2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

People had to think that falling behind 3 out of 4 games (and nearly doing that in the Algeria game) would bite the Americans in the ass sooner or later...

..It's just that sooner came first. Congrats to Ghana for a hard fought win and for the Americans, this can be labeled as a successful tourny. Think about it: How many of you guys had the Americans winning Group C? Yes, it's another loss in the Round of 16, but the fact that they won the group with England in it is big. Now, if they can just fix those defensive issues and find some good young talent on the road to Brazil in 2014, then maybe the Yanks can make some noise.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ughh....I hate my life.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Things like that ridiculous dive is why the USA wont embrace soccer

No, my issue with soccer is how well the game lends itself to just digging in on defense and by extension, enables teams to go into games with a strategy of "play for the draw." That annoys me.

That's my issue with it. I do enjoy watching soccer quite a bit, but I do struggle to fully embrace a game where in a tournament this big, a team can just play for the draw, which I've seen more than once in this tournament.

The fake injuries don't help, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

This current crop of USMNTers have shown grit and determination, and it still showed even to the bitter end. They showed it when they won the Gold Cup in 2008 to get to the Confederations Cup, they showed it against Egypt to win by 3 to qualify by a miracle, they showed it against Spain when they ended their massive winning streak, they showed flashes of greatness when they got up on Brazil in the final of that tournament, they showed determination whenever they got into a hole against the best that Central America had to offer only to dig themselves out and win their Hex to qualify then they showed it in the group stage in South Africa: Finding a way to grind out a draw against England, coming back from 2 down against Slovenia and rising above the controversy in that game, then fighting until the very last minute to beat Algeria and win the group. Basically, this team may not be the most talented in South Africa, not by a long shot, but they've shown that they have the heart to play with anybody.

Of course, they showed their flaws. They got down early in almost EVERY FREAKIN GAME (just like in qualifying. Just imagine my rage when they go down early on the road to teams like El Salvador.), they were shaky in defense, and the forwards weren't creative enough & it finally cost them against Ghana. However, once Altidore comes of age, that will change. However, just like usual, they fought back and got in it. They kept fighting til the bitter end.

So yeah, at least the grit and determination is there. Once the talent comes into play, the USMNT will come back stronger. I'm proud of em, though. They won the "E.A.S.Y." group (first group victory since 1930. 1930.), and it took them 120 minutes to bow out. Considering the expectations coming in, if you don't consider this a bit of success, then I guess this ain't the sport for you. :P

That being said, great job Ghana for keeping the hope alive for Africa. If Oranje can't win it now, then I hope the Black Stars take it.

Things like that ridiculous dive is why the USA wont embrace soccer

No, my issue with soccer is how well the game lends itself to just digging in on defense and by extension, enables teams to go into games with a strategy of "play for the draw." That annoys me.

One change I would make to the sport (though it would have no effect on knockout games like this one) is to change the points system to link the number of points earned by a win or draw to the number of goals scored. A 1-0 win would be worth just one point. A 2-0 or 2-1 win, two points. Any other winning score (i.e. scoring three goals or more), and you get the full three points. As for draws, a 0-0 draw would be as good as a loss - zero points for both sides. This would discourage playing for the draw, not to mention collusion between sides in the last round of group play in situations where, as it is, both teams can advance with one more point each.

CCSLC signature.png

Given soccers popularity in this country, and the problems arising from cultivating talent, unless something drastic changes, I think our ceiling in the World Cup isnt much higher then this.

I see no reason why the talent level on the USMNT would level off... it has improved from the 80s to the 90s, from the 90s to the 00s, and this WC was an improvement (talent wise) to the 00s. With a growing talent pool and an improving MLS, I think the future looks awful bright for the US team. I look at US soccer like the mineral deposits found in Afghanistan. The talent is there, it's just a matter of time before soccer can start harvesting those resources.

Also, Bradley deserves to be fired. If he puts out the correct eleven, then the US doesn't go down 1 in the early stages of the game and today was not an isolated incident. Part of your job as coach is to make sure your team is ready to play, and his motivating skills are non-existent.

Given soccers popularity in this country, and the problems arising from cultivating talent, unless something drastic changes, I think our ceiling in the World Cup isnt much higher then this.

With a growing talent pool and an improving MLS, I think the future looks awful bright for the US team.

That's the key: It's not like the NASL where they basically imported the best players in the world and said "To hell with international success,", the MLS is actually concerned with cultivating the talent that we have here (and from other "minnow" countries across the world) and turning that talent into future national team success. Guys like Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, and Michael Bradley to name a few are direct results of them going through MLS. Dempsey is now a cult hero at Fulham after his stint in MLS, Altidore's one of the rising stars in club soccer in Europe after a run with Red Bull, Michael Bradley has cemented himself as a solid player after his time with the Revolution, and Donovan proved that he can play with the best that the world has to offer in England after his loan to Everton.

That's just a few. As long as this continues, and as long as MLS continues to expand smartly like they have been doing, the future is bright for soccer in the US.

(Sidenote: Bradley does need to go. I've never really been a fan of his tactics. Findley was CLEARLY not ready for the big time either, yet he was a constant starter. We definitely need to improve at forward, but that's another story for another day. Fact is, I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley go. His son can stay. :P)

Also, Bradley deserves to be fired. If he puts out the correct eleven, then the US doesn't go down 1 in the early stages of the game and today was not an isolated incident. Part of your job as coach is to make sure your team is ready to play, and his motivating skills are non-existent.

As I recall, Bradley was only USSF's second choice to head the team anyway - they wanted Jürgen Klinsmann after the '06 WC but were unable to strike a deal with him in a timely manner. That said, they should (and probably will) wait and see if any other desirable replacement candidates become available before s#|tcanning Bradley. If all they have to choose from are the "sloppy seconds" of other countries that have crashed out, keeping Bradley at the helm might actually be the best choice.

CCSLC signature.png

willmorris: If that "population" logic holds, shouldn't China and India be dominating?

Oh well. England's still alive til tomorrow, when they will be dominated by Germany. But one can dream otherwise...

The Americans failed at this tourney. With a population like ours, the bar has to be set high - win seven games, or it is not successful.

Uh, no. It's about talent, and right now the Americans are seriously lacking in a few departments.

Plus, if it was about population, then countries like Russia, China and India would win all the time and NOT those who don't have populations in the billions like... Oh, say Brazil or Argentina.

The Americans failed at this tourney. With a population like ours, the bar has to be set high - win seven games, or it is not successful.

Uh, no. It's about talent, and right now the Americans are seriously lacking in a few departments.

Plus, if it was about population, then countries like Russia, China and India would win all the time and NOT those who don't have populations in the billions like... Oh, say Brazil or Argentina.

But if you don't set the bar high, then you don't have something to strive for. I mean, it works for England to have the goal of win seven games or it's a failure.

LvZYtbZ.png

If basketball, football, and baseball were marquee sports in Brazil, Germany, Spain, etc., their national teams wouldn't be near as good either. Most of our athletes choose to play other sports.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

But if you don't set the bar high, then you don't have something to strive for. I mean, it works for England to have the goal of win seven games or it's a failure.

As it stands now, even if England goes all the way to win the World Cup they will have only won five out of seven games. Would they really consider that to be a failure?

CCSLC signature.png

Here's the thing, will: The bar has never really set that high to begin with. With England, it makes sense since most of the people there are soccer fans and therefore, the performance of the National team matters a lot.

In the States, soccer is what... 5th or 6th in the American sport fans mind behind American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and maybe College Sports. Soccer is really an afterthought except for these years when the World Cup is ongoing.

Actually Brazil does have a larger population than Russia. And the gulf between the two is only going to increase as Russia's demographic collapse continues over the next few decades.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived