Changes coming to Washington Wizards?

gueman

Just got this...

"Dear Caps Fan,

By now you have probably heard the news that my partners and I have completed our purchase of the Washington Wizards and Verizon Center and created a new company ? Monumental Sports & Entertainment ? that owns those entities as well as the Capitals and the Mystics.

You?re likely to see and hear more from me on this news in the coming days ? in the media, on my blog (www.tedstake.com), at the NBA Draft. It?s big news, and something my partners, my family and I are very excited about.

But I?m here to assure you that even if you hear me talking about the Wizards a lot, I haven?t ? and never will ? overlook the Capitals and our commitment to bring a Stanley Cup to Washington. I will continue to be focused on your well being and happiness.

A few people have asked how I expect to juggle these new responsibilities. I believe I?ve always been someone with great ?bandwidth? to cover a variety of interests, including different companies, film projects and, foremost, my family. The Wizards will have a place in those interests, no bigger or smaller than the Caps ? just as I don?t choose between my son and my daughter!

The creation of Monumental actually creates opportunities that I hope Capitals fans are excited about. We now program Verizon Center and we hope to be able to offer terrific new cross-marketing opportunities to our fans. We plan to continue to improve the fan experience at Verizon Center and will count on your feedback to do so. And we will over-index on scheduling and maintenance-oriented projects related to all of your teams.

Thanks as always for your support, and I will see you at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the Caps Convention and Verizon Center in the upcoming months. And I?m always available to you at washingtoncaps@aol.com.

Sincerely,

Ted Leonsis"

He has said in the past he would like to change the colors, and he knew the name change from Bullets was something the Pollin family felt strongly about. Could a total re-brand be in the offering dropping Wizards and Mystics names and going to a Red White and Blue color scheme and patriotic name theme for all be what is coming?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree with you I don't think it will happen. Ted L. hinted as much when he bought the team. He mentioned how important the name change was to Abe Pollin and he would not want to upset the family. But...maybe the only thing important to ol' Abe was the $$$ he thought he would make off the re-branding.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Bring Back the Bullets!

That is all.

Bullets is, was, and always will be a stupid name.

Washington Bullets...yes. But the Baltimore Bullets has a historical context along with good alliteration. That being said I think all teams should change their names when they move. But that is a topic for another thread.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

While I agree with you I don't think it will happen. Ted L. hinted as much when he bought the team. He mentioned how important the name change was to Abe Pollin and he would not want to upset the family. But...maybe the only thing important to ol' Abe was the $$$ he thought he would make off the re-branding.

I thought it was pretty much a well-known fact that the last straw that got Polin to change the name was when his friend, Israel Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, was assassinated.

If Abe was worried about a cash grab, he wouldn't have built the Verizon Center with his own money, would he? He just would have sucked the money out of the taxpayers like most of these other owners.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think the Wizards name, logos and jerseys are all horrible and the colors are just bad. However, the Bullets name isn't coming back. I guess they could find some patriotic team name, but with no history or name tying them to red white and blue, I would prefer them to pick a unique color scheme.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I thought it was pretty much a well-known fact that the last straw that got Polin to change the name was when his friend, Israel Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, was assassinated.

If Abe was worried about a cash grab, he wouldn't have built the Verizon Center with his own money, would he? He just would have sucked the money out of the taxpayers like most of these other owners.

As far as the Verizon Center he did make a tidy profit off the redevelopment of the Cap Center redevelopment. As for the Rabin thing, well that makes for a nice story, and who knows. What about the hundreds that get murdered in DC and Baltimore each year? Did they mean nothing until Rabin got assassinated. As for the word of Abe IIRC when we bought the Bullets in the early 70's he said something like he had no desire to move them from Baltimore...then POOF they were the Capital Bullets. Granted the Civic Center was a dump, but he was full of crap when he said he was not going to move them. Hell he already owned the land in Landover when he said that.

...but back to the Thread...

I am guessing he will change the name of both to something like Washington Power (NBA) and Washington Glory (WNBA). Yea both are on the suck end of the stick. But from a design standpoint they are open ended and "could" become cool logos.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

Just got this...

"Dear Caps Fan,

By now you have probably heard the news that my partners and I have completed our purchase of the Washington Wizards and Verizon Center and created a new company ? Monumental Sports & Entertainment ? that owns those entities as well as the Capitals and the Mystics.

You're likely to see and hear more from me on this news in the coming days ? in the media, on my blog (www.tedstake.com), at the NBA Draft. It's big news, and something my partners, my family and I are very excited about.

Judging by the fact that you chose to bold the bolded part, I'm assuming that you are hinting that this "news" involves a name change or some other significant change (logo, colors, etc.)

The way I'm reading this, the "news" is the "news that my partners and I have completed our purchase... ...and created a new company..."

It just means that they're going to do a lot of talking about the new organization. It doesn't imply anything about logo / name changes. I realize he made a statement where he didn't rule it out, but this particular release doesn't seem to imply even the slightest thing about that...

... unless I'm reading it wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bring Back the Bullets!

That is all.

Washington Bullets...yes. But the Baltimore Bullets has a historical context along with good alliteration. That being said I think all teams should change their names when they move. But that is a topic for another thread.

Why? The reason I ask is that I my boss and I have been entangled in this debate for the last 2 months. Like you, I think teams should change names after a move. He believes that owners have no obligation to the city from which the team moves. I would just be interested in hearing your reasons.

Bring Back the Bullets!

That is all.

Why? The reason I ask is that I my boss and I have been entangled in this debate for the last 2 months. Like you, I think teams should change names after a move. He believes that owners have no obligation to the city from which the team moves. I would just be interested in hearing your reasons.

For me when a team associates its name with the city, that name should stay with the city forever. If the owners want to move around over the years, then leave the city name off your team. Simply be the Colts not Baltimore Colts or Browns not Cleveland Browns.

Yes, I know this is oversimplification but I feel it has merit. As an owner, if you take on the name of a city, it then becomes part of the name too and should not be split.

There is only one name suitable for that team:

The Washington Generals.

They even lose like the Generals lol... I'm sure they could buy the rights, and have the original Generals just play as one of their other many names from then on.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I know this may be out in left field (or out from near halfcourt, seing as how we are talking hoops), But how about Washington Obamas?

1) He lives in DC

2) Most powerful Black man in the world, in American sport which is most dominate by black men.

3) He attended a Wizards game (Bush did not).

4) I would be willing to wager that at least 90% of NBA players, who did vote, voted for Obama.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I know this may be out in left field (or out from near halfcourt, seing as how we are talking hoops), But how about Washington Obamas?

1) He lives in DC

2) Most powerful Black man in the world, in American sport which is most dominate by black men.

3) He attended a Wizards game (Bush did not).

4) I would be willing to wager that at least 90% of NBA players, who did vote, voted for Obama.

that would not isolate any fans or anything. What if he doesn't win reelection? That would truly be epic fail.

Washington Presidents would work if you wanted to keep with a theme.

They could do a play on elections also like the temporary New Hampshire Primaries (who btw, had a great logo package)

Archived