The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Wow, those look really sharp. Then again, my university's colors were green and white, so I'm a little partial to that color scheme.

Thanks. I actually made my own concept that eliminated the blue from the logo and jerseys that I was going to submit, but just as I was working on it, the Wolves announced the jersey tweaks and black alternate.

I was going to post it on the concepts board, but for some reason I am not allowed to start new topics.

My logo concept

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/funkatron101/Wolves-logo_concept1.jpg

Jersey

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/funkatron101/Wolves-jersey_concept1.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, the NBA tweeted this picture of the rookie photoshoot. Shows some of the new jerseys on real people. Interesting.

http://twitpic.com/2flxyg

147150376-f47c0709329eb911afcdc60dd4a1aa9e.4c6a9ce8-full.jpg

I definitely don't like the Spurs' v-neck look. But are the Wizards rocking v-necks, too? It's hard to tell from the angle, but the necks on Wall and Booker's jerseys look different than, say, the Celtics' round neck.

Take a look at DeMarcus Cousins. It appears the Kings have centered the numerals on the front of the jersey. Being that I just recently purchased a swingman Tyreke Evans jersey, I'm a little irritated. I mean, i guess it looks better, but dammit

FWIW, the NBA tweeted this picture of the rookie photoshoot. Shows some of the new jerseys on real people. Interesting.

http://twitpic.com/2flxyg

147150376-f47c0709329eb911afcdc60dd4a1aa9e.4c6a9ce8-full.jpg

I definitely don't like the Spurs' v-neck look. But are the Wizards rocking v-necks, too? It's hard to tell from the angle, but the necks on Wall and Booker's jerseys look different than, say, the Celtics' round neck.

Same here. Hate V-necks on classic jerseys.

Some Jersey modfications:

Suns collar/smaller script?, Hornets collar/pinstripes, Hawks collar, Sixers collar, Nets collar (V Neck) also the Spurs are now rocking v necks

EDIT: Sorry if my links arent working, they wouldnt attach properly, try this link and skim through http://tinyurl.com/2b2xq7a

I think Adidas has seriously wronged the NBA in multiple aspects. That ugly collar idea, which they think is so great, is now being implemented far too much.

The stupid wishbone deal looks horrible on the Suns, Sixers, Warriors, Hawks! Why'd they touch the Hawks! It looks heinous. Unnecessary.

I pity Adidas for modernizing the uniforms, which resulted a huge downgrade. What is this, another NCAA? SODish?

And what I'm finding with this new wave of NBA rebrands is pretty much a dearth of creative ingenuity, as if no one really wants to try something "new".

You know you?re quite right, but I think the whole ?Rebrand Movement? is to honestly return to those identities as much as possible.

The "mountainball" era Jazz uniforms were a great example of a little creative ingenuity (with the possible exception of the gradient mountain on the fronts of the road jerseys). Having said that, if the Jazz fanbase wanted that throwback design that bad, I guess it's good on the Jazz that they delivered. Overall, I don't hate it, but the "practice jersey" bevel block numbers have got to go.

You know, I actually explored the possibility of having outlined numbers whether they be block or something else on a uniform with the note wordmark, and for some reason people didn?t like them. One of the examples is below.

RH_Jazz_Home_Mockup1-2.png

RH_Jazz_Away_Mockup1-2.png

RH_Jazz_Alt_Mockup1-2.png

I don't get this new obsession with single layer numbers. Uniforms are either half-assed overdesigns or half-assed underdesigns. Why can we no longer get a respectable, traditional number font? Every team redesigning their unis was coming up with a garish new font (hello, Clippers) to be unique for the past several years. Some teams still do that, but now some go with awful, over-generic single layer fonts? What the hell?

What are you talking about, don?t you see the slight outline around them? thicon_lol.gif

Anyway, my original fear on the away uniforms is that the green would somehow disappear on the dark navy blue background, but thankfully that isn?t the case at all! As you can see from the photo below, the green shows up really well.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Away_Unis_Chest.jpg

Outside.

In sunlight.

That doesn't prove anything - we'll have to see what they look like indoors under artificial light, and what they look like on television.

Don't get me wrong - I still consider this to be an amazing upgrade. But I'm not convinced that the green on the wordmark won't get swallowed up against the blue.

Indeed, we?ll just have to wait and see.

I think Adidas has seriously wronged the NBA in multiple aspects. That ugly collar idea, which they think is so great, is now being implemented far too much.

The stupid wishbone deal looks horrible on the Suns, Sixers, Warriors, Hawks! Why'd they touch the Hawks! It looks heinous. Unnecessary.

Completely agreed!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

The Wizards' unis do indeed appear to have the v-neck. I don't like it.

Here's a video of John Wall being interviewed, wearing the v-neck.

However, I will note that certain teams with uniforms with thick piping and crew necks have suffered from "bacon neck" (the term recently coined in those annoying Hanes commercials); that doesn't happen with v-necks. I've noticed it with the Wizards and Arenas in particular:

ept_sports_nba_experts-37020694-1278081215.jpg?ymAz4YDDk_l7GLuz

Gilbert+Arenas+photo.jpg

But I've seen it on Duncan, too:

tim-duncan-frente-aos-suns.jpg

timduncankevingarnett.jpg

The Cs don't have that problem, but their trim is a lot thinner, at least to my eyes.

So, it could just be an attempt to address a performance issue as the league rolls out the new model of mesh jerseys.

But from an aesthetic perspective: I don't like it.

Looks like there's no more orange insert on the Thunder's collar:

103419791.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6E3A3557BF6458FBAFB2B9AA48A4BB3B53C0EC2A792248938E30A760B0D811297

I think that's an improvement because since there was no collar logo it was basically extraneous anyway.

I think what they did to the Hawks' collar is a disgrace, especially since it appears to be the exact same design (besides the colors) as the Sixers (its an upgrade for PHI though):

103417982.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6B02A394FDC67F7F8FB2B9AA48A4BB3B51732A073C112B0D0E30A760B0D811297

103419616.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E69C5D33D248B6FD02FB2B9AA48A4BB3B5C85E040EDFFE2A3DE30A760B0D811297

EDIT: I like the way the V-Neck looks on the Nets.

The Wizards' unis do indeed appear to have the v-neck. I don't like it.

Here's a video of John Wall being interviewed, wearing the v-neck.

However, I will note that certain teams with uniforms with thick piping and crew necks have suffered from "bacon neck" (the term recently coined in those annoying Hanes commercials); that doesn't happen with v-necks. I've noticed it with the Wizards and Arenas in particular:

ept_sports_nba_experts-37020694-1278081215.jpg?ymAz4YDDk_l7GLuz

Gilbert+Arenas+photo.jpg

But I've seen it on Duncan, too:

tim-duncan-frente-aos-suns.jpg

timduncankevingarnett.jpg

The Cs don't have that problem, but their trim is a lot thinner, at least to my eyes.

So, it could just be an attempt to address a performance issue as the league rolls out the new model of mesh jerseys.

But from an aesthetic perspective: I don't like it.

The Wizards jerseys are indeed now v-necks:

103421322.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6030433746F8FEB0123071E2D2E0A031AD8875D4018D51ADAE30A760B0D811297

(Trevor Booker FYI)

I'm trying really hard not too like them because the striping looks like it belongs on uniforms from the 1950s or 1960s but I just can't. I can't. There's something about them that I love. They look really good.

OK, so one of you folks who is "in the know," if you have a spec sheet for the Cavs uniforms that you were holding out for fear of leaking info too soon, care to share it now?

The Cavs had their uniform unveiling party today and they only showed the jerseys, not the shorts. As I suspected, the jerseys look a lot better in their actual cut as opposed to the replica, but I'm curious to know what the full ensemble looks like together.

EDIT: And before I can post this, EStone comes through. Disregard.

Gawd, that is just boring and disappointing. Chinese counterfeiters would be rejoicing at the sight of this design, were there any players on the Cavs worth counterfeiting. Though, given the trim striping and the motto inside the neck, I gotta ask: Is Dan Gilbert a Barca fan?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think what they did to the Hawks' collar is a disgrace, especially since it appears to be the exact same design (besides the colors) as the Sixers (its an upgrade for PHI though):

103417982.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6B02A394FDC67F7F8FB2B9AA48A4BB3B51732A073C112B0D0E30A760B0D811297

103419616.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E69C5D33D248B6FD02FB2B9AA48A4BB3B5C85E040EDFFE2A3DE30A760B0D811297

Those jerseys look like they're made from the same template. In addition to having the same neck, note the lower shoulder seams, placed about where Nike placed those wishbone stripes on their Elite college unis a few years back.

Adidas is rolling out a new mesh material, but perhaps they're working with the NBA to consolidate uniform templates to reduce production costs. It's not likely (the T'Wolves new uni has the same neck, but lacks the lower shoulder seam), but it's a thought.

Archived