).

Did any of the other teams, aside from Baltimore, have uniform sets made? I excluded Baltimore because I have the jersey and pants (it was acquired from the NFL).

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I remember seeing one from the Panthers announcement. I think they were fairly similar to what they ended up wearing, but with double-outlined numbers. Maybe some black pants too.

EDIT: A quick search yielded this image. Not sure if there is documentation of any other combos.

2186044428_6576705557_o.jpg

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

well also i remember this faintly but i think the Jaguar car company was going to sue the NFL because of the way the Jaguar looked like. Something to do with it being close to if not the same way the jaguar logo is for the car company.....

You're correct tohasbo, thank goodness they redesigned, and abandoned the sleeves, those things are terrible....

On a side note, the Jaguars jerseys shown in the picture above are Champion, was Champion the supplier in 95 for the NFL? I know Nike became the outfitter in the later 90's, early 2000's, when was the switch made from Champion to Nike, and Nike to Reebok?

Also from SSUR, the St. Louis Stallions.

There's a picture of a real live version of this somewhere on the Internets, but a quick Google image search didn't turn it up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You're correct tohasbo, thank goodness they redesigned, and abandoned the sleeves, those things are terrible....

On a side note, the Jaguars jerseys shown in the picture above are Champion, was Champion the supplier in 95 for the NFL? I know Nike became the outfitter in the later 90's, early 2000's, when was the switch made from Champion to Nike, and Nike to Reebok?

I know for a period between 1998-2001 teams had Puma, Adidas, Nike AND Reebok.

Reebok became the official supplier in 2002. Becuase I remember Denver had Nike from at LEAST 1995-2001 and the Redskins had adidas from roughly 1998 (?)-2001. With other teams, I am not so sure.

It was actually 2001 when Reebok got the NFL's first league-wide uniform contract.

The contract may have been signed in 2001, but the end result of it didn't appear until the '02 season. I remember this because 2002 was my depressing year of working for a retail inventory service, and I spent many a day inside Foot Locker and Champs stores.

Keep in mind that those graphics are one person's interpretation of the uniforms. I don't know how accurate they really are.

From what I remember of the actual pic, the Stallions mock-up is pretty spot-on. Definitely right about the contrasting sleeves and single-color numbers in front of those weird slashes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Very cool that you acquired a uniform set for the Bombers - can't wait to see them. Sometime around 1995/1996 I spoke with a guy at Riddell who stated he helped design one of the helmets for the Bombers. He said the helmet would be metallic white, with navy stripes (in the same style the Titans have), a navy mask, and the logo that we've seen floating around. One thing he said about the uniform is that the pants had "Baltimore" or "Bombers" written down the side in between stripes. Not sure if this was true or not.

Well, the uniform was for the 1995 season and has Champion tagging. I've seen prototypes like the Stallions in illustration form only. I've emailed a couple of sources to see if a real uniform turned up.

As for the pants, I took them out of the pastic wrapping this morning. They are similar to the Panthers in that they come to an apex at the bottom of the leg. The Bombers logo is on both sides of the pants.

I thought the helmet was to be flat white. I am having one made up to go with he uniform. The orange-gold in the logo doesn't quite match. The jersey is different - think top panels like the Houston Aeros and Pittsburgh Steelers.

That Jaguars concept is interesting, but I'm glad it stayed a concept.

Can't say I agree with you there. Not only is it the most creative and awesome-looking NFL jersey I've ever seen, it's also lightyears ahead of what the Jaguars have now.

Was that jersey really going to have just one set of TV numbers? Hard to believe they thought that would fly...

Archived