NFL Concept Jerseys - 1995

Panthers

I recall the following all being on-field suppliers in the '90s, once manufacturer logos started appearing on sleeves:

Adidas

Apex One

Champion

LogoAthletic

Nike

Puma

Reebok

Russell

Starter

Wilson

...and maybe I'm forgetting a couple. Which makes it more interesting to me that all of these expansion prototypes were done by Champion - there must have been some deal done. And yet, when the Jags and Panthers took the field in '95, they were both wearing Wilson.

For the 1995 season, the teams whose uniforms were supplied by Wilson had the Wilson Staff W/S shield before reverting to the W the next year.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually have a Panthers jersey that was given to me by a friend, that was a giveaway at the Panthers very first game, a #14, with "Panthers" NOB, and an Inaugural Season shield on the shoulder, manufactured by "Apex"...

Until Reebok took over exclusive rights for the NFL, all manufacturers made jerseys for retail sale for every team. For example, just because Nike made uniforms for Denver, it didn't mean Reebok couldn't make and sell Broncos jerseys. In fact I remember it being almost impossible for me to find a Wilson/Staff Broncos jersey in '94 or '95 when they were the official supplier.

I actually have a Panthers jersey that was given to me by a friend, that was a giveaway at the Panthers very first game, a #14, with "Panthers" NOB, and an Inaugural Season shield on the shoulder, manufactured by "Apex"...

Until Reebok took over exclusive rights for the NFL, all manufacturers made jerseys for retail sale for every team. For example, just because Nike made uniforms for Denver, it didn't mean Reebok couldn't make and sell Broncos jerseys. In fact I remember it being almost impossible for me to find a Wilson/Staff Broncos jersey in '94 or '95 when they were the official supplier.

Not only that, but each manufacturer would make each jersey a little different. For example, Wilson Eagles jerseys were a much tighter mesh than the normal Russell ones, and seemed to be a brighter green, and looked kind of shiny. IMO they looked way better than what they wore on the field. IIRC, the manufacturers could all market their jerseys as "proline" too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Fascinating uniform for Baltimore. What is odd is that the colors used on the logo don't necessarily match the uniforms. Based on the combination you would have to say that Baltimore's proposed color palette was Navy, Red, Silver, Black and Yellow. That is way too much. I am glad they didn't get a team with this kind of confusion. The shoulder patches in no way work with the shoulder/sleeve v-stripes. I like the pant stripes but not with a big yellow logo on them. If the yellow from the logo were red or silver, maybe it would work.

Wow. Thanks for sharing those! I'd tend to agree that the color scheme looks disconnected from the logo.

Wonder if Modell gave any thought to adopting the Bombers name when he moved the Browns, as the Patriots owner did when he threatened to move them to St. Louis after they didn't get a team?

Any idea why they went with (or would have gone with) the name Bombers? Was it strictly because of alliteration?

Those uniforms look like a complete mess. The worst are the Stallion unis. WOW! Seriously now...you have got to be kidding me. Thank god those never came into fruition.

EDIT: just checked Wikipedia regarding the Bombers. Makes sense why they chose the name...though it seems more like the alliteration makes much more sense.

Wow. Thanks for sharing those! I'd tend to agree that the color scheme looks disconnected from the logo.

Wonder if Modell gave any thought to adopting the Bombers name when he moved the Browns, as the Patriots owner did when he threatened to move them to St. Louis after they didn't get a team?

I had heard that Modell inquired about buying the name Colts from the Irsay's. But when they asked for more than a few million he decided otherwise.

Buying the Colts name would have been the right move. The city of Baltimore deserves that name and Indianapolis deserves to have its own name, not Baltimore's.

I think that's why I root against the Colts and Rams more than I do against the Ravens or Titans. I absolutely hate when teams are ripped from cities. At least when they change the name you don't have to continue to have the team name rubbed in your face.

Here is the Stallions uniform.

M667790.jpg?t=1265414110

Isn't it interesting how closely this logo resembles the logo that Denver ultimately switched to a couple of years later albeit in a more refined and attractive appearance. I like the general idea of this uniform, but I think the gold is way too dark and I don't understand the relation between stallions and the slashes on the sleeves.

3470081434_f8ee9263e5_b.jpgJust found this, searching through google images.

I miss this uniform. They were unique, but still fit the NFL aesthetic for 1995 and today.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Cool thread, I had not seen those other jerseys before.

I grew up in Jacksonville and picked up a couple of hats from before they switched logos; the one on the left is a fashion-y hat with an example of the full-body logo you don't often see around anymore.

4342216251_5522d1559b_b_d.jpg

4342216877_b4f78a868e_b_d.jpg

Buying the Colts name would have been the right move. The city of Baltimore deserves that name and Indianapolis deserves to have its own name, not Baltimore's.

I think that's why I root against the Colts and Rams more than I do against the Ravens or Titans. I absolutely hate when teams are ripped from cities. At least when they change the name you don't have to continue to have the team name rubbed in your face.

Los Angeles ripped the name from Cleveland. Somehow they managed. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Los Angeles ripped the name from Cleveland. Somehow they managed. :rolleyes:

Cleveland had chosen the Browns - they had already deserted the Rams. Not the same thing at all.

Archived