Twins road uni error on first day

CubsFanBudMan

I was disappointed by the new road look when they were first introduced. But after seeing them on the field I realize how much of an upgrade they are over the pinstripe grays. I'll miss the "M" hat. I know they say they'll still use it as an alternative, but I can't see how that would look good with the "Minnesota" script.

I thought the exact same. After the Twins revealed the uni's this past winter I wasn't a fan of the road uniforms either. After buying one they have been growing on me. I wish I new they were ditching the nameplates. I just had my jersey customized with Span's name and number, including the nameplate...doh!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest problem is the cap.

I mean honestly, are they the Twins or the Indians?? I don't know who's idea it was to have a hat that looked nearly identical to another team in thier division, but it was a pretty stupid idea. I'm really hoping they expirement with the all navy cap on the roads here soon, cause I think it would look worlds better. Besides, for the identity as an entirety, the red billed hat looks completely out of place.

That's almost bound to happen when you have the same colors as another team within the division...to say nothing of seemingly half the major leagues. Part of me almost wished the Twins had revamped their colors for this season, if they really wanted to set their identity apart...something akin to the colors the Wild use (which would have also given them the distinction of being the only red/green team in the bigs). But then I'm not a Twins fan, nor do I know how well that would fly in Minnesota...if it would at all.

Well I just say so because for nearly fifty years they had a cap that, while having similar colors to others in thier division, still distincted themselves as the Twins. What made them decide all of the sudden to change that? Especially when the Indians have already established themselves as a team with a red billed cap? It just makes no sense to me why that idea ever crossed thier mind, especially with the abundance of navy on the uniform.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I mean honestly, are they the Twins or the Indians?? I don't know who's idea it was to have a hat that looked nearly identical to another team in thier division, but it was a pretty stupid idea. I'm really hoping they expirement with the all navy cap on the roads here soon, cause I think it would look worlds better. Besides, for the identity as an entirety, the red billed hat looks completely out of place.

That's almost bound to happen when you have the same colors as another team within the division...to say nothing of seemingly half the major leagues. Part of me almost wished the Twins had revamped their colors for this season, if they really wanted to set their identity apart...something akin to the colors the Wild use (which would have also given them the distinction of being the only red/green team in the bigs). But then I'm not a Twins fan, nor do I know how well that would fly in Minnesota...if it would at all.

Well I just say so because for nearly fifty years they had a cap that, while having similar colors to others in thier division, still distincted themselves as the Twins. What made them decide all of the sudden to change that? Especially when the Indians have already established themselves as a team with a red billed cap? It just makes no sense to me why that idea ever crossed thier mind, especially with the abundance of navy on the uniform.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I couldn't disagree more. Adding an outline to the names would make them way too busy. Single-color names work best. Besides, they look good on the Braves:

p72622-Atlanta-Atlanta_Braves.jpg

I think much of the times single color names look cheap. In the Twins' case they aren't that bad, since the name is in the color that outlines the numbers. In the case when the names are the same color as the numbers, only without the outline, it looks very cheap, IMO. Examples are the Rays roads and Padres roads and alts. I like the Braves' look, but I think the bold block numbers help it. It is almost as if they have shown so much red below that they don't need to include it in the name. I know, it sounds crazy.

The back of the Twins jerseys don't look bad on their own. However, they do in the context of the rest of the set. If the wordmark were red with a navy outline, as on the home jerseys and as the numbers on both, it would be passable. However, showing navy with a red outline on the front and having it without the outline on the back doesn't look right. I also think there should be an outline on the home unis to make the names stand out from the pinstripes, but that is an arguement for another day.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't disagree on the point about the hat not being distinctive. But one good thing (for me, anyway) has come from this. A few years ago, I bought the team's BP hat at the time: the typical navy blue but with a thicker, red brim. I was pissed when MLB started switching out BP hat designs, making mine largely irrelevant. With the switch to the new road hats, my old BP hat has a new purpose.

Thus ends our good news story of the day.

It wouldn't. At least it wouldn't in my small corner of Twins Territory I occupy out here in Oregon (though I'm still and will always be a Minnesotan).

That's what I tend to think. I know after a lifetime of cheering for the Red/White/Blue Twins, I would not like such an identity overhaul. I'll fall a little short of saying that the fanbase would be in an uproar, but I doubt the reaction would be positive overall.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That's not the purpose of a baseball uniform, really. It's to crisply and effectively identify the team and the player. Superfluous, 'exciting' details are not needed to perform that task.

So, really, all teams in baseball (or all sports) should have plain jerseys with no trim, one-color block numbers and names (of course, there are those who hate names on jerseys, too), and a plain one-color block team (home) or city (road) name across the front?

Obviously that's not what you're saying, but I'm so sick of hearing "the purpose of a (baseball) uniform" around here. On this board, we're talking about jerseys simply as identification? Really? That's why we have seven-plus years of threads about design?

-----

Oh, and the error of the road uni is the absence of the road pins. The new roads are so dark and drab, and that script's a hot mess.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Script would be better if it were just tailed like the vintage Twins script:

minnscript.jpg

Cap monogram could be all white outlined in red instead of white T red C, and I don't like the red bill, but hooray for no more road pinstripes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that would actually look really good. Here is a quick mock up of the red and green.

Twins.jpg

jNTsTyQ.png

It's okay, I guess. I feel like the Twins, as a charter member of the league and all, might as well stick with the navy and red they've been using since the Washington Senators days. Little late in the game to try out new colors.

That's not the purpose of a baseball uniform, really. It's to crisply and effectively identify the team and the player. Superfluous, 'exciting' details are not needed to perform that task.

So, really, all teams in baseball (or all sports) should have plain jerseys with no trim, one-color block numbers and names (of course, there are those who hate names on jerseys, too), and a plain one-color block team (home) or city (road) name across the front?

Obviously that's not what you're saying, but I'm so sick of hearing "the purpose of a (baseball) uniform" around here. On this board, we're talking about jerseys simply as identification? Really? That's why we have seven-plus years of threads about design?

CITY NAME

SPORTS TEAM

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Script would be better if it were just tailed like the vintage Twins script:

minnscript.jpg

What he said...

No doubt, this is the single biggest problem with the uniform.

The navy with red outline needs to stay to differentiate the Twins from other teams. All the others use red with a navy outline. Hell, the Twins should use the cream alternate full time at home (which features the navy Twins script with a red outline, but that script needs updating). I'd like the numbers better in the same coloring as the script, like they are on the cream jersey. I don't really give an eff about the names. They are by far the least important part of a uniform. Two color names are nice, but it seems like a waste.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I was disappointed by the new road look when they were first introduced. But after seeing them on the field I realize how much of an upgrade they are over the pinstripe grays. I'll miss the "M" hat. I know they say they'll still use it as an alternative, but I can't see how that would look good with the "Minnesota" script.

I thought the exact same. After the Twins revealed the uni's this past winter I wasn't a fan of the road uniforms either. After buying one they have been growing on me. I wish I new they were ditching the nameplates. I just had my jersey customized with Span's name and number, including the nameplate...doh!

Didn't you see pics from the unveil? Clear as day can see that Baker's jersey had no nameplate.

I ordered a road Mauer from a pretty well known place on here. I specifically said NOT to put a nameplate on, had a picture of the back included. So of course they put a nameplate on! When I asked why they did that, I was told they weren't sure what the Twins were doing with the nameplates (didn't my pic make it clear!?).

Hopefully get it back in time for the game I am going to this Saturday.

While I agree that connecting the tail of to the word mark of the Twins jersey would be better, having it disconnected is consistent with the home jersey.

I personally really like the road caps and wonder what took them so long to have a blue crown/red bill version.

The red numbers with blue trim being the opposite of the word mark is in keeping with how they have done their blue alt jerseys for quite some time now.

About the only real gripe I have with the new road jerseys is that from any distance or on TV, the red outline around the blue lettering vanishes. I wish it were thicker, but the number of letters in "Minnesota" doesn't leave them with much room to widen everything out with thicker outlines, so they did what they could with what they were given.

Since there is now a script "M" on the front of the jerseys, I don't see how they can ever justify wearing the old "M" caps again. Sure, the players asked to keep them in the set, but I hope they just quietly fade away...

The one thing I can't get used to is no pinstripes! Right or wrong, it's what they've been wearing for 23 years and my eyes are trained to expect them.

Now, will any pitcher choose the vests in the heat of summer this year?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

While I agree that connecting the tail of to the word mark of the Twins jersey would be better, having it disconnected is consistent with the home jersey.

Well, the easy fix there is to get rid of those home jerseys and use the retro set full-time. Ideally, the color scheme across the board should be navy outlined in red on white, and white outlined in red on navy. This gives the Twins their own niche in the busy world of navy and red. Most teams use red numbers, or have red outlined in white on navy applications (Red Sox, Braves, Indians).

I personally really like the road caps and wonder what took them so long to have a blue crown/red bill version.

They realized the Indians were already doing it?

Maybe it's just me but I never thought of the Indians as the "red billed cap" team. In retrospect, I guess they were. The Angels and Braves had pretty much the same hats for most of my life, though, so I didn't think of it as anything distinct.

If anything, I thought of the Twins as the "road pinstripes" team. I thought that was really cool and distinct. Even though a few other teams have tried it (e.g. the Angels during their ugly phase) the Twins were easily the team that came to mind for distinct road uniforms.

The 2010 Twins road uniforms are nice. They aren't amazing or anything, but they aren't ugly either. Losing the name plates is a big step up; I just wish they'd kept the pinstripes.

The Indians are in the same division as the Twins, if that makes it clearer.

I saw a concept a while back that had the Indians as a brown and red team. You might not think that would look awesome, but it did. Too bad it's too late for the Tribe to go with that. Other than Chief Wahoo, their identity is really really dull.

Archived