Hoosiers new unis?

Cyclone20

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaudy collar. Unpleasant serifs. And are the shoulder stripes an attempt to piggyback off the Colts' success, or is there a history of them in Hoosier football?

Alternately, is there any history in Hoosier football?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have no idea as to how they messed that up...but they did. Sodboy basically hit it on the nail, especially with the collar & serifs. Plus they have the side panels, which were played out in 2006. Just a mess.

I think the Hoosiers may have one-upped the Minnesota Vikings in the category of "Half-assed attempts to make a block font proprietary".

And regarding the side panels, let me guess: Wide white side panel on the jerseys, traditional narrow red-white-red striping on the pants, thereby ensuring an unpleasant mismatch of elements. Nice work.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow...just...damn.

Okay, Adidas...we know you're trying HARD to be noticed. Well guess what...we noticed. And what we noticed is mighty unsightly. First off...that Hoosiers script is a bit too big and looks cheap. I ain't even gon' say nothin' about those serifs. All the other stuff Sodboy mentioned. A nice hodgepodge of what-the-fkuc. And if IU is going to use that much white in the uniform, either the shell or facemask probably should also be white.

And when has the IU monogram ever been italicized?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wow, that looks really bad and they didn't need a change. I'm glad that this year was my last year of caring about Indiana's football team, because it would be a pain to see those 12 times a year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

And when has the IU monogram ever been italicized?

I'm too lazy to go hunting, but UniWatch posted a shot of an Indiana player from the early/mid-'80s, and the helmet had a super-italicized IU monogram. Think about, like, a NASCAR number-style slant. On this uni, I think the pants monogram might just look italicized from being stretched across the pants.

EDIT: Helmet Hut delivers:

INXXIU8383%20(4).jpg

why is the rise on the pants so high?

Because it's on a dummy. If it was on a human, it would have the flesh and muscle to sink into as opposed to the wood or plastic of the dummy. The other thinking is that it could be the newer style of pants with the pad just sewn into it. Of course they might have just grabbed a leg pad and not worried about it. Of course look at the dummy, I've seen fashion models that have more meat on them!

Now they look as good as they play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't see the disdain for the numbers. It's about time someone brought back serifed block numerals. They're a little different than the classics, but I like the character they have.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't see the disdain for the numbers. It's about time someone brought back serifed block numerals. They're a little different than the classics, but I like the character they have.

But they're specifically trying to replicate the classics, yet made modifications that the classics never had. A lot of old time numbers had wonky things going on with them, but I can't remember any kind of block style with anything other than a Cowboys-style serif. I like custom fonts as much as anyone on here, but if you're going classic, then go classic. Otherwise, it's just contrived and bad.

My split-second initial reaction when opening this thread was "oh, cool!". After actually looking at these things, I feel totally opposite. Ridiculous logo creep by adidas, wonky contrived number font, super-large '80s style team name on front, side panels that clash with the pants, ugh.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think they were trying to replicate the Cowboy numerals. If they wanted to do that, they would have. Indiana football is not big enough to be a guinea pig and to 'require' a custom numeral style to curb counterfeiting and whatnot. If they were looking to showcase this as something like that, they would have put it on UCLA or Tennessee or one of their flagships not named Notre Dame or Michigan. To me, it's clearly a one-off, lighthearted attempt to create a new serifed block numeral, and it's fun, which is what I love most about them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

they should pick one element on the shoulder pads to keep and toss the other one. if they want to go modern, keep the center neck design. if they want to go classic, keep the shoulder stripes.

the hoosiers wordmark is too big. the numbers are odd but i think they would be okay if they went with the shoulder strips instead of the neck design.

i can't comment on the side panels because i can't see them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived