2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

If I were an American my issue would be you have two genuinely good attacking players in Dempsey and Donovan, and didn't play tactically to involve them. The US did a decent job overall mind. given the US's overall talent level the last 16 is a decent effort.

And as unlucky as the US were in some respects in others they were lucky. In 390 minutes of soccer they were in the lead for a minute. They scored a freak equaliser against England. If the US does want to grow into a soccer powerhouse, it would do well to acknowledge these things!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defensive lapses are inexcusable for the US, if it wants to improve those need to go away. The slow starts are also a big problem, weather its lack of focus or not warming up properly they need to fix that problem in the next four years. They can develop attacking players and I think the growth of soccer will continue as the kids watching this team, much like the Women's team 11 year ago will only help to create a new broad talent pool.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Just saw this on Yahoo!... this states what I've been trying to say all along.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Being-coached-by-Bob-Bradley-finally-catches-up-?urn=sow,251589

Being coached by Bob Bradley finally catches up to U.S.

By Brooks Peck

It was bound to happen and against Ghana it did, perhaps a bit earlier than it really should have. The U.S. just fell behind one too many times and their exciting run worth a lot of praise came to an end against a solid Ghana team that deserved the 2-1 win in extra time.

Still, it's difficult to ignore the glaring problems that set this U.S. team up for what can reasonably seen as premature failure. They fought incredibly hard and showed amazing resilience, but in the end, many of the reasons the U.S. is now out of the World Cup can be traced back to coach Bob Bradley.

Coaches are often made into scapegoats and the targets of misguided frustration, but in the case of Bradley it's clear that blame is deserved. In the Ghana game alone, his mistakes were blatant and lethal.

Instead of sticking with the lineup that got them a win over Algeria, he reinserted midfielder Ricardo Clark, who was culpable for England's quick goal against the U.S. in their opening match and all speed but no finish striker Robbie Findley. As a result, the U.S. ended up allowing yet another early goal in just the fifth minute of play off a ball given up by Clark, who then earned a yellow card two minutes later. Bradley finally realized his mistake and pretty much admitted it by substituting Clark in just the 30th minute. Findley, meanwhile, blew a fantastic chance to score by kicking the ball right at the goalkeeper. He was substituted at halftime for Benny Feilhaber, who made an instant impact that could have been just as useful in the first half. That left just one substitute to use after the half in a match that would end up going to extra time.

These issues are hardly new, though. As far back as the World Cup qualifying campaign, the U.S. has been giving up early goals -- a clear sign of poor preparation -- and both Clark and Findley have been proving their shortcomings, as have other players that Bradley stubbornly stuck with time and time again. And so the early goals kept coming, the wrong players kept sneaking into the starting XI, and against Ghana -- a team that only scored off of two penalty kicks in the entirety of the group stage -- it ended. After the match, Landon Donovan said the U.S. was just "too naive," which can really only be taken as a critique of their unacceptable preparation for a team they were favored to beat.

The Fire Bob Bradley campaign has been around for years now and has only been dismissed by the U.S. federation because the team kept rolling along in spite of its coach and his chronic mismanagement. Now that the rolling has stopped and U.S. fans are left frustrated over a favorable path to a World Cup semifinal squandered, it's time to thank Bradley for his commitment and the successes that he did bring and finally bring on a manager who can fully realize the potential (which, to be clear, is far from limitless) this squad has. Or at the very least won't constantly serve as a handicap to a national team ready to mature.

The Americans failed at this tourney. With a population like ours, the bar has to be set high - win seven games, or it is not successful.

Uh, no. It's about talent, and right now the Americans are seriously lacking in a few departments.

Plus, if it was about population, then countries like Russia, China and India would win all the time and NOT those who don't have populations in the billions like... Oh, say Brazil or Argentina.

But if you don't set the bar high, then you don't have something to strive for. I mean, it works for England to have the goal of win seven games or it's a failure.

Here's the thing, will: The bar has never really set that high to begin with. With England, it makes sense since most of the people there are soccer fans and therefore, the performance of the National team matters a lot.

In the States, soccer is what... 5th or 6th in the American sport fans mind behind American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and maybe College Sports. Soccer is really an afterthought except for these years when the World Cup is ongoing.

I just want a United States national team that I can be proud of, one that wins seven games in a single World Cup. That is not too much to ask.

LvZYtbZ.png

The Americans failed at this tourney. With a population like ours, the bar has to be set high - win seven games, or it is not successful.

Uh, no. It's about talent, and right now the Americans are seriously lacking in a few departments.

Plus, if it was about population, then countries like Russia, China and India would win all the time and NOT those who don't have populations in the billions like... Oh, say Brazil or Argentina.

But if you don't set the bar high, then you don't have something to strive for. I mean, it works for England to have the goal of win seven games or it's a failure.

Here's the thing, will: The bar has never really set that high to begin with. With England, it makes sense since most of the people there are soccer fans and therefore, the performance of the National team matters a lot.

In the States, soccer is what... 5th or 6th in the American sport fans mind behind American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and maybe College Sports. Soccer is really an afterthought except for these years when the World Cup is ongoing.

I just want a United States national team that I can be proud of, one that wins seven games in a single World Cup. That is not too much to ask.

This doesnt deserve a response...but you honestly expect your team, any team to go through the entire World cup with a 100% record?

1zqy8ok.gif

This doesnt deserve a response...but you honestly expect your team, any team to go through the entire World cup with a 100% record?

If France could do it in 1998...

LvZYtbZ.png

If France could do it in 1998...

... or Brazil in 2002... (without needing a shootout)

I saw, I came, I left.

Even with that quadrant, I did not think that the team could get past the quarters. We are ranked in the FIFA top 16 FWIW, and got that far. (The rankings are somewhat odd since Portugal is #3). Today was disappointing from most of the points which Saintsfan gave: lack of attacking players with supreme dribbling skills and giving up very early goals. They actually only led for a total of 206 seconds.

With the back, if Howard going to be considered the best GK that the USA produced, then how long befor we see his equal?

This is the last post I'm gonna use on the United States Men's National Team. While I'm not gonna say "I told you so", I told you so!

Going into their game against against Ghana, who were arguably the worst team to qualify for the Round of 16, you KNEW the let-down was going to happen. It never fails when Team USA is favored to win. They played uninspired, and were more than ready to pack their bags and call a trip to the Knockout Stage a 'success'. No defense in the first half. the only thing stopping the Ghana attack, was their fatigue in the 2nd half. The also USA had many chances in the 2nd half while Ghana was catching their breath. While Kingson who was superb, most of it was due to USA's laziness and inability to finish (I'm looking at your Altidore and Bradley!). With teammates like that, Landon Donovan has got to wish he were born in Europe.

In the end, the team who deserved to advance did, and America's interest in soccer goes back into another 4-year hiatus.

6uXNWAo.png

Germany just went up 2-0 on England on what was probably the best team goal of the World Cup so far.

Of course, this means that England are in deep dook right now.

England just got robbed in broad daylight!!!!!

I'd say 1966 Final in reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3FvB_lwz6A&translated=1

Probably why you won't hear anybody supporting Germany crying foul. Terrible officiating mistake or not, karma just struck back after 44 years. :P

EDIT: I still can't believe it. That ball was MORE than in. The referee was literally the only person in the stadium that didn't see it go in.

I don't know what the view was like of that official, but I could tell it when in even before the replay.

I think the whole world new it was in. This is the last game this referee will be involved in this World Cup. Lets hope he enjoys it.

untitled-6.jpg

I don't know what the view was like of that official, but I could tell it when in even before the replay.

Here's how you can see how the ref saw it: Place a ball where it it bounced, stand in the middle of a soccer pitch, take a look at the net, and determine whether it was clearly in from that vantage point... but the ref should have at least consulted with the linesman because the linesman had a better view than the referee.

EDIT: After looking at the replay, the referee was in the penalty box, but the keeper may been blocked his view of the ball.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived