Texas NBA D-League team named

Windmill360

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2863

The Frisco D-League team is at this moment announcing its name. And the winner is ... Texas Legends!

The Frisco-based D-League team, which starts play next season and will serve as the Mavs? minor-league affiliate, recently announced its three finalists in its Name The Team Contest as part of our DB.com Get-Together as we watched the Mavs win at Memphis.

The Texas Shooters or the Texas Stallions were the other two finalists.

Saturday's announcement was made by Donnie Nelson, the franchise co-owner.

I'm about as proud of a Texan as you can find, but I think there are WAAAAAAYYYYY too many teams taking the name of the state. Frisco is far away from representing nearly anything, and really? "Legends" in the D- League? I expect them to win every game with a name like that in a minor league.

Plus you don't see this nickname everywhere like the other two.

There's probably a reason for that....

I take it you're implying that you don't see it everywhere because it's a crappy nickname. Well think of all the other teams in every league that have a unique name you don't see everywhere. Avalanche, Lakers, Steelers, Brewers just to name a few. What do those teams names have in common? They're reflective on the cities/states in which they reside (minus the Lakers but we all know the history behind that). Now you're probably saying "Legends? what the hell does that have to do with Texas?" Texas is a state rich in history and as I mentioned above they probably wanted to tie the name into the old west theme just like most of the other teams in the Metroplex area are minus the Stars (we know the history behind that as well).

Anyways.. There were probably hundreds of name submissions as they held a contest to come up with names, so I doubt they just went with a name out of a hat. It came down to three and the people voted 'Legends'.

Now you're probably saying "Legends? what the hell does that have to do with Texas?" Texas is a state rich in history and as I mentioned above they probably wanted to tie the name into the old west theme just like most of the other teams in the Metroplex area are minus the Stars (we know the history behind that as well).

As opposed to all those other states which are completely devoid of history? :wacko:

Archived