Changes coming to Washington Wizards?

gueman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The red and blue really seem to accentuate the suck-ballsiness of that logo.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Indeed. The whole "Wizards" identity is a mess anyway, in my opinion. Aside from my dislike for the logo and name, it's also kind of redundant. The Orlando Magic have the whole magic theme covered. It would be like if a new NBA or NHL team named themselves the Royals.

Is Bullets a good name? Not particularly, but it's better then Wizards, and Bullets seems to be what the fans want. The whole argument about firearms being made illegal in Washington DC is pointless, since people have always advocated the name Senators for various DC-area teams, despite the District of Columbia not having any representation in the US Senate. So if Senators still works, then Bullets should work as well.

The team has a history with the Bullets name, regardless of the quality of that name, so really I don't see a problem with them using it. It's not a good name, but the one they have now is worse. They don't even have to go back to the red, white, and blue look. The orange and navy throwbacks they wore five years ago looked nice.

Here's an excellent opportunity to start the movement toward using "D.C." as the location designation. Do it, Leonsis!! D.C. Nationals, Capitals, and new nicknames for the Wizards and Redskins...it flows off the tongue, and is less ambiguous than Washington. When I was a little kid, I always thought the Caps, Bullets and 'Skins played in Washington state.

Also, I noticed this after I posted:

Quote: Ice_Cap: Indeed. The whole "Wizards" identity is a mess anyway, in my opinion. Aside from my dislike for the logo and name, it's also kind of redundant. The Orlando Magic have the whole magic theme covered. It would be like if a new NBA or NHL team named themselves the Royals

Odd that you pick that kind of identity to cite, as it's already saturated by the Royals, and the NBA & NHL Kings.

Here's an excellent opportunity to start the movement toward using "D.C." as the location designation. Do it, Leonsis!! D.C. Nationals, Capitals, and new nicknames for the Wizards and Redskins...it flows off the tongue, and is less ambiguous than Washington. When I was a little kid, I always thought the Caps, Bullets and 'Skins played in Washington state.

Quote: Ice_Cap: Indeed. The whole "Wizards" identity is a mess anyway, in my opinion. Aside from my dislike for the logo and name, it's also kind of redundant. The Orlando Magic have the whole magic theme covered. It would be like if a new NBA or NHL team named themselves the Royals

Odd that you pick that kind of identity to cite, as it's already saturated by the Royals, and the NBA & NHL Kings.

Ummm....Leonsis has no say in what the Nats or (especially) the Redskins do.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Yes, but MLB's Royals don't play in the same league as either the NBA or NHL's Kings. If a new team in, say, the NBA named themselves the Royals it would be as redundant as having the Magic and Wizards in the same league.

While I do like the Eagles opportunities and patriotic theme I just don't see them using the same name as another Pro team.

Works OK for the Cardinals.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

True but I think it made sense because they use to share the same city( St.Louis).Even though the football Cardinals originally started out in Chicago. I really like the sound of Monuments and Federals but I'm not even sure if they will even change names the more you listen to the owner it sounds like more of a re-branding of the Wizards.

Ummm....Leonsis has no say in what the Nats or (especially) the Redskins do.

That's why I said it was an opportunity to start the movement.

Washington Windjammers.

Nautical theme.

Strong logo potential.

I like it, but it seems more fitting for a Chicago team.

I'm gonna have to give my endorsement for Washington Monuments. I prefer names that tie in regionally while being appropriate for a basketball team and Monuments works on both counts. Plus it derives from the name of the ownership which, unfortunately, has precedent in the NBA... although unlike Bobcats, Monuments doesn't suck.

I'm gonna have to give my endorsement for Washington Monuments. I prefer names that tie in regionally while being appropriate for a basketball team and Monuments works on both counts. Plus it derives from the name of the ownership which, unfortunately, has precedent in the NBA... although unlike Bobcats, Monuments doesn't suck.

How is Monuments appropriate to basketball? I guess players are tall...but monuments are immobile. I don't think it works on either level; it basically only works as a pun. Except it's not a pun. It's just giving the team a nonsensical name that is the same as something else more famous.

I think people like this idea because they unconscionsly think "hey, I've heard of the Washington Monument...it must be a clever name." It's just a word association; "Monument" might be the first word you think of when you hear "Washington."

But it would be as stupid a name as the "Washington Irvings", "Washington Dulles International Airports", or..."Buffalo Bills."

Going back to Bullets would be tolerable, but too disrespectful to Pollin. Changing the name to something else would be bush league. Wizards is an acceptable name, and yet another name change would be unproffessional.

The Bullets had a unique, but kind of garish and ugly identity; when they dropped the stripes, they were just awful. Meanwhile, while the logo is too abstract looking and is pretty bad; the primary Wizards colors jerseys have always been distinctive and nice, IMO.

When they switched from red/white/blue to the current colors, it was the kind of move I would advocate for the Clippers; to go back would be a step back .

Washington Windjammers.

Nautical theme.

Strong logo potential.

I like it, but it seems more fitting for a Chicago team.

I totally agree with preferring regional nicknames, and think red, white and blue should naturally go with such a change. Monuments is cool because it says "massive, tall". At the same time, it doesn't work for me, because it also says "completely stationary". That's not a good connotation for a basketball team, and in fact the polar opposite of what I understood the inspiration for Bullets to be. Generals would be silly too, as it's synonymous with the Globetrotters and losing. Presidents would bug the crap out of me, because there's only one president at a time. I could accept Senators since the new baseball team rejected it, or even something plain as Eagles as long as it was a clear Bald Eagle, red, white and blue identity.

Archived