2010 CFL Season

pollux

You know, as someone who doesn't watch many CFL games at all, there is one game that does interest me: The Touchdown Atlantic game (Edmonton vs. Toronto at Moncton, NB). Is this a one year deal for that city or are they planning for more games over in the Maritime Provinces any time soon?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, as someone who doesn't watch many CFL games at all, there is one game that does interest me: The Touchdown Atlantic game (Edmonton vs. Toronto at Moncton, NB). Is this a one year deal for that city or are they planning for more games over in the Maritime Provinces any time soon?

There trying how much support the game will get during a regular season game. Moncton seems to be a front runner for getting the 5th Eastern Franchise.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

There trying how much support the game will get during a regular season game. Moncton seems to be a front runner for getting the 5th Eastern Franchise.

Moncton? Really? All it has going for it is its central location. I know it sounds obvious, but any Atlantic team would have to be based out of Halifax. Honestly I would welcome a Halifax team (or a Quebec City team for that matter) over another Ottawa team.

Oh, Go Ti-Cats!

Moncton? Really? All it has going for it is its central location. I know it sounds obvious, but any Atlantic team would have to be based out of Halifax. Honestly I would welcome a Halifax team (or a Quebec City team for that matter) over another Ottawa team.

Oh, Go Ti-Cats!

Go where? To Moncton or Quebec City? Bob Young just may do that...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Oh, Go Ti-Cats!

e222714-1.gif

Oh, Go Ti-Cats!

e222714-1.gif

Look on the bright side, it frees up money for the arena for the NHL team that will never come.

/How can you seriously argue you can support a major hockey team when the football team bolts town. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh, Go Ti-Cats!

e222714-1.gif

Look on the bright side, it frees up money for the arena for the NHL team that will never come.

/How can you seriously argue you can support a major hockey team when the football team bolts town. :P

If I was pressed, I could produce two answers.

The snarky one....

The same way you argue support for hockey in Phoenix; blind denial and unsubstantiated faith in the league.

The serious one....

In Canada hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> football.

The name seemed familiar, they played an Exhibition game in Halifax under that nameback in 2005, and there would have been another one in 2006 except the Renegades folded.

Does it mean the Hamilton Tiger-Cats might stay and maybe play in the new stadium? I wonder on that however.. as for Quebec City, whoa I am not sure if there is a big stadium that is capable to host CFL football? I'm curious as to that...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Does it mean the Hamilton Tiger-Cats might stay and maybe play in the new stadium?

Yes.

I wonder on that however.. as for Quebec City, whoa I am not sure if there is a big stadium that is capable to host CFL football? I'm curious as to that...

Well attendance, ratings, enrolment in youth leagues, etc... indicate that French Canadians have really taken to Canadian football. Quebec City can thus be seen as a huge untapped market. The problem is that there is no stadium there and every attempt to build one has been blocked by the local government. I would still like to see it happen eventually, though.

Does it mean the Hamilton Tiger-Cats might stay and maybe play in the new stadium?

Yes.

I wonder on that however.. as for Quebec City, whoa I am not sure if there is a big stadium that is capable to host CFL football? I'm curious as to that...

Well attendance, ratings, enrollment in youth leagues, etc... indicate that French Canadians have really taken to Canadian football. Quebec City can thus be seen as a huge untapped market. The problem is that there is no stadium there and every attempt to build one has been blocked by the local government. I would still like to see it happen eventually, though.

The thought of "where can he REALLY go after 2011" should still prevail, right?

On architecture threads, it seems since the West Harbour site is for the Commonwealth Games. Currently (via Young's comments) , it has no legal...a tenant after the Games. Then no Games funds will be given to that project. Could federal and provincial money for the stadium will just be given to other Pan-Am venues and Hamilton receive little to nothing?

Here's my understanding of the situation.

There is a "legacy Clause" within the stadium funding agreement, which pertains, in not so many words, to pro football, and in particular, the Tiger-Cats. Considering there's precious little else lined up for this stadium, if the city pisses off Bob Young by putting the stadium downtown, instead of where the provincial government, the federal government, and the Ti-Cats want to put them, then they're essentially cutting their own throat, and the province/feds can pull their support and build it at York University.

Bob Young has put about $30M of his own money into the team since he bought them, and was willing to put another god-knows-how-much (I've heard estimates up to $75M) into improvements and infrastructure at the east mountain site favored by all except Hamilton City Council. For the city to ignore all of this is asinine at best.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As strange as it is to say but Lee is right on all accounts... hence why I am wondering why Ice Cap is cheering... that vote was the possible death of the Ti-Cats in Hamilton...

Essentially the mayor and his council want a vanity project that they can point to when their terms are done and thats the "revitalization" of west harbour... The funny thing is Bob Young has even offered financial support to help west harbour if they moved the site to east mountain, yet they still dont want to do it...

The council ignored the Ti-Cats request, the findings of international experts, the provincial and federal governments, and even an independent arbitrator was brought it and recommended the east mountain site over west harbour. If Hamilton doesnt get its shiznit together they will have 2 supposedly world class sports facilities and no teams...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived