Yankees change flags atop stadium

cameroncrazie07

Being the Yankee fan that I aam, I own Yankees season tickets. My first game was on friday vs. Texas and right away I noticed that this year, on top of the stadium instead of putting up every teams flag in the standings that they were in, they had every Yankee championship season. I didn't hear anything about this and was wondering if any of you guys did.

I couldn't get a great pic of them but I'm sure that if you've watched any Yankees games this year you've seen them.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being the Yankee fan that I aam, I own Yankees season tickets. My first game was on friday vs. Texas and right away I noticed that this year, on top of the stadium instead of putting up every teams flag in the standings that they were in, they had every Yankee championship season. I didn't hear anything about this and was wondering if any of you guys did.

I couldn't get a great pic of them but I'm sure that if you've watched any Yankees games this year you've seen them.

It was in basically every NYC paper leading up to opening day and blabbered about by Michael Kay during broadcasts throughout the week. I think it was for opening week.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

I honestly haven't been paying attention to baseball one bit since I'm still in B-ball mode, but what did they do about the championship wall in monument field? Did they alter it to fit the 2009 box? I honestly think it was total stupidity to not leave any room for other championship years in there...I mean c'mon its the Yankees, they're gonna win more championships whether I like it or not. ^_^

Heard nothing of this until I saw it last week on a game my wife was watching. Fine idea for them, they should be proud of 27 rings.

I did like he "every team's flag" look but also wondered why they'd do that.

87Redskins.png

You're both a Duke Basketball fan AND a Yankee fan?

Hm.

Of course I'm a fan of stadium-flag standings displays, but if you're the Yankees and you almost have as many rings as teams, why not?

(I'd prefer them without 27-time on each as well.)

I do miss the acknowledgement of other teams in stadiums, like when the old Busch Stadium (and others) used to have every team's logo on the outfield walls. I believe the Reds added a small LED standings display above the right field seats. The Cubs not only have the flags above the scoreboard, but also flags outside Wrigley and the state flag of the opposing team near the marquee. They also have flags for playoff years, but they are not consistent.

I like putting the standings across the top of the Stadium. But this is good as well.

I liked the standings when they were along the outfield at the old Stadium where you could see them from your seat. Along the grandstand I think I like the World Championship flags.

Of course I'm a fan of stadium-flag standings displays, but if you're the Yankees and you almost have as many rings as teams, why not?

(I'd prefer them without 27-time on each as well.)

I do miss the acknowledgement of other teams in stadiums, like when the old Busch Stadium (and others) used to have every team's logo on the outfield walls. I believe the Reds added a small LED standings display above the right field seats. The Cubs not only have the flags above the scoreboard, but also flags outside Wrigley and the state flag of the opposing team near the marquee. They also have flags for playoff years, but they are not consistent.

I think all stadiums had the other team's logos at some point, either in flag form or on the outfield wall, like the Vet. I think the Vet stopped doing it in '94 when the reel line mint created three divisions and there wasn't a good clean symmetrical way for them to arrange the logos. I wonder if that's around when the other non-flag stadiums stopped too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think all stadiums had the other team's logos at some point, either in flag form or on the outfield wall, like the Vet. I think the Vet stopped doing it in '94 when the reel line mint created three divisions and there wasn't a good clean symmetrical way for them to arrange the logos. I wonder if that's around when the other non-flag stadiums stopped too.

The Trop has never had them. I wish they would, though there really isn't a way to do it that I can think of. Obviously they couldn't use flags, and banners would clutter things.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

The Trop has never had them. I wish they would, though there really isn't a way to do it that I can think of. Obviously they couldn't use flags, and banners would clutter things.

Well the Trop isn't really a major league stadium, so I wouldn't expect it to display major league logos.

But seriously, the Rays weren't around until '98, so if the practice started to fade away in '94, it's not surprising that the Trop wouldn't have had them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the logo walls fell by the wayside with the new stadium boom, more than anything. Too much stuff going on at Camden Yards already without putting bright colorful logos on the walls, where you could just put advertisements anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well the Trop isn't really a major league stadium, so I wouldn't expect it to display major league logos.

I hate it when the Trop gets crap for being an indoor stadium. It's a perfectly good place to play or watch a baseball game. Does it have luxury boxes or fancy architecture? No, but in my opinion, a baseball stadium, from a player's standpoint, is for playing a game, and from a fan's standpoint, it's for watching a game. The game can still be played there, and I can watch a game perfectly.

That said, I wouldn't mind a new stadium, but it doesn't stop me from going to the Trop for games.

Relax man, I was joking, I thought my second line made that clear.

I do have to ask though if you've been to other stadiums. I've never been to Trop, but haven't heard anything but awful things about it from people that have.

At Coors Field they have flags for all of the NL teams above the Rockpile. They aren't arranged in any particular order (I've always wished they were, a la Wrigley Field), but it's still a nice touch.

Pic here (too big to embed)

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Relax man, I was joking, I thought my second line made that clear.

I do have to ask though if you've been to other stadiums. I've never been to Trop, but haven't heard anything but awful things about it from people that have.

Yeah, I know you were making a joke. I wasn't really directing it at you. Sorry if it came out that way. Anyway, yes, I have been to other ballparks. Comerica, Jack Murphy, Dodger, Safeco, Skydome, and a few minor league stadiums.

Archived