Three NHL Seasons of the RBK Edge Uniform System

Morgan33

I just hope that if the Flyers are able to really accomplish something this year that it happens at home, so the lasting memory and images don't show them in a (not horrible, but not good either) jersey that will be retired after the season.

So you'd instead prefer seeing them in an outright horrible jersey? I'm sorry, but the fact that the Flyers were once great in that jersey still doesn't make it anything approaching good. The white nameplate, the orange sleeve numbers that bleed into the orange sections of the sleeve - those are just abominations, and the stupid contrasting nameplate is going to be artificially re-created on the away jerseys come next year. And any claims they ma stake to "keeping true to the original design" get tossed out the window with that black nameplate, too, so there's officially no excuse for them to be that ugly.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00panthers4-1.jpg

*weeps tears of joy*

That might be my all-time favorite NHL jersey, and I'm not even kidding.

I wouldn't say it's my all time favourite, but it's one of the best, easily. I have no idea why they decided they needed to change it.

(Oh, and why would you pull for a usually-hated enemy to win the Cup? Gross. If Chicago wins the Cup this year, it'll be the worst thing to happen in the history of me watching hockey. [And, yes, I just ignored my own request, I suppose.])

Since you asked, it's because I want to see a Canadian team win the Cup. Montreal was the last to do it in 1993 (appropriate given it was the 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Cup, and the Montreal AAA/Winged Wheelers were the first to win it in 1893). If Canadian teams had won it periodically between now and then, or even if Calgary or Edmonton pulled it out, I probably wouldn't have pulled for the Sens, or be pulling for the Habs. In actuality though, I would like to see the Cup come back home to Canada one more time before I start putting team allegiances ahead of national ones come playoff times.

I just hope that if the Flyers are able to really accomplish something this year that it happens at home, so the lasting memory and images don't show them in a (not horrible, but not good either) jersey that will be retired after the season.

So you'd instead prefer seeing them in an outright horrible jersey? I'm sorry, but the fact that the Flyers were once great in that jersey still doesn't make it anything approaching good. The white nameplate, the orange sleeve numbers that bleed into the orange sections of the sleeve - those are just abominations, and the stupid contrasting nameplate is going to be artificially re-created on the away jerseys come next year. And any claims they ma stake to "keeping true to the original design" get tossed out the window with that black nameplate, too, so there's officially no excuse for them to be that ugly.

The Flyers were perfect, uniform wise, between 1984 and 1997. Even the black sweater that was added in 1997 was ok as long as it was the alternate.

Even the immediate Edge set would have been alright if they just made the home darks orange instead of black.

The throwback stuff? Eh, you're right, to many problems. It's best left in the past.

(Oh, and why would you pull for a usually-hated enemy to win the Cup? Gross. If Chicago wins the Cup this year, it'll be the worst thing to happen in the history of me watching hockey. [And, yes, I just ignored my own request, I suppose.])

Since you asked, it's because I want to see a Canadian team win the Cup. Montreal was the last to do it in 1993 (appropriate given it was the 100th Anniversary of the Stanley Cup, and the Montreal AAA/Winged Wheelers were the first to win it in 1893). If Canadian teams had won it periodically between now and then, or even if Calgary or Edmonton pulled it out, I probably wouldn't have pulled for the Sens, or be pulling for the Habs. In actuality though, I would like to see the Cup come back home to Canada one more time before I start putting team allegiances ahead of national ones come playoff times.

Do Viking fans cheer for the Packers? Do Redskins fans cheer for the Cowboys? Do Inter fans cheer for AC Milan? Do Yankee fans cheer for the Red Sox?

[Mod edit: Off-topic stuff redacted.]

Jersey discussion: I've never understood the love for the original Florida jersey. To me it's just blah.

Nowhere did I say that the orange jersey was a good or great jersey - just that I'd rather not see them win it in a jersey that was short lived and scrapped imediately after the season. There are plenty of issues with the orange jersey, just like there is with the white version for next year. I do think that minus the name plate, it's a superior jersey to the 1st-version edge look.

Something that's a little cool - I was in City Sports the other day, and noticed that the employee "uniform" is an orange City Sports t-shirt that has a white nameplate on the back that reads "staff". I've also seen other orange shirts around the city that just have things written on white nameplates (not Flyers related.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

[Mod edit: Off-topic stuff redacted.]

Jersey discussion: I've never understood the love for the original Florida jersey. To me it's just blah.

Well I can only guess as to why others think it's good, but for me it's a few factors.

The colours are bright enough to suggest "Miami" without being gaudy. The design is modern enough to fit a recent expansion team, yet traditional enough that it doesn't look like a mess. The logo is striking, and the alternate is simple enough to convey the proper message about the team while still adding to the identity.

To Mockba: I don't mean to be insubordinate, but this did all start with a discussion of uniform design, specifically the flags on the Calgary Flames jersey. While I did giggle a bit at the responses I got, I was able to somewhat tie my thoughts into the realm of the discussion topic and the purpose of this site without resorting to abusive language.

To ice_cap: Inter = Internationale Milano ;)

It started there, but it cascaded out into something that's not really welcome in the Sports Logos portion of the board; in the Sports in General part, there's a pinned thread dedicated to the topic.

So, yeah, more talk of aesthetics and less bickering about regionalism, team loyalties, etc. More of that red Panthers sweater. And definitely more cowbell.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It started there, but it cascaded out into something that's not really welcome in the Sports Logos portion of the board; in the Sports in General part, there's a pinned thread dedicated to the topic.

So, yeah, more talk of aesthetics and less bickering about regionalism, team loyalties, etc. More of that red Panthers sweater. And definitely more cowbell.

Done. Nashville: The whole identity package sucks. Move that team to KC and call them the Scouts. Would they need the Devils permission to do so?

Islanders: the royal blue is much better than navy blue, but go back to the Stanley Cup winning jersey, not the 1972 original. Otherwise, move that team to KC and call them the Scouts.

Sharks: California Golden Seals throwback, complete with white skates!

Capitals: This team is good design wise. Change nothing.

Atlanta: Baby blue jersey on a less radical template.

Blue Jackets: Cleveland Barons throwback.

Here is another Jersey set that needs to be scrapped sooner then later. I was a huge fan of Florida's original identity and when they released these, it was a huge dissapointment.

00panthers1.jpg00panthers2.jpg

I wish they could find a way to just edgify these beauties...

00panthers4-1.jpg

The Panthers are one of those rare teams that got their identity absolutely perfect the first time and all subsequent attempts at expanding or improving upon it have been a failure. Starting with the Navy Alt released in 1999 (basically a copy of their orginal jerseys) and bottoming out with their current powder blue and navy thirds.

I would say the same of the Avalanche (yeah I'm partisan, but from a design stand point their original set could be considered a modern classic).

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

This would be the NHL equivalent of the Flames donning Edmonton Oil Kings throwbacks. There is no tie between the ill-fated Barons and the Blue Jackets, and highly limited regional ties because Columbus is 2 and half hours south of Cleveland.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

More of that red Panthers sweater. And definitely more cowbell.

If we can convince the Panthers to have a "Cowbell Giveaway Night" on the same evening as a "Throwback Jersey Night", I'll actually give a crap about them for once.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here is another Jersey set that needs to be scrapped sooner then later. I was a huge fan of Florida's original identity and when they released these, it was a huge dissapointment.

00panthers1.jpg00panthers2.jpg

I wish they could find a way to just edgify these beauties...

00panthers4-1.jpg

The Panthers are one of those rare teams that got their identity absolutely perfect the first time and all subsequent attempts at expanding or improving upon it have been a failure. Starting with the Navy Alt released in 1999 (basically a copy of their orginal jerseys) and bottoming out with their current powder blue and navy thirds.

I would say the same of the Avalanche (yeah I'm partisan, but from a design stand point their original set could be considered a modern classic).

Agree with you 100%, their original jerseys were perfect in every conceivable way. The first mistep happened when they darkened the burgundy, the second was adding that New-York Rangers-Knockoff alternate. The introduction of the Edge system was when they tossed all design sense out of the window. All the jerseys in their current set are an eyesore.

This would be the NHL equivalent of the Flames donning Edmonton Oil Kings throwbacks. There is no tie between the ill-fated Barons and the Blue Jackets, and highly limited regional ties because Columbus is 2 and half hours south of Cleveland.

Wow, reminds me of NHL hitz. "Hey, they're in the same state, let's give them these throwback jerseys of a team nobody remembers." As far as I can tell everyone in Cleveland is too distracted by Lebron to even care about the Blue Jackets. Plus, everyone I talk to from Cleveland has no idea they ever had an NHL team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Done. Nashville: The whole identity package sucks. Move that team to KC and call them the Scouts. Would they need the Devils permission to do so?

I don't think the Devils would mind, but the league might. The NHL handles stuff like this. They may not be on board with another team claiming a legacy that isn't their own.

Really, I don't see the attachment to the Scouts name. It kind of symbolizes failed hockey to me. The Predators have been in Nashville longer then the Scouts were in KC. If KC ever gets another team they need a new identity. Though I wouldn't mind it if they used the KC logo on its own as an alternate.

Islanders: the royal blue is much better than navy blue, but go back to the Stanley Cup winning jersey, not the 1972 original. Otherwise, move that team to KC and call them the Scouts.

If the Islanders are the team to make the move to KC I would like to see them keep the name Islanders. Just to bug the people who think the Jazz, Hornets, and Bobcats should switch names :P

Sharks: California Golden Seals throwback, complete with white skates!

Good idea, actually. The Sharks are, in my mind at least, the continuation of the Seals/Golden Seals/Barons franchise. I think it would be neat if they and the league acknowledged it.

Capitals: This team is good design wise. Change nothing.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think this look could stand one major tweak. The logo, while as good an update of the original as you can get, is still nothing more then a wordmark. The W/Capital Dome/eagle is a great mark. I would love to see that elevated to the front of the sweaters.

Atlanta: Baby blue jersey on a less radical template.

I like the one sleeve thing, actually. From day one this team has made it a point to not be a traditional franchise, aesthetically speaking. The powder blue jerseys with only one sleeve being navy strangely works for them. This is a team, I think, where everything we think would suck somehow manages to work (yes, I like their alternates).

Well the Barons are part of the Seals/Golden Seals/Sharks lineage. So if any team should wear Barons throwbacks, it's the Sharks.

Plus, the Jackets have no attachment to the Barons, other then playing in the same state.

The Canadiens need tie-down collars. I know it's become a slightly overused fad, but if it would work for any team, it's Montreal.

Vancouver, wow. The sad thing here is that this is their best all-around look yet, but it still needs major tweaking. First problem is that the home and alternate sweaters are so similar it almost seems like "why bother?" So scrap the alternate, and focus on the home and road. Scrap the arched VANCOUVER and scrap the orca. Use the skating Johnny Canuck as the primary and use the updated rink in stick as the alternate. Then don't change anything ever.

I'll echo STL's sentiments. The Blues' alternate looks great, and works perfectly for what it was designed to be. It just doesn't work as a primary Blues home sweater though. Just change the home and road set to the pre-Edge design St. Louis.

I'm wondering, would it be to terrible if Pittsburgh went back to their 90s Cup era sets? What they're wearing now, it just sucks. Something like this would be ideal. I think the alternate is different enough from the home to work, despite both being black....

Penguins21.png

Ottawa, just throwing this out there, is it possible to ditch the Roman theme? Yes, I get it, Canadian Senate->Senators->Rome had senators. Kind of a stretch if you ask me though.

Overall I would say that the tv numbers on the front need to go. They add nothing aesthetically speaking, and it's not like commentators and fans were having trouble telling who was who pre-Edge.

To ice_cap: Inter = Internationale Milano ;)

Ah, my mistake then. My apologies.

I agree with those above who call the original Panthers and Avalanche unis were modern classics ruined by this edge system.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I'm wondering, would it be to terrible if Pittsburgh went back to their 90s Cup era sets? What they're wearing now, it just sucks. Something like this would be ideal. I think the alternate is different enough from the home to work, despite both being black....

Penguins21.png

Hmmm - how about this for the Penguins. Since the Islanders are going retro and dropping their orange-sleeved template how about updating the 1980-1992 Penguins by using that template, bringing back the yellow "athletic gold" instead of the current Vegas gold? While I did like the black jersey with the diagonal "Pittsburgh" that ran from 1992/93 until 1996/97 evidently the players of that era (including the current owner) didn't like it so I doubt that one will make a comeback.

Archived