NFL Concept Jerseys - 1995

Panthers

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're correct tohasbo, thank goodness they redesigned, and abandoned the sleeves, those things are terrible....

On a side note, the Jaguars jerseys shown in the picture above are Champion, was Champion the supplier in 95 for the NFL? I know Nike became the outfitter in the later 90's, early 2000's, when was the switch made from Champion to Nike, and Nike to Reebok?

I know for a period between 1998-2001 teams had Puma, Adidas, Nike AND Reebok.

Reebok became the official supplier in 2002. Becuase I remember Denver had Nike from at LEAST 1995-2001 and the Redskins had adidas from roughly 1998 (?)-2001. With other teams, I am not so sure.

Yeah i know the Colts wore Wilson from the early 90's to 1996, then switched to Puma, then switched like everyone to Reebok in 2002

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

That Jaguars concept is interesting, but I'm glad it stayed a concept.

Can't say I agree with you there. Not only is it the most creative and awesome-looking NFL jersey I've ever seen, it's also lightyears ahead of what the Jaguars have now.

Was that jersey really going to have just one set of TV numbers? Hard to believe they thought that would fly...

Not quite the same thing, but the Falcons only used one set of TV numbers in 1990...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Deion-Sanders-Pro-Set-Football-Card-98_W0QQitemZ310181784480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Football?hash=item4838466ba0

You're correct tohasbo, thank goodness they redesigned, and abandoned the sleeves, those things are terrible....

On a side note, the Jaguars jerseys shown in the picture above are Champion, was Champion the supplier in 95 for the NFL? I know Nike became the outfitter in the later 90's, early 2000's, when was the switch made from Champion to Nike, and Nike to Reebok?

Reebok became the official supplier in 2002. Becuase I remember Denver had Nike from at LEAST 1995-2001 and the Redskins had adidas from roughly 1998 (?)-2001. With other teams, I am not so sure.

2001 was the first year league-wide manufacturing rights were sold. Until then, each team chose its own supplier. I know that the Packers used Starter when they first started putting manufacturer logos on jerseys (either 1990 or 1991), then switched to Nike in 1997 until Reebok bought the league rights.

Right, the contract was in 2001. Everyone that still had a year left on their existing contract was allowed to honor that deal until 02, when they had to go to reebok. Not sure if anyone had to breach a contract in order to comply.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am so glad none of those worked out, they all look like Arena league unis or something thats not the NFL.

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

That Jaguars concept is interesting, but I'm glad it stayed a concept.

Can't say I agree with you there. Not only is it the most creative and awesome-looking NFL jersey I've ever seen, it's also lightyears ahead of what the Jaguars have now.

I disagree completely. With a few minor tweaks, what the Jags have now is IMO one of the best looks of the NFL ever...

Yeah i know the Colts wore Wilson from the early 90's to 1996, then switched to Puma, then switched like everyone to Reebok in 2002

The Colts also had Champion in the early '90s, and LogoAthletic in between Wilson and Puma.

I recall the following all being on-field suppliers in the '90s, once manufacturer logos started appearing on sleeves:

Adidas

Apex One

Champion

LogoAthletic

Nike

Puma

Reebok

Russell

Starter

Wilson

...and maybe I'm forgetting a couple. Which makes it more interesting to me that all of these expansion prototypes were done by Champion - there must have been some deal done. And yet, when the Jags and Panthers took the field in '95, they were both wearing Wilson.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You know what, now that you mention it, I think Apex may have done the Panthers' inaugural set. But Wilson definitely did the Jags.

List in post above edited to add "Apex One". How could I forget the double-stars?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Whether the prototype Panthers was done by Champion or not, they did not take the field in Champion jerseys. You can tell by their font - they never wore the "champion" font. Not sure about the Jags, though I think they were Wilson early on... not very confident about that though.

It seems to me that back in the day, Champion did most of the AFC. IIRC, the following AFC teams all had Champion at around the same time:

NY Jets

BUF Bills

CIN Bengals

IND Colts

HOU Oilers

Whereas only the following NFC teams were in Champion:

NO Saints

ATL Falcons

From 1995 - 2002, the Eagles went from Russell to Starter to Puma to Reebok. As others have mentioned, APEX 1, adidas, Wilson, Nike, and (not sure about this) Logo Athletic(?) also had licenses for on-field gear.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Bears and Saints also had a couple of seasons with Champion.

The Colts also had Champion in the early '90s, and LogoAthletic in between Wilson and Puma.

I recall the following all being on-field suppliers in the '90s, once manufacturer logos started appearing on sleeves:

Adidas

Apex One

Champion

LogoAthletic

Nike

Puma

Reebok

Russell

Starter

Wilson

...and maybe I'm forgetting a couple. Which makes it more interesting to me that all of these expansion prototypes were done by Champion - there must have been some deal done. And yet, when the Jags and Panthers took the field in '95, they were both wearing Wilson.

Does anyone know which companies actually manufacture the on-field uniforms for the teams? I don't believe Reebok actually does any sewing, so they outsource the work. I believe Wilson still manufactures the Colts' uniforms but all the tagging is Reebok. Does Ripon (old SandKnit)still manufacture uniforms on behalf of Reebok? Do the teams choose which supplier gets used or does Reebok assign the teams?

The Bears and Saints also had a couple of seasons with Champion.

Mentioned the Saints. Forgot about the Bears, since they didn't use the Champion font.

The Cardinals were definitely a LogoAthletic team for at least one year (after Wilson and before Puma, I believe).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Cardinals were definitely a LogoAthletic team for at least one year (after Wilson and before Puma, I believe).

yep 1998 season:

CardinalsLA.png

Archived